Why become a member? ×

J pickup recommendation for PJ Precision

kift

I've got an early 70s Precision, modified a lot over the years. 20 years ago it was routed and fitted with an active EMG jazz pickup in the bridge position. All worked fine, and I used the P pickup for an authentic sound, and dialled in the EMG for added modern honk when needed.

It then was not touched for years, and picking up recently the electrics needed fixing. The local shop tech cleaned it up, but says the active and passive pickups will never work properly together, and should be either all passive or all active. I'm still slightly confused how in that case it used to work ok (the EMG fit was done by the Bass Centre), but this does seem to be sensible advice. Any thoughts?

I love the sound of the original pickup, and the instrument itself has a great smooth mellow tone. I've currently got 20 year old round wounds on it (which actually sound great), but will probably experiment with La Bella-style flats. I'm playing mostly jazz, and looking for a classic smooth, thuddy walking sound, with just enough attack in the highs to solo, and just a touch of mid punch to cut through when playing fusion.

So the main question is, what pickup to add? Definitely want to keep the original P, but need a recommendation for the bridge J.

So far, it seems that a Seymour Duncan STK-J2B Hot Jazz Stack, SD Antiquity IIs, or Fender 62 might give me the sound I'm after. Any recommendations? Price not too much of an issue, as I want to do the instrument justice

I'd be inclined to have a chat with the chaps (OK, Andy) at Wizard: I've had a few of their pickups, and while my tone goals were very different from yours, the pickups are very good, and the ones I chose did the job for me.

Edit: Although my experience is with Wizard, I'm sure there are other small pickup companies out there (and I'm sure people will chime in with their experiences) who will make you something to your specific requirements. I'd look at that option over something off the shelf.

Edited by Muzz

Another suggestion for the Di Marzio J type - its a humbucker, so the output will be more of a match for the P. You've got the option of wiring its two internal coils in series or parallel (series is a bit darker but more output). Also look at the Sadowsky J which is made as a humbucker (probably by DiMArzio?).

Some people say the J type is the least J sounding pickup, but I've always thought its a great sound..with the bonus of no single coil hum. It hasn't got all the top of a real single coil, but it honks away nicely!

I would add a J pickup that is also noise cancelling, in order to work best with the P pickup, keep noise down, and stay close to the configuration you are used to. I myself use a DiMarzio UltraJazz, but, assuming you have a rather "vintage" output P, there are several noise reducing J pickups that will match the P well: Fender Noiseless Jazz, DiMarzio J, Area J & UltraJazz, Seymour Duncan vintage stack, Aguilar end-to-end, Bartolini, Nordstrand and Fralin Split Jazz.

Thanks for all this, loads of great advice.

I've just talked to the Wizard, who was very helpful and patient, even with my long winded explanation of what I wanted. He ended up recommending taking out the original P at least for now, and putting in a matched passive PJ set. Or would want to make an exact match for the existing P, which would mean sending it there to be checked out.

So at a very reasonable £90 for the Wizard PJ set, and the many rave reviews they seem to get, seems like at least worth a go to me.

Though any more recommendations still very welcome - I'm learning a lot here!

I tried quite a few Jazz pickups in my PJ but was unable to find one that was compatible with the Duncan SPB-1 at the front. Because of their position close to the bridge, they all sounded too thin and weedy, even the Duncan Quarter Pounder. I ended up routing out the hole and putting a humbucker in there. I tried the Duncan alnico MM pickup (which is supposed to sound exactly like a Musicman pu), but that sounded too middy. What worked best was a Delano MM, which sounds like a fat Jazz.
Funnily enough, I just bought myself a Delano P-Bass pickup on here and with a bit of luck will end up with a Sandberg California-a-like. At least that's the plan.....

• 4 months later...

[size=4]Just searched for the wizard pickups site, and got this, bugger, but good luck to him!![/size]

[b] You've missed us sorry![/b]

After the best part of 20 years, Wizard Pickups Ltd is closing; The Pickup Wizard is hanging up his wand.
Actually he's retiring and moving closer to the coast and his boat, maybe, just maybe, he'll fulfill his dream of taking it round the UK.
If you wanted to be a customer sorry, if you were a customer a big thank you.
Best of luck to you all
[b] Wizard[/b]

I tried one of these, [url="http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=JBX"]http://www.entwistle...up.php?puid=JBX[/url], because they're so cheap, it would be a shame not too, good reviews as well. I am mightily impressed, quality and sound far exceed the price.

Edited by bertbass