Why become a member? ×

Finding your sound...

tonyquipment

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370176879' post='2097222']
Yeah, that's cool, depends on the music dunnit. I find much pleasure in crafting tones, and I often play for hours during and after, I get a kick out of it :)
[/quote]
Rather than what you are saying here and deciding a tone for a particular song - which seems to me to be more like the mixing process - it's more the idea of finding 'your sound' with which I take issue.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1370123768' post='2096812']
...if money was no object I think I could have got my dream tone straight away! The trouble is most of us have to compromise for one reason or another, and then try and tweak as circumstances allow.[/quote]

Well there's something in that. Since I played an SVT and 8X10 back in the day I've been trying to achieve that sound again on a budget - you can get fairly close... but I just know that if I had another classic Ampeg rig I'd be right there on it with the sound I want. The transport situation being another issue, of course... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1370192338' post='2097408']

Well there's something in that. Since I played an SVT and 8X10 back in the day I've been trying to achieve that sound again on a budget - you can get fairly close... but I just know that if I had another classic Ampeg rig I'd be right there on it with the sound I want. The transport situation being another issue, of course... :)
[/quote]

It's like you are reading my mind! That rig would cure my search for "tone", but like you say, it's not the most portable of rigs 😜

IMO unless you play pretty much the same music with mostly the same musicians all the time the idea of having "your sound" is a completely alien concept.

My sound changes all the time depending on the music I'm playing and the musicians I'm playing it with. The sounds I have at the moment are not the same ones I had when I first played bass in a gigging band 30+ years ago. It's not even the same sounds I had in my last band 5 years ago. And with playing different types of music with band different lines and even musicians with differing playing styles in the bands it's hardly surprising. In fact even over the last 3 years playing with the Terrortones my bass sound has changed to complement the 4 different guitarists we've had in the band. Over the last year it has got quite a bit more trebly which worked really well with the last guitarist, but I've begun winding the top end back again as it's not necessary with out new one.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1370248975' post='2097963']
It's like you are reading my mind! That rig would cure my search for "tone", but like you say, it's not the most portable of rigs
[/quote]

Not so sure it would, IME. :lol:

The SVT sound can be quite boxy, but it is the sheer oomph that saves it...which is down to the amp.
The cab, in itself is no great shakes, typically, but it is a reference sound and does stages well, IMO..

Recently played through a variation of this theme... and the amp..(not the SVT).. couldn't really save the cab.
The sound on stage would have been useable, but you wouldn't want that sound to be the only sound you hear out front...IMO

Edited by JTUK

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370176879' post='2097222'] Yeah, that's cool, depends on the music dunnit. I find much pleasure in crafting tones, and I often play for hours during and after, I get a kick out of it :) [/quote]

Its the obsessive gear cyclers that have a problem though, not people like yourself. You have realised that getting a particular tone is only possible in highly controlled conditions unlike those who stand 5 feet away from an amp blasting 100db past their knees in largely adverse acoustic conditions and wondering why they don't get the "that sound" that their hero gets on the CD apparently using the same gear (I say apparently, because in reality I imagine that a lot of recorded bass sounds are DI to the desk with EQ, amp sims and effects applied later).

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1370338380' post='2099193'] Its the obsessive gear cyclers that have a problem though, not people like yourself. You have realised that getting a particular tone is only possible in highly controlled conditions unlike those who stand 5 feet away from an amp blasting 100db past their knees in largely adverse acoustic conditions and wondering why they don't get the "that sound" that their hero gets on the CD apparently using the same gear (I say apparently, because in reality I imagine that a lot of recorded bass sounds are DI to the desk with EQ, amp sims and effects applied later). [/quote]

Yes, you are absolutely right. The digital revolution is here. Thank goodness :)