Why become a member? ×

Upcoming Bassists or unheard bassists

Themrperson

To be honest with you, I'm bored but the whole idea of this is not underrated bassists (it may seem like it, but it is not to me) but bassists (in a band or solo) which show great potential or do a great job in fulling their role. Whether this be by cool rifts or a brilliant display of skill, with more potential to become better. I'm going to get things started with two of my favourite bassists.

Tom Doyle - Don Broco
This guy has style and awesome rifts. It is hard to describe without listening to it but it quite funky but also rocky. To me it shows a bit of diversity in his abilities. A weird thing he does is use a 5 string, when the guitarist uses a 6 string guitar, but it is also peculiar in that genre of music. I've never seen someone use a 5 string in this Brit Rock/Pop-Punk style of music before. If I did, it was probably due to a tribute band and the bassist was used to a 5 string but never used the B string, but he does! It is part of the reason why I find him so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-bAHQs1cc

Luke Prebble - Canterbury
My favourite out of the two and one of my top ten bassists at this moment. He is very talented when I heard the chorus of Diver, I instantly feel in love with it. Most of it is quite good and is a good example of there can be brilliant bassists in that genre. It is not that one song has a good bassline feel, it is most of them. I have only listen to one song where is it simple and a bit boring (one of their bests though) but this can easily be forgiven as he always makes him self heard through the other instruments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jyZT9kmesg
(Wait for the chorus at 1:03)

So, tell us all who you think is an upcoming bassist of the future or really good unheard ones.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Darryll Clarkson - had played with the (now disbanded) Profane and now plays with Cyril Snear.

Darryll's been a mate for about 15 years, much more so in the last 3/4 years.

You'd probably know him if you've shopped for a bass in Manchester; he currently holds the dubious moniker of having worked in 99% of the guitar shops in Manchester in the last 15 years.

He's a great all rounder, and having 'duetted' a few times, I really bow to his prowess.

Anyhow, a quick google of either band will show plenty of material.

Darryll is well worth checking out - great to see him out playing shows again.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='Themrperson' timestamp='1373393930' post='2137106']
To be honest with you, I'm bored but the whole idea of this is not underrated bassists (it may seem like it, but it is not to me) but bassists (in a band or solo) which show great potential or do a great job in fulling their role. Whether this be by cool rifts or a brilliant display of skill, with more potential to become better. I'm going to get things started with two of my favourite bassists.

Tom Doyle - Don Broco
This guy has style and awesome rifts. It is hard to describe without listening to it but it quite funky but also rocky. To me it shows a bit of diversity in his abilities. A weird thing he does is use a 5 string, when the guitarist uses a 6 string guitar, but it is also peculiar in that genre of music. I've never seen someone use a 5 string in this Brit Rock/Pop-Punk style of music before. If I did, it was probably due to a tribute band and the bassist was used to a 5 string but never used the B string, but he does! It is part of the reason why I find him so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-bAHQs1cc

My favourite out of the two and one of my top ten bassists at this moment. He is very talented when I heard the chorus of Diver, I instantly feel in love with it. Most of it is quite good and is a good example of there can be brilliant bassists in that genre. It is not that one song has a good bassline feel, it is most of them. I have only listen to one song where is it simple and a bit boring (one of their bests though) but this can easily be forgiven as he always makes him self heard through the other instruments.

So, tell us all who you think is an upcoming bassist of the future or really good unheard ones.
[/quote]

Need to correct you on Don Broco, the tracks on the album are recorded by the old bassist (forget his name) and where played on a Warwick double buck 4 atring which was detuned to drop D for most songs. They're roots are in some weird screamo modern metal. Check out Thug Work out for old old stuff, and check out the big fat smile EP, amazing tracks on there for bass playing, beautiful morning is my favourite.

Tom Doyle is a great bassist though and playing what they play while being so active on stage is incredible. And both him and the old guy are on my top list of fav players.

I really rate doug johns as a live player and I really dig his sound too, but his overall composition is a bit lackluster, same for square pusher someone I would see live but find hard to listen too on record.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1373398485' post='2137191']
Darryll Clarkson - had played with the (now disbanded) Profane and now plays with Cyril Snear.

You'd probably know him if you've shopped for a bass in Manchester; he currently holds the dubious moniker of having worked in 99% of the guitar shops in Manchester in the last 15 years.

He's a great all rounder, and having 'duetted' a few times, I really bow to his prowess.

[/quote]is he about 30 ish. long hair. did he go to scarborough uni. if so i know him. ask him if he remembers Tom from scarboro and manc. he was always mega dedicated to bass, metal and getting better.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1373404224' post='2137295']
Need to correct you on Don Broco, the tracks on the album are recorded by the old bassist (forget his name) and where played on a Warwick double buck 4 atring which was detuned to drop D for most songs. They're roots are in some weird screamo modern metal. Check out Thug Work out for old old stuff, and check out the big fat smile EP, amazing tracks on there for bass playing, beautiful morning is my favourite.

Tom Doyle is a great bassist though and playing what they play while being so active on stage is incredible. And both him and the old guy are on my top list of fav players.

[/quote]

Yeah I know that, when I listen to Thug Workout, I was like "Ok...." but I still liked it. (Love the music video). I knew that they had a new bassist but I thought he left a while before Priorities, but I'm wrong! Still a great bassist though but I swear I've seen a live video of him playing the B string. Anyway you can add Luke Rayner to the list then as unheard bassists. (Old Don Broco bassist)

[quote name='Themrperson' timestamp='1373407156' post='2137373']

Yeah I know that, when I listen to Thug Workout, I was like "Ok...." but I still liked it. (Love the music video). I knew that they had a new bassist but I thought he left a while before Priorities, but I'm wrong! Still a great bassist though but I swear I've seen a live video of him playing the B string. Anyway you can add Luke Rayner to the list then as unheard bassists. (Old Don Broco bassist)
[/quote]

Sorry must have missed something in using my mobile haha. Yeah TD uses a 5 string Spector, songs like fancy dress are technically Easter to play with a Low B, but Luke Raynor ( thanks for that got totally stuck on his name) used and recorded with a 4 string in drop D. It's always a ball ache whenever their songs come up in my play along playlist as I've learnt some in everyday, playing up an octave, playing drop D and playinging tuned to D standard. I wouldn't say what I have said is set in stone but I know on a couple of tunes Luke did just play in drop D. And many sexy girls walked up to him.

Posted some of their vids a few months ago but think he deserves another mention.

Joe Dart - Vulfpeck

Just think its good music done with good humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRV0c1KXYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npqD602G90o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesuSizNW-8

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1373404496' post='2137303']
is he about 30 ish. long hair.

he was always mega dedicated to bass, metal and getting better.
[/quote]

Darryll's now got mid length hair...the rest seems about right.

Ultra humble, and a great lad... in fact, I'm out for a few pints with him tomorrow; I'll ask!

He probably wouldn't thank me for this but for me one of the best bass players i have ever seen and(or) heard is a fellow Nottingham guy named Wayne Evans....
His band in the Seventies..Gaffa... were awesome. He then set up a fab outfit called Marcel Marceau Sound...
He plays bass and sings lead vocals (the vocals in a very distinctive Nottingham accent) and he amazes me every time I see him...

He has done many things over the thirty to forty years i have known of him...I can't say known him because although he recognises me when we meet he has never been a close friend....check out the last pedestrians for his current ...and fabulous...upright bass material.

Edited by Raymondo

Guest markinthegreen

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1373411236' post='2137425']
Darryll's now got mid length hair...the rest seems about right.

Ultra humble, and a great lad... in fact, I'm out for a few pints with him tomorrow; I'll ask!
[/quote]

I wonder where Darryll gets his hair done?

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1373398485' post='2137191']

[/quote] I may have seen him then...

[quote name='Themrperson' timestamp='1373393930' post='2137106']

[/quote]

Totally with you on this, both albums are great. I really like the baseline for 'Calm Down'. I saw them on there last tour with Mallory Knox supporting, great live band.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='hernandoitwt' timestamp='1373442439' post='2137533']
Totally with you on this, both albums are great. I really like the baseline for 'Calm Down'. I saw them on there last tour with Mallory Knox supporting, great live band.
[/quote]

Yeah Calm Down is great but I really like ambulance a lot to!