Why become a member? ×

New guy saying Hello

Twincam

Hello everyone.
Been lurking for a couple of months and thought i should sign up. Seems like a good forum with good members.
I'm new to playing Bass (about 3 months). Bought a cheap 15 quid pre wilkinson Vintage from a mate, that had done the rounds between friends, wasn't in the best of condition and was filthy, so i named it after a girlfriend it reminded me of haha.
Bought a cheap Hartke a25 amp locally.
Bought a Yamaha rbx 170 a couple of weeks ago.
Thinking of buying a shortscale, i struggle as don't have large hands and my fretting hand is lacking in dexterity and coordination.
But i can wrestle a tune out.
Ive set both of my basses up myself not frightened to get stuck in, i like a medium to high action as i seem to really attack the strings. Maybe one day i will have better technique and be able to play with a low action without to much fret buzz and clank.

I find it hard to concentrate and learn from books or tabs so been pretty much learning from videos online, have a few friends who play guitar so had a bit jam with them.

I don't have any lofty goals but hoping to be a half decent bass player oneday.

Love all kinds of music.
Just some of my fav tunes of top of my head with great bass (imo) in them are
Day tripper
Is vic there? (Department s)
Who was in my room last night (Butthole surfers)
Roxanne & walking on the moon (the police)
Uncertain smile (The The)
Evil (interpol)
Reptilla (The Strokes)
Damaged Goods (gang of four)
Anything pretty much by RCHP
Anything by les claypool.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1371233753' post='2111619']
had done the rounds between friends, wasn't in the best of condition and was filthy, so i named it after a girlfriend it reminded me of
[/quote]

:lol:
Best sentence in intro ever, I think.

Welcome, Twincam, to a great site.

As to shortscale, nothing's wrong with those, but you might want to wait a little. 34" scale basses can be played by petite women, and I'm sure by you as well.

Kudos for remembering/mentioning the Butthole Surfers!

Enjoy!

best,
bert

:crigon_04:

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1371233753' post='2111619']...had done the rounds between friends, wasn't in the best of condition and was filthy, so i named it after a girlfriend it reminded me of...[/quote]

That's the spirit. You'll do well here. Edited by discreet

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1371233753' post='2111619']
[size=4] Bought a cheap 15 quid pre wilkinson Vintage from a mate, that had done the rounds between friends, wasn't in the best of condition and was filthy, so i named it after a girlfriend it reminded me of haha.[/size]
B
[/quote]

That has got to be the best line I've read on a intro thread. Welcome aboard. You now have set yourself a high standard to keep up with. Glad your enjoying the bass, you won't regret it.

Hiya,

Girl opinion here ;)

Your hands should get used to playing..... However.... Jazz basses tend to have narrower necks..... Me, I am a HUGE fan of Ibanez basses as their necks are super slim which means I can dart around a fretboard like a whippet :P

The Ibanez SR300 range are amazing basses for the money, they retail at just over £250 for the 4 string.... I have 3 of them, a 4 string, a defretted 4 string and a 5 string :D

Welcome and have fun!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1371284819' post='2112030']
...their necks are super slim which means I can dart around a fretboard like a whippet...[/quote]

'Whip around the fretboard like a dart' would also have been acceptable.
And apologies for joining in with the misogyny, btw. [size=4]Yes, I am a spineless creep. [/size] :P

Hey thanks for the welcomes!.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1371284819' post='2112030']
Hiya,

Girl opinion here ;)

Your hands should get used to playing..... However.... Jazz basses tend to have narrower necks..... Me, I am a HUGE fan of Ibanez basses as their necks are super slim which means I can dart around a fretboard like a whippet :P

The Ibanez SR300 range are amazing basses for the money, they retail at just over £250 for the 4 string.... I have 3 of them, a 4 string, a defretted 4 string and a 5 string :D

Welcome and have fun!
[/quote]

Its not the width of the neck as have tried a few different basses now its purely the distance between frets. My hand span is terrible, although i have noticed a slight improvement in how far i can stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Twincam. I am newly back to playing bass and even though I have huge hands the stretching between frets has been a problem but persevere ce a d a good teacher have helped that improve dramatically.

It does feel very awkward to start with as you are putting your left hand into positions you wouldn't ever need to if you weren't playing something like a bass or a guitar. It will come with time. Also don't be afraid to move your whole hand up and down the fretboard.

[quote name='great harry' timestamp='1372027500' post='2120895']
Hi Twincam. I am newly back to playing bass and even though I have huge hands the stretching between frets has been a problem but persevere ce a d a good teacher have helped that improve dramatically.

It does feel very awkward to start with as you are putting your left hand into positions you wouldn't ever need to if you weren't playing something like a bass or a guitar. It will come with time. Also don't be afraid to move your whole hand up and down the fretboard.
[/quote]

stretching??? :o STRETCHING!!!! :o

best you start MOVING your left hand or else the repetitive strain injury police will be along to give you a stern telling off :ph34r: :P

oh ... :crigon_04: :crigon_04: :crigon_04: