Why become a member? ×

'Tune o matic'

Mr Tune O Matic....
Many of you are probably aware of this US based 'character' on eBay - he sells a huge amount of very expensive vintage guitars, basses & parts.
He is also the seller of a notorious refinished CAR Jazz that keeps being re-listed as a protest by it's unfortunate current owner.
Just in case anyone here is tempted to buy anything off him - you should first take a look at t[url="http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowAllQuestions&requested=tune_o_matic&iid=360056705660&frm=284&redirect=0&ShowASQAlways=1&SSPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI"]his reply he recently gave to a question on eBay[/url]
There was an even worse reply to an eBay question that some guy posted on talkbass.com a while back (I think there may be a thread about him on there) - it was unbelievably abusive. He also trades as 'find it only here' - again for very expensive vintage parts.
I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions about how deserving he is of any of your hard earned cash.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='212537' date='Jun 4 2008, 03:04 PM']Mr Tune O Matic....
Many of you are probably aware of this US based 'character' on eBay - he sells a huge amount of very expensive vintage guitars, basses & parts.
He is also the seller of a notorious refinished CAR Jazz that keeps being re-listed as a protest by it's unfortunate current owner.
Just in case anyone here is tempted to buy anything off him - you should first take a look at t[url="http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowAllQuestions&requested=tune_o_matic&iid=360056705660&frm=284&redirect=0&ShowASQAlways=1&SSPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI"]his reply he recently gave to a question on eBay[/url]
There was an even worse reply to an eBay question that some guy posted on talkbass.com a while back (I think there may be a thread about him on there) - it was unbelievably abusive. He also trades as 'find it only here' - again for very expensive vintage parts.
I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions about how deserving he is of any of your hard earned cash.[/quote]

ToM's been acting like this for a loooong time now. He's a bit of an arse, eh?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='212615' date='Jun 4 2008, 05:01 PM']his listing prices are just stupid, i think i spied a thumb rest for over £100, i mean wtf how on earth does he sell them[/quote]

Because there are Fender anoraks out there, with more money than all of us put together.

Edited by wateroftyne

And also because, at those prices, his margins are so huge that he doesn't need to sell very many items to make a decent living.

It's the same business model as used by that "crazy" German who advertises crap basses at three or four times their real worth. He's crazy, sure, like a fox.

:)

[quote name='99ster' post='212537' date='Jun 4 2008, 02:04 PM']Mr Tune O Matic....
I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions about how deserving he is of any of your hard earned cash.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, and especially for highlighting the other user name he uses, which I've come very close to buying stuff from.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='212802' date='Jun 4 2008, 10:18 PM']I've always thought the "crazy" German uses the wonky basses as cheap advertising for his parts business. He sometimes has 3 auctions up for the same bass. Mind you, he has a way with words if anyone leaves him a negative.[/quote]

Not any more he doesn't. Sellers can't leave -ve feedback any more. The guy's probably traumatised.

I want to take that butchered Ripper he perpetually advertises (aye, and not for £450) and fix it up. I've asked him a couple of times if he'll lower the price but he's never got back to me.

Edited by neepheid

• 2 weeks later...

Tune_O_Matic's listings seem to have started appearing on e-bay UK along with the crazy German.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360060564829"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=360060564829[/url]

But what a beautiful bass :) It's one of his "time capsule" specials. I'd love to know where he gets them from.

Edited by AndyMartin