Why become a member? ×

Seperate Sections ??

ChrisF

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1373113296' post='2133835']
196 views.. but only 12 votes... ah apathy, its a British tradition :lol:

would a separate technique section work ??

[/quote]

I don't think there's enough of us on here to justify seperate jazz/classical/rockabilly sections like thay have over on Talkbass - but a seperate DB techniques section would be useful.

Got to agree, no split! I like the fact we've all got our own little niches in this forum and can talk about the instrument irrespective of being in genre camps. The double bass is far too noble an instrument in my opinion to not want to celebrate it whenever it's needed. I've really enjoyed the fact that playing both double bass and electric bass has given me jazz gigs, classical gigs, folk gigs, blues gigs, rock gigs, latin gigs, musical theatre gigs...
No one's asked me to do a hip hop gig yet... and I love hip hop... :sun_bespectacled:[size=4] [/size]

Sorry to come late to the discussion but I join the no-splitters. Compared to the BGers on the forum we are a small but select and slowly growing bunch. I find it great to be able to find discussions on topics that I would not normally look for, and make great and rewarding discoveries in the process. I am humbled by the technical/classical knowledge that a lot of our colleagues possess and their enthusiasm for sharing their skills.

Makes us 'amp buyers' seem quite a pedestrian bunch.[i] ('don't do smileys - you'll have to work the nuances out for yourselves!)[/i]

I'm a late voter, but I'd go with the no split vote as well. I go on Talk Bass occasionally, but there's so many sections that I just tend to skim read topic headings and then head direct to 'orchestral techniques' just 'cos that's the style I play. I no doubt miss out on a whole wealth of information by doing that. I feel I learn far more from this forum precisely because there is such a mix of styles and playing techniques discussed on here.

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1373467353' post='2137961']
I'm a late voter, but I'd go with the no split vote as well. I go on Talk Bass occasionally, but there's so many sections that I just tend to skim read topic headings and then head direct to 'orchestral techniques' just 'cos that's the style I play. I no doubt miss out on a whole wealth of information by doing that. I feel I learn far more from this forum precisely because there is such a mix of styles and playing techniques discussed on here.
[/quote]

Very well put. And I agree totally. B) B)
So can you all stop picking on me now. :P :P :lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1 373892913' post='2142702']
I stopped picking on you as soon as I spotted 'Weight training' and 'Martial arts' amongst your interests... :D
[/quote]

lol....well... it sounds better than flower arranging and knitting ;) :D

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1373323117' post='2136298']
The double bass is far too noble an instrument in my opinion to not want to celebrate it whenever it's needed.[/quote]

Well said. :)

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1373323117' post='2136298']No one's asked me to do a hip hop gig yet... and I love hip hop... :sun_bespectacled:[/quote]

Yeah I'm still waiting for the Cypress Hill tribute band to start up. :(

[quote name='timbass' timestamp='1374170523' post='2146123']
Two kinds of music, Good and Bad. Musical apartheid not a good idea. Mix it up baby.
[/quote]

lol ...... now your opening up a whole new can of worms. especially as you interests includes "tuning up for half an hour and pretending its a tune"...oops I mean jazz ;) :ph34r:

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1374174470' post='2146172']
lol ...... now your opening up a whole new can of worms. especially as you interests includes "tuning up for half an hour and pretending its a tune"...oops I mean jazz ;) :ph34r:
[/quote]
Yes! agreed! - different kinds of jazz too - some good, some bad, some tuneful and some boringly introspective. I tend to like stuff that people want to dance to.