Why become a member? ×

The XX at Glasto

cytania

I didn't mind them, didn't really like them or hate them, which may be worse than the other extremes.
Wanted to hear what their other stuff was like - they have a track on rocksmith which was playable but a bit dull, so wondered if it was a fluke.

Haha, I'm quite the opposite to a lot of people here. I'm a big, big fan of The XX. I love their music and only wish I could write like them. Jamie XX, the guy on keys/samples/drums/etc etc is one very talented man and when i saw them live the first time, I was really surprised they could pulled off what they do live, due to the amount of production on the albums.

I thought their performance at Glasto was exactly expected of them and I didn't feel they disappointed. I totally 'get' their music and I really enjoy it. They're not The Rolling Stones, and they're not in your face exciting but I feel their music is honest and they're not trying to be anything that they're not.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372761046' post='2129507']
I just listened to them for the first time today after reading this thread, and I have to say, I like them :P
[/quote]
I laso missed the Glasto set and watched a bit last night. I also liked them, a lot in fact, they are vaguely fascinating and I hope they're in it for the long haul. Really good music and lyrics, lovely moody stage set, and I adore the bassist's drug-addled-failed-ballet-dancer moves :D

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372765668' post='2129577']
I laso missed the Glasto set and watched a bit last night. I also liked them, a lot in fact, they are vaguely fascinating and I hope they're in it for the long haul. Really good music and lyrics, lovely moody stage set, and I adore the bassist's drug-addled-failed-ballet-dancer moves :D
[/quote]
I think they are mesmerising. I hope to see them on Friday. Sublime light show and I love the tragic darkness they portray.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1372760855' post='2129504']
Haha, I'm quite the opposite to a lot of people here. I'm a big, big fan of The XX. I love their music and only wish I could write like them. Jamie XX, the guy on keys/samples/drums/etc etc is one very talented man and when i saw them live the first time, I was really surprised they could pulled off what they do live, due to the amount of production on the albums.

I thought their performance at Glasto was exactly expected of them and I didn't feel they disappointed. I totally 'get' their music and I really enjoy it. They're not The Rolling Stones, and they're not in your face exciting but I feel their music is honest and they're not trying to be anything that they're not.
[/quote]

WHAT A FANTASTIC GIFTED BASS PLAYER.............HE'S DEFINITELY IN MY TOP 3.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1372760855' post='2129504']

[/quote]

I agree... found them quite captivating & refreshing... Have got hold of the 1st two albums since :)[size=4] [/size]

Well I just watched the whole set on YouTube having never heard any of their material before and I can't decide if I've just been blown away or not.

At times The XX sound majestic and glorious and the vocals and the melody join together beautifully. Other times just a big bag of "huh?". I didn't like how they seemed to skip past all the parts that could've sounded great. A lot of the times there's loads of tension developing in the song and then there's no pay off; no release. Infuriating!

I really liked the way that they share the vocals and I particularly like the sections where there seems to be some kind of dialogue between the pair of them. As if they're having a conversation with each other or telling the listener a story together. it's fascinating to watch and I think that it has to be one of the main attractions of the band.

I enjoyed watching the show definitely. The lighting and the 'look' striking and certainly unusual for Glasto. Monochromatic, stripped back, dramatic, industrial. Quite meloncholic I thought.

Anyway, I dont know. The XX certainly challenge many of the rules that exist in popular music these days and it's uncomfortable to listen to. But strip back the effects and the production and the songs are there.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1372982624' post='2132574']
Well I just watched the whole set on YouTube having never heard any of their material before and I can't decide if I've just been blown away or not.

At times The XX sound majestic and glorious and the vocals and the melody join together beautifully. Other times just a big bag of "huh?". I didn't like how they seemed to skip past all the parts that could've sounded great. A lot of the times there's loads of tension developing in the song and then there's no pay off; no release. Infuriating!

I really liked the way that they share the vocals and I particularly like the sections where there seems to be some kind of dialogue between the pair of them. As if they're having a conversation with each other or telling the listener a story together. it's fascinating to watch and I think that it has to be one of the main attractions of the band.

I enjoyed watching the show definitely. The lighting and the 'look' striking and certainly unusual for Glasto. Monochromatic, stripped back, dramatic, industrial. Quite meloncholic I thought.

Anyway, I dont know. The XX certainly challenge many of the rules that exist in popular music these days and it's uncomfortable to listen to. But strip back the effects and the production and the songs are there.

Truckstop
[/quote]
Beautifully put. You have the essence of them, right there.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1372972809' post='2132439']

I was joking.

Most people could probably learn to play bass like that guy in one evening.
[/quote]
You could teach prople to use a pencil in one evening. Doesn't mean they'll be writing anything worth reading in one evening does it.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1373019956' post='2132814']
You could teach prople to use a pencil in one evening. Doesn't mean they'll be writing anything worth reading in one evening does it.
[/quote]

You really need to spell before using a pencil.

What's "prople"..............he he. :)