Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fretless Precision players

miles'tone

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1371795601' post='2118135']
Guy Pratt why he played live with Pink Floyd used a fretless P for songs like Hey You and High Hopes..... I don't know about the original recordings but they sound great on my Defrettted Ibanez with a little bit of reverb :P
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure GP used a Status and latterly a Lakland J...

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1371795194' post='2118130']
Hey you're right about Deaky playing one but the only evidence I can make out on line is he used one on a track called "'39" live.

Anyone know if he actually recorded with a fretless?
[/quote]

Thanks for the pic. I had, and probably still have somewhere, a Queen bass book. IIRC it said that both Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Somebody to Love were played on a fretless, and I remember reading something before about him having a fretless P (You're picture confirming that for me). Listening to these two songs, it definitely sounds like a fretless to me. At least I always used it as an excuse to use a fretless with a pub band I used to play in ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1q-SzURjo

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1371656135' post='2116689']
Frampton Comes Alive is fretless P if the sleeve art is anything to go by.
[/quote]

Y'now, I bought this album and it didn't really grab me at all at first. Nothing wrong with it, it's just my tastes are usually a little more 'out there' for want of a better expression.
Then I found this video (the link at the top of this post) on bassist Stanley Sheldon's website and now it all makes sense.
Frampton Comes Alive was actually a live album filmed in the daytime. No fancy stage show or lighting rig. No big screens or pyros, nothing. Just a few guys on stage playing their instruments to a few thousand people going absolutely apesh*t for them (hard to imagine this happening today).
Add to this that the whole concert was released as an album with NO OVERDUBS whatsoever, and this album was the highest selling no.1 album that year and still remains the best selling live album ever!
Sheldon had only joined the band eight weeks previously and nailed every song on the album playing a fretless! (Whilst providing some backing vox too!)
So yeah, Stanley Sheldon? What a Badass!! :)
(Loving his black/white/maple fretless P in the vid too - super cool!)

Cheers again everyone for all the fantastic suggestions here, loving them all. Great to have some new music to get into - nice one!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm still on my quest and I've come across this corker called "Legs" by a band called Massacre - Bill Laswell on bass.
It's rather nutty. I love it.
I do think the comedic capabilities of a fretless bass often gets a bit lost with 'serious' musicianship. A bit like the trombone. Parp!
I fear this is more the path I'll be walking when I eventually get one sorted. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxtSbfpjHE

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.