Why become a member? ×

FS: Warwick 1990 Thumb original ***SOLD***

urb

[b]This bass is now on sale at The Gallery in Camden - drop in and have a go! They will be handling this sale for me now.

I ran it through a Mark Bass tube stack yesterday and the Schack just makes this bass have a monster tone... it's still in great condition considering its age and will retain its value in years to come.[/b]

It’s still a great bass but it has been used – a lot – however it is an original with features that distinguish the early Warick’s as completely different basses from those made today:

[b]26 frets, a wenge fingerboard with mother of pearl dots,
stunning flame Bubinga body and a 7 piece through neck made from the same two woods. [/b]
[b]
I have modded it a bit, so it has a sweepable 3 band Schack EQ installed – which gives it a load more power – a Hip Shot de-tuner for drop-D/C, and an ebony ramp that was custom fitted. It still has its original MEC pups on it and I’ve never had any problems with them.[/b]

It had a complete re-fret at the Gallery about two years ago so it plays beautifully, and the detail in the fingerboard really pops out, plus the dots are even brighter as a result.

In terms of overall condition for a bass that is now 18 years old it has sustained a few dings but the body wood has been waxed at least once a month since the day I bought it. So if you are looking for a mint bass this isn’t it, but it does have a ton of character and is all the better for it. And it has a very full, warm, growly tone that is helped even further by the Schack EQ [b]- which gives it about TWICE the siganl power of a normal Warwick.[/b]

I can’t really tell you any more – it’s a bit of a classic bass and has served me extremely well – I don’t want to sell it for any other reason than I’ve moved on and would like to see it go to someone who will use it well and enjoy it as much as I have.

I’m not selling it with a case so I’d prefer it if the buyer could collect it – I live near Brixton in south London - though I’d be happy to sort out P&P should it be necessary.

these pics below were taken about three years ago on a very sunny day – this is how extremely the Bubinga can look!

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='212385' date='Jun 4 2008, 11:36 AM']That looks like it has been well cared for and waxed regularly as it has a nice patina.[/quote]

It's been waxed every month since I bought it - 18 years ago - I have the original receipt still as well! I've really looked after this bass despite the few dings it has...

Re the ramp - it helps you play lighter and more consistently with your finger style - or at least I think it does.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='rjb' post='215939' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:51 AM']Mmmm. Tempted.

Is the ramp thing removable, then? It doesn't appear on all the pics.[/quote]

Yes it can be taken off - but I'd get that done before you bought it - that's if you were interested in it :)

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='mcgraham' post='218310' date='Jun 13 2008, 01:57 PM']I've always admired that Thumb Mike, I never realised you'd owned it for that length of time. Some real mojo there.

Mark[/quote]

Hey Mark - yes it's definietely got a real personality all of its own - I've never played a Thumb like it, and I've played a lot of other Thumb NTs over the years. I still love it, but it's time to move on - it's so different to my other two basses (that I use more) so it's time to let her go - I don't want to, but neither do I want it sitting in the corner as some kind of beautiful object that takes up valuable space in my flat. My plan now is to get a real killer 4 string Jazz - it might take me a while - but that's my new bass project! I just hope the Thumb goes to a good home...soon!

Cheers

Mike

Makes sense! With your fretless and your new fretted Sei you must have almost all bas(s)es covered. Do you find yourself enjoying playing five strings more than playing four now?

Oh and do get yourself a good jazz, that is a [i]very[/i] wise call!

Mark

• 3 months later...