Why become a member? ×

NBD: EBMM SUB, "wine vomit" purple. May re-spray?

mcnach

I emailed EBMM customer services when the debate about US MM Sub pick up wiring surfaced on Basschat and I still have the reply - they're recorded as all parallel - so that is the official view.

However the latest twists in the SR5 pick up and EQ story on the EBMM forum have shown there are several variants through the 90s so who knows - maybe the Sub has a similar story - bear in mind there were Sterling Subs - quite rare - and the stock Sterling pick up, like that period SR5 has a series pick up - maybe there were too many Sterling Sub pick ups left over so they put them in the Sub Ray for a while.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1372024848' post='2120855']
This seems a sensible thread to ask this... I've been desperately trying to sound like Bernard Edwards recently---whats the best "stingray on a budget"?
[/quote]

do you really need to ask? SUB!!! :lol:
(but you may still sound like you more than Bernard Edwards... ah, I wish it were that easy! :P)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1372024848' post='2120855']
This seems a sensible thread to ask this... I've been desperately trying to sound like Bernard Edwards recently---whats the best "stingray on a budget"?
[/quote]

I've found air guitar is the only way of sounding like Edwards!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1372032243' post='2120934']
do you really need to ask? SUB!!! :lol:
(but you may still sound like you more than Bernard Edwards... ah, I wish it were that easy! :P)
[/quote]
[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1372053653' post='2120961']
I've found air guitar is the only way of sounding like Edwards!
[/quote]

Sssshhhh. Buying a new bass will make me sound like Bernard, not 1000s of hours of practice! Don't ruin this!! :D

The debate on series or parallels as stock. When you are buying used who is to say the wiring wasnt changed during its life?

I know I changed mine when I had one and sold it on in parallel.

Had a go on a compete respray one, including neck refinish, and contours had been sanded too, a lot lighter and played awesome.

Hey pal! It's Don (dkelley) from talkbass.... good to see you following up with this color change thing.

I believe I embraced the "wine vomit purple" title when I got my fretless 5 in that color. LOVE the color, personally.

Will be very interesting to see the outcome though if you do paint it. I've only ever painted one instrument in my life and it was a tragic failure when I was a teenager... partly due to a poor choice of paint color and texture. So I don't think I have the guts to do it to an instrument I truly like and that has some actual monetary value (albeit not a ton of $$$).

I really need to open mine up and check the wiring - being fretless I think series switching capability would be really cool - maybe in a push pull. I also wish I could throw a piezo strip under the saddles but of course it doesn't work that way (need one for each and they need to be carefully placed and installed and probably would sound bad and/or break easily if I did it myself).

Just saying though - I still love my bass. mine still has the original pickguard out of difficulty in finding a replacement that fits 5 string usa subs.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1372061415' post='2121020']
Sssshhhh. Buying a new bass will make me sound like Bernard, not 1000s of hours of practice! Don't ruin this!! :D
[/quote]

Buying a new bass could make those the first 1000 hours of practice a bit more interesting... perhaps. ;)

(does that help? :P)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1372068444' post='2121122']
The debate on series or parallels as stock. When you are buying used who is to say the wiring wasnt changed during its life?

I know I changed mine when I had one and sold it on in parallel.

Had a go on a compete respray one, including neck refinish, and contours had been sanded too, a lot lighter and played awesome.
[/quote]

It's hard to rewire the pickup and make it look exactly like stock, with the way the cables are wrapped, and the soldering blobs would almost always give them away as a resoldering job.
Besides, a good number of reports come from people who bought the bass new.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372076952' post='2121216']
I'm not keen on the vomit to be honest and mcnach knows he will paint it anyway! :D
[/quote]

all it would take is an idle evening and a bottle of Caesar Augustus in the fridge ;)

[quote name='donkelley' timestamp='1372089004' post='2121416']
Hey pal! It's Don (dkelley) from talkbass.... good to see you following up with this color change thing.

I believe I embraced the "wine vomit purple" title when I got my fretless 5 in that color. LOVE the color, personally.

Will be very interesting to see the outcome though if you do paint it. I've only ever painted one instrument in my life and it was a tragic failure when I was a teenager... partly due to a poor choice of paint color and texture. So I don't think I have the guts to do it to an instrument I truly like and that has some actual monetary value (albeit not a ton of $$$).

I really need to open mine up and check the wiring - being fretless I think series switching capability would be really cool - maybe in a push pull. I also wish I could throw a piezo strip under the saddles but of course it doesn't work that way (need one for each and they need to be carefully placed and installed and probably would sound bad and/or break easily if I did it myself).

Just saying though - I still love my bass. mine still has the original pickguard out of difficulty in finding a replacement that fits 5 string usa subs.
[/quote]

Hey how are you doing?

I had a black SUB5, and I ended up ordering a pickguard from Pickguard Heaven. It took 3-4 weeks, but it was perfect. As they are based on your side of the Atlantic maybe it would be a bit faster (and cheaper) for you, if you wanted to change it.

I can imagine the fretless with the pickup in series could be mighty! I really think the 2EQ works best on a series-wired pickup.

The colour... it is growing on me, I have to admit. The thing is I only really bought it because I wanted a red one (call me vain :P), as I already had a great SUB (white, wired in series)... so... agh, I don't know! What a problem to have, eh? ;)

REgarding painting and possible disasters... I am not very experienced either, but in my little experience I think that the right paint and the right nozzle when spraying can make a huge difference. The ones I used for respraying my fretless Jazz came from "Manchester Guitar Tech", nitro paint. Those cans produce an extremely fine mist, and after a couple of tries on a bit of wood, I decided what seemed to be the right distance at which I could spray... then I applied the paint in very very thin coats. The paint dried very quickly, and I only waited 20min between coats. I could have probably done it faster, but that's how I did it. That bass was shoreline gold, and I simply cleaned up the body well and started spraying: first a white nitro primer, then the orange paint. It worked out pretty well, except a couple of tiny runs from when I became a little too overconfident at how well it was all turning out :lol:
The final result was a little rough, but less so than the finish on a SUB. I liked it, and I did not bother polishing it. That's what made me think "hey, let's paint a SUB red!"

I am not sure how well the paint will adhere to the finish on the SUB, but from my tests, I think it will bite well enough. I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make the fact that the SUB's surface is so rough to start with... but I am confident the result will be good. At least with these cans I mentioned. I think the trick is spraying very thin coats, and not too close to the bass. The nozzle on these cans allows you to produce a very fine mist that's just perfect. If I could do it, with no experience, anybody could! :)

I'm keeping it as it is for now, 'though. I have too much stuff going on at the moment, and just moved a couple of weeks ago... no space for spraying yet. But I think it'll end up orange or red before the end of the year ;)

I ordered a clear pickguard, as I really like it being a single colour, but miss a bit the extra 3mm the pickguard gives you when slapping. It arrived today... but unfortunately it's strongly tinted blue. At least I think it's the plate itself, but it could be the protective sheets making it look that way. I just wrote to the seller to make sure I got sent the right one, before I start ripping the protective sheets off.

edit: aha, it was just the blue protective film. Colourless pickguard. Looks good and feels good :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1372092929' post='2121500']
all it would take is an idle evening and a bottle of Caesar Augustus in the fridge ;)
[/quote]

I'd definitely volunteer to help, Caesar Augustus is my current favourite tipple ;)

£1.39 a bottle in Aldi by the way (along with lots of other Williams Bros beers). :D

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1372100410' post='2121630']
I'd definitely volunteer to help, Caesar Augustus is my current favourite tipple ;)

£1.39 a bottle in Aldi by the way (along with lots of other Williams Bros beers). :D
[/quote]

oooh, good taste and good tip! :)
Where is an Aldi now? I will find out!

Williams make some very yummy beverages, but Cesar Augustus is my current favourite too. The right amount of hoppiness, and refreshing. Before that it was Brewdog's 5AM Saint...

We must catch up, after you return and before I go away there's about a week... Holyrood 9A have tons of very tasty beers on tap. Plan? Probably best to move to PM before others get jealous :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1372103091' post='2121697']
oooh, good taste and good tip! :)
Where is an Aldi now? I will find out!
[/quote]

Being a foreign national, you are EXPECTED to know! Doesn't matter that you aren't German, Polish or Austrian, you're a bloody foreigner, and it's your job to know where to get the bloody foreigner food :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372103753' post='2121724']
Being a foreign national, you are EXPECTED to know! Doesn't matter that you aren't German, Polish or Austrian, you're a bloody foreigner, and it's your job to know where to get the bloody foreigner food :D
[/quote]

I know where Waitrose is, they have quite a lot of delicious foreign food... and no potato bread :P