Why become a member? ×

Seperate Sections ??

ChrisF

Ive been bouncing around the internet looking at other bass sites (well I dont have a lot else to do at the moment :blush: )

And I noticed that one of them had seperate sections for different types of player/music. EG: Jazz, Classical, Rockabilly/Psycho etc.

I thought that this was quite a good idea as some questions we may have are specific to the type of music we play.

What do you guys think ??

Ive put a poll on because...well Ive just worked out that I can :D

But obviously the ultimate outcome is down to the people who run this site. As I don't how easy/difficult it would be to add music sections.

I don't think that would work on a forum this size. A lot of us are playing music that couldn't really be described as Jazz, Classical or Rockabilly, so which section would we use? Plus, there is no reason why players in one style might not have insights which are interesting to players in other styles.

To be honest, I'd much rather two separate DB sections - one for talk of instruments/equipment, and one for talk of technique/playing.

EDIT - I know there's a general technique/theory part of the forum as a whole, but 95% of it is irrelevant to playing upright - I'm not looking for conversations about tabs.

Edited by Hector

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1373020674' post='2132825']
To be honest, I'd much rather two separate DB sections - one for talk of instruments/equipment, and one for talk of technique/playing.

EDIT - I know there's a general technique/theory part of the forum as a whole, but 95% of it is irrelevant to playing upright - I'm not looking for conversations about tabs.
[/quote]

I like that idea..... it would get my vote B)

[quote name='johnny dissident' timestamp='1373021903' post='2132842']
I go with hector on this one, when it comes down to different genres, there is so much we can learn from one another. To me a musician is a musician no matter what type of music.
[/quote]
Agree with this

I[i]'[/i]m with Hector as well - it'd be great to have a section on upright playing and technique. For instance, I only recently found out that I needed to give myself more string length to avoid clacking and buzzing and that rather than leaning over the bass uncomfortably, I could just extend the end pin. Simple, but it's made loads of difference to my sound.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1373041156' post='2133151']
This forum isn't exactly fast-growing though is it? If we had two they would be very slow.
[/quote]

That's it in a nutshell really.

This particular forum is one of the quietest on Basschat (and also the most polite and friendly one as well I should add!) and I think that splitting it further into musical genre is going to dilute the content and contributions to much.

Splitting the topics between equipment and technique could work, but there's always going to be that middle ground that gets missed when technique and equipment are talked about in the same thread.

However, if anyone wants to have an experiment and start a thread for technique I'll be perfectly happy to pin it and see how we get on? :)

Maybe subject tagging as they are created by the Poster, I know its in there and am guilty of never using it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"] :sorry:[/url].
it would probably be better than separating the Double bass mob into respective warring clans. :modspank:

196 views.. but only 12 votes... ah apathy, its a British tradition :lol:

would a separate technique section work ??

"QUESTION: Im having trouble with the triple slap..any ideas?"

"ANSWER(S): Have you tried sitting down and using a bow?"
or
"your bass didn't cost 30 grand so its only firewood anyway"

see what I mean ;) :lol:

I think it wan't so much apathy, as a change in direction. Your poll has been a victim of thread drift. I'd like to see a section on technique for upright players. I'm trying to learn how to sustain tied semibreves. I've seen people use a sort of vibrato to get long notes but don't know how to do this. Any ideas, links to videos, etc are very welcome.

Is it something that just isn't there but comes with practice?

Edited by sarah thomas

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1373132615' post='2134061']
. I'm trying to learn how to sustain tied semibreves.
[/quote]

We are definitely gonna need separate sections if you insist on writing in Swahili ;) :lol:

I never wanted a split. :(

I just thought that if someone asked a question specific to a style of music/playing then it would be easier if it was in a section marked with the style.

Although, as Owencf suggested, maybe if we used the tagging facility it would make things easier....erm... not that I do at the moment :blush: :blush:

I like it the way it is, but if it keeps growing I can see why it would make sense to divide it up. Im less keen on dividing along style lines, but perhaps more for the double bass tech side..amps/set ups etc... but for me I'm happy with the status quo until it gets bigger.

I Agree with Geoff. Not that I post often enough to have any say, but I play every style (bar classical), so I find that separate sections would be a bit hard work to keep up with. I agree with the special section for luthier work, that would be handy. Everything else I think it's better together as it is quite easy to follow as it is.

I'd rather have different sections for the specifics associated with the double bass/ EUB

ie:
General Qs - including noob stickies etc.
Technique - No pain no gain type thread
Amplification (including PUP/ Amps/ Cabs/ Live Sound)
DIY - Solutions to get your DB/EUB optimum for your requirements