Why become a member? ×

OK - I'm Going To Have A Go At This Recording / Composition Competition - What Do I Need?

bagsieblue

As per title - I'm going to have a go at this recording / composition competitions.

Apart from my imagination - What equipment do I need?

Complete 'noob' at this but I have:

A bass (or more ;))
Amp
Zoom B9.1ut - barely used as found it a little complicated - I'm a simple guy! :blush:
(old) Macbook with Garageband 3 - again barely used as found it a little complicated.
Google Nexus 7 (if that helps?)

What leads / equipment do I need to be able to record?, eg to connect bass to computer.
Also, is Garageband the simplest to use for a novice?

Edited by bagsieblue

Hi Bagsie,

Firstly, good on you mate! The monthly music competition is great fun. And VERY addictive. I'm sure you'll love it.

Secondly, it sounds like the only thing you need is an audio interface - a 'box' that plugs in to the USB socket of your computer, into which you can then plug your bass (and other instruments) using a standard guitar/mic lead. This is a good one to consider:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002R9ILOY

...and there are cheaper options out there too. Although expect to pay around the £100 mark on average.

GarageBand is a great bit of software and ideal for beginners. Tons of YouTube videos out there to get you started on how to use it for recording, arranging, etc.

Happy to give you more advice but I need to get my head down (it's been a long day!). Don't hesitate to ask for more info - plenty of folks here very willing to oblige :)

Paul

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372285487' post='2123961']
Hi Bagsie,

Firstly, good on you mate! The monthly music competition is great fun. And VERY addictive. I'm sure you'll love it.

Secondly, it sounds like the only thing you need is an audio interface - a 'box' that plugs in to the USB socket of your computer, into which you can then plug your bass (and other instruments) using a standard guitar/mic lead. This is a good one to consider:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002R9ILOY"]http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B002R9ILOY[/url]

...and there are cheaper options out there too. Although expect to pay around the £100 mark on average.

GarageBand is a great bit of software and ideal for beginners. Tons of YouTube videos out there to get you started on how to use it for recording, arranging, etc.

Happy to give you more advice but I need to get my head down (it's been a long day!). Don't hesitate to ask for more info - plenty of folks here very willing to oblige :)

Paul
[/quote]

Thanks for this - can I not use the Zoom B9 as the 'box' - what leads would I need then?

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1372285636' post='2123962']Thanks for this - can I not use the Zoom B9 as the 'box' - what leads would I need then?[/quote]

I've just quickly searched on Google and the Zoom B9 has a USB port on the back of it, which enables it to function just like an audio interface. Here's the blurb:

[i]"The USB port on the B9.1ut provides audio interface capability for recording to digital audio software. To utilize the sounds of the B9.1ut in a computer-based recording environment, simply connect the unit via USB to your computer"[/i] (http://www.zoom.co.jp/english//products/b91ut/).

So yes, you can connect it to your Macbook using a standard USB cable, which probably came bundled in the box when you bought it. If not, you can pick up a USB cable online or from somewhere like Maplin. If you don't have one already, you need to check the socket on the back of the Zoom (it's labeled 'USB') to make sure you get the right type of cable, but from what I can make out looking at pictures online it seems to be this sort:

http://tinyurl.com/nv5tuxq

Hope that helps.

Currently (due to competing for hard disc space with OH on the main PC ;) ) I am using garage band in my iPad, and have a little connector that I can plug my bass/guitars into. Then I have headphones and sing into the iPad in a quiet room (although I'm sure if people listen hard enough they would probably hear my kitten on the recording I did :lol: )

So, it wasn't much to get started, although I am hankering after a laptop for recording purposes, but having bought a new bass last month, I'm too skint at the moment!!

Zoom b9 is an audio interface and works OK , but is a bit tricky with levels and playback and the like , defo have a go with using it as you can plug any analogue instrument into it and record it , though it is a bit light on mic level IIRC....no preamp stage
the background noise is a bit high , and it will throw a few things at you ,I think latency was inconsistent and had me doubting my playing skills at one point , but , I recorded my first few goes using one .

I did move on to a simple focusright scarlett 2+2 and have been really inspired with it , so simple , and has felt a lot easier , but there is NO reason not to try your hand with the Zoom , go for it , and remember it is a [b]composition[/b] competition, it matters not what your entry consists of , just present it , poem, song , instrumental , instrumental poem , it all counts , and to be honest , the most important thing to me was the deadline. It removed the 'one day I will do this' thinking and got me into a 'I will do this now' approach .
good luck and welcome

30 years ago I[i][b] KNEW [/b][/i]i could write stuff , now, I am just starting to learn how to do it :blush: and I love it .

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1372409761' post='2125324']Slight concern is that I don't want to be spending time faffing with kit when I could be using the time to practice.[/quote]

Recording always involves faffing with kit. It's unavoidable. But it soon becomes second nature, at which point you can just focus on making music.

Besides, writing new material is a great way to practice, in my opinion. You'll learn a bunch of new tricks along the way.

Nothing to lose, lots to gain... ;)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1372459886' post='2126146']
When you end up taking 50 takes to get a bassline down you'll start realising that this IS practising :)
[/quote]

+1 ^^^^ this is me :rolleyes: My laptop is very forgiving - but not sure a REAL studio would be? :D then again.. I'm the engineer and I get pi$$ed off!!!!! :angry:

:hi:

Thanks for the input everyone and please continue with it.
I've had a look around in garage band - not found it as easy as expected really, will have to spend a bit more time on it.
Is there any way to cue up chord progressions in it - I can see the piano for single notes.

I've also got iRealB on android tablet as well if anyone has any experience with that.

iRealB was recommended to me by my bass tutor but it's much of a practicing/learning tool than anything. Grab some song off their forums and it'll play a backing track to it and show you the chord progression. Pretty cool :) And you can transpose it to other keys very easily and change the tempo. Great for jamming to.

I chucked this together last year some time as a mini guide to getting set up recording quite cheaply: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176553-mini-guide-to-starter-gear-for-recording-cheaply/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176553-mini-guide-to-starter-gear-for-recording-cheaply/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Having found myself now back in a proper band this may need to go on the backburner for me.

Will endevour to make time to have a go though but priorities and time constraints have shifted a little.

Thanks for the input though guys.

Garageband is very easy once you get to know the basics. Try some youtube vids on recording with garageband.
I'd try using the "line in" on your macbook. The one on the iMac is better than the Alesis interface that I had, so everything just gets plugged straight into that (I've got a lead that goes from 2 mono 6.4mm jacks to 1 stereo 3.5mm jack, so I just choose the channel that's plugged into the pedals/bass/guitar).