Why become a member? ×

pbass
£750

dr Szelma

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1379583716' post='2214362']
It is swamp ash, there's no doubt about it.
[/quote]
[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1380999101' post='2233297']
Interested to know how you can be so sure?
[/quote]

It looks just like my Aria Precision ('78 Matsomoku) which is Sen ("Japanese Ash")

Edited by Opticaleye

Bump - the answer is in the very first post in this thread. If anyone has a question - use PM please as responding to them here is breaking the 36hrs bumping rule. And if you're asking doubting question here to confuse others, don't bother, no matter what you will say and what your opinion is - you simply cannot change the facts :)

Replying to questions shouldn't break the 36 hour bump rule.

You're advertising the bass as being made from swamp ash & people have understandably asked for evidence to support this, given Matsumoku was surrounded by Kalopanax trees & the nearest source of true swamp ash was 6000 miles away. The "fact", as you keep referring to it, is actually an opinion of yours and some unnamed luthiers. You have to appreciate that people don't know you or these unnamed luthiers so why should they respect those opinions any more than their own?

If you want to sell anything on trust you have to be open & honest, being evasive & dismissive won't persuade folk to part with their money.

Just saying like.

Well, it is classed as a bump.

Ashborygirl - I don't have to convince you cause you know already better - just looking at the picture and you know straight away how the body resonates and sounds :D Please, do not bother yourself to mess in my thread anymore, go and preach your undisputable wisdom somewhere else ;)

bump for great sounding bass!

And you've had that confirmed by a moderator have you? Or is another opinion that you consider a fact?

It was a simple question that you still won't answer & instead resort to tawdry sarcasm. Stay classy & good luck with the sale.

Edited by Ashborygirl

Answering legitimate questions is perfectly acceptable and is not a breach of the 36 hour bump rule unless we believe it is being done in such a manner as to bypass it purposefully

However, you can only bump a thread 36 hours after it's last post. This post may be somebody elses rather than yours :)

I've been told off by one of the moderators for answering Qs (point no 7 I think was pointed to me) so something is not right here - why mods have different views on that issue? I can only answer the question when I'm here and I don't live on the internet to answer them straight away when they're asked ;)

Edited by dr Szelma

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1381004865' post='2233381']
It looks just like my Aria Precision ('78 Matsomoku) which is Sen ("Japanese Ash")
[/quote]
Excuse me, saying so, but I think you may have some confusion over the geography and the woods. I'd be happy to be corrected on this as I'm no expert, but here's the info as I understand it.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Matsumoku factory were in Japan and in the business of making some quality cheap Fender copies, plus many other styles too.[/font][/color]

If this bass is a Fender copy from the Matsomoku factory, it may be made from ash wood, but they were in the game of making them on the cheap. The wood used will be locally harvested in Japan so not swamp ash.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Swamp Ash" normally comes from the ash trees in the North American swamps. [/font][/color][color=#373737]Trees, like all plants, grow faster when there is plenty of sunlight, warmth and water, so the regions above and below the equator have the right conditions for speedy growth. Trees that grow in drier and less sunny climates grow more slowly and have higher densities (less water equals tighter grain; more water equals more open grain, a bit like the difference between a dry sponge and a wet one). Swamp Ash is wood taken from the lower portions of the trees which grow in swamps and so has its roots permanently submerged. When it dries out the wood has more air in it than Northern Ash, which grows more slowly and has a higher density. This is why Swamp Ash is lighter than Northern Ash. It’s also why Mahogany from Central and South America is prized for its tone.[/color]

[font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][color=#373737][size=4]Fender, however don't normally use swamp ash, even for the USA production because it's too expensive for them. Fender's concept has always been to make cheap, affordable basses and swamp ash doesn't fit this as it's expensive to harvest. Fender usually used the more dense normal ash wood giving a far heavier body. This is why a Fender will weigh 9lb plus.[/size][/color][/font]

[color=#373737][size=4]My own Warwick Streamer, which is swamp ash, weighs 7lb[/size][/color]

[color=#373737]This bass selling here will be made from Japanese wood, which is very possibly Ash, but almost certainly not Swamp Ash.[/color]

[color=#373737]More about the company can be read here: [/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsumoku"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsumoku[/url]

As you'll see, the factory has a great legacy. So this is possibly and interesting bass and may be a good buy for someone who wants a piece of history.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1381407428' post='2238581']
I am no wood expert but all I know is whatever it is made of it is a nice looking bass :)
[/quote] +1

If I were Dr S I'd have moved it on to Ebay ages ago and had it sold. But that's just me.
I've sold a good number there with a 99p start. They soo nfind their true value.... but that's just me. Impatient I am.

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1381392989' post='2238301']
Well, it is classed as a bump.

Ashborygirl - I don't have to convince you cause you know already better - just looking at the picture and you know straight away how the body resonates and sounds :D Please, do not bother yourself to mess in my thread anymore, go and preach your undisputable wisdom somewhere else ;)

bump for great sounding bass!
[/quote]

The bass is a nice enough bitsa, but no amount of magic beans or snake oil is going to make it more than that & if you're looking to blame someone for messing in your thread, I'd start a bit closer to home.

[quote name='Macko1968' timestamp='1381419825' post='2238871']
The bass is a nice enough bitsa, but no amount of magic beans or snake oil is going to make it more than that & if you're looking to blame someone for messing in your thread, I'd start a bit closer to home.
[/quote]
+1 It's a Japanese,cheap Fender copy. Everything else is in the eye of the beholder.

Fender being a make of basses affordable for the masses - i.e. cheap.

PS.. bump

Edited by Grangur