Why become a member? ×

Fender 70's Jazz - New For 2008

Hellrazor

[quote name='johnnylager' post='213035' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:46 AM']But the inlays :) , the correct bridge p/u positioning :huh: , they'll flog plenty. And plenty more if they put the S-1 in. Will it have a 3-bolt plate though? :huh:[/quote]
I think the correct pickup positioning is enough excitement in itself. :huh:

A pity there's no maple board, no S1 switching & that they still have the thin tin bridge (but I suppose the 70's ones had the same kind!)

Nice looking things, but I'm thinking that Fender are going to have to invent a modern bass sooner or later, as opposed to relying on the same four model lines forever.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='213573' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:34 PM']A pity there's no maple board, no S1 switching & that they still have the thin tin bridge (but I suppose the 70's ones had the same kind!)

Nice looking things, but I'm thinking that Fender are going to have to invent a modern bass sooner or later, as opposed to relying on the same four model lines forever.[/quote]

I dunno, things are looking much better these days, best way for Fender to go I reckon, stick to what they know, a simple straight forward bass. Whether it's a J or P, can't go wrong, reliable, generally a good price for what they are. I'd rather have a Fender taking a bashing that a one off custom being gigged to hell and back...what I'm trying to say is you can wear a Fender out and just get another, it would be pretty gutting to abuse a custom one off, being able to replace it would be a nightmare I imagine. IMO of course :)

[quote name='Doc B' post='213499' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:53 PM']I'll be really interested when they do them with in natural a maple board.[/quote]

Or in natural with a rosewood board (and tort plate).

They do look cool. Well done for realising this is what people want, Fender.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='213573' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:34 PM']....but I'm thinking that Fender are going to have to invent a modern bass sooner or later, as opposed to relying on the same four model lines forever....[/quote]
Indeed. How many reissues can you have before you get to reissuing the reissues!

[quote name='chris_b' post='213669' date='Jun 6 2008, 09:52 AM']Indeed. How many reissues can you have before you get to reissuing the reissues![/quote]

Supply and demand. If they won't sell they won't put them out...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='213573' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:34 PM']Nice looking things, but I'm thinking that Fender are going to have to invent a modern bass sooner or later, as opposed to relying on the same four model lines forever.[/quote]

I'm not so sure.

There's an element of 'if it aint broke don't fix it' here. Fender must have seen that anything radical they've done over the years has met with limited success but their classic designs keep on selling and selling. They know they have the name and they know we love their classics.

I don't think it's a case of them resting on their laurels , rather it's prudent business thinking.

Im transforming my Squire VMJ into my 'rock' jazzer and i'll get this as my 'funk' jazzer... these look kick ass!

Though watch me get one, and the Squire turns into the back up jazzer and i then have to get another MIM for my more rock sound... (different strings/pickups etc)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='213713' date='Jun 6 2008, 10:41 AM']I'm not so sure.

There's an element of 'if it aint broke don't fix it' here. Fender must have seen that anything radical they've done over the years has met with limited success but their classic designs keep on selling and selling. They know they have the name and they know we love their classics.

I don't think it's a case of them resting on their laurels , rather it's prudent business thinking.[/quote]

Agreed.

I've been playing on and off for 25 years and in that time I've either owned or played pretty much everything from Jaydee to Status, through Gibson and Ric and more recently Sandberg and Alembic, and I always come back to the Fender Jazz. Every time.

I mean look at them! They're big and solidly built, have the most graceful curves (still being copied to this day,) if the urge takes you, you can customise them to suit your preferences, they suit EVERY kind of music - looks and tone, they play beautifully, balance well and do exactly what it says on the tin - no messing, no faffing - affordable, well made, well designed, non pretentious basses.

I love Fender!!

[quote name='Hellrazor' post='214340' date='Jun 7 2008, 01:51 PM']Agreed.

I've been playing on and off for 25 years and in that time I've either owned or played pretty much everything from Jaydee to Status, through Gibson and Ric and more recently Sandberg and Alembic, and I always come back to the Fender Jazz. Every time.

I mean look at them! They're big and solidly built, have the most graceful curves (still being copied to this day,) if the urge takes you, you can customise them to suit your preferences, they suit EVERY kind of music - looks and tone, they play beautifully, balance well and do exactly what it says on the tin - no messing, no faffing - affordable, well made, well designed, non pretentious basses.

I love Fender!![/quote]

YEAHHHHHHH, :) i LOVE THE CURVES TOO!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, found these for sale here - [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_0132000306.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_0..._medium=Froogle[/url]
for 449 quid.

What you all think of that price?

I reckon it represents pretty good value bearing in mind what I've read about these basses from over the pond - haven't seen much in the way of negatives. Build seems to be very good indeed.

[quote name='Hellrazor' post='225788' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:15 PM']Well, found these for sale here - [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_0132000306.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_0..._medium=Froogle[/url]
for 449 quid.

I reckon it represents pretty good value bearing in mind what I've read about these basses from over the pond - haven't seen much in the way of negatives. Build seems to be very good indeed.[/quote]

£449!

Aagghhh! MUST RESIST!

[quote name='Hellrazor' post='225788' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:15 PM']Well, found these for sale here - [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_0132000306.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_0..._medium=Froogle[/url]
for 449 quid.

I reckon it represents pretty good value bearing in mind what I've read about these basses from over the pond - haven't seen much in the way of negatives. Build seems to be very good indeed.[/quote]

thats £100.00 less then the 60's jazz bass
anyone know why?

Edited by artisan

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Hellrazor' post='214340' date='Jun 7 2008, 01:51 PM']they suit EVERY kind of music - looks and tone, they play beautifully, balance well and do exactly what it says on the tin - no messing, no faffing - affordable, well made, well designed, non pretentious basses.[/quote]

I think they have a big ol scooped-mid sound and I can't hear them properly on stage compared to my Stingray/Cutlass. :) They're also highly variable in quality, there's never telling what one is like until you pick it up. At every price point in the Fender Jazz range you can find some dogs and some gems. That might even be part of the appeal I guess? :huh:

Give me a stingray or a P-bass any day though. They may not be as versatile but they do, they do better than a jazz.

*HIDES*

:huh:

[quote name='Machines' post='247898' date='Jul 25 2008, 03:51 PM']Going to PMT in Brum tomorrow, will see if there's one around.[/quote]

Just rang PMT Apparently expecting some in within the week , sales guy really raved about them ,great neck and real eye candy they sold out of there first batch pretty much straight away .
If I cant pick up a used marcus miller , I think I'll have to plump for one of these probably the Sunburst me thinks !

[quote name='plumbob' post='247980' date='Jul 25 2008, 05:12 PM']Just rang PMT Apparently expecting some in within the week , sales guy really raved about them ,great neck and real eye candy they sold out of there first batch pretty much straight away .
If I cant pick up a used marcus miller , I think I'll have to plump for one of these probably the Sunburst me thinks ![/quote]

Was it Dave Sheriff ?

[quote name='Machines' post='248029' date='Jul 25 2008, 07:04 PM']Was it Dave Sheriff ?[/quote]

Don't know who I spoke to to be honest , either way he was pretty made up about these , and couldn't talk highly enough of them, and I think he sounded pretty genuine.

Are you gonna buy one first or me ?