Why become a member? ×

disconnecting cooling fans

ahpook

as i've mentioned before, i'm tired of the whirring of cooling fans...

and i'm wondering about disconnecting the cooling fan on my 150w trace elliot head...i only ever use it for home practise, so it's hardly what you could call loud.

anyone tried this ? i realise it may be risky, which is why i'm asking before i try.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='212010' date='Jun 3 2008, 07:13 PM']as i've mentioned before, i'm tired of the whirring of cooling fans...

and i'm wondering about disconnecting the cooling fan on my 150w trace elliot head...i only ever use it for home practise, so it's hardly what you could call loud.

anyone tried this ? i realise it may be risky, which is why i'm asking before i try.[/quote]

not something I'd risk... too easy to forget and crank it up without reconnecting it...

I use my little Peavey for home practice and keep the Laney for gigs...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='212084' date='Jun 3 2008, 08:59 PM']not something I'd risk... too easy to forget and crank it up without reconnecting it...

I use my little Peavey for home practice and keep the Laney for gigs...[/quote]

i don't use the trace elliot live, so i'm not too worried about forgetting to connect it again.

Edited by ahpook

The cooling fan is presumably there for a reason. Maybe in conjunction with a thermostat, rather than just disconnecting it. But what temperature would you want the fan to cut back in?

Tricky. My Burman puts out a shitload of heat, and that doesn't have a cooling fan at all. Boy does the speaker lead get hot.

[quote name='pete.young' post='212097' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:15 PM']The cooling fan is presumably there for a reason. Maybe in conjunction with a thermostat, rather than just disconnecting it. But what temperature would you want the fan to cut back in?

Tricky. My Burman puts out a shitload of heat, and that doesn't have a cooling fan at all. Boy does the speaker lead get hot.[/quote]

there seems to be a thermostat on top of the heatsink...not sure if that's for thermal cutout or to ramp up the fan speed if needs be.

[quote name='paul, the' post='212108' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:23 PM']Can't you buy a quieter fan? Folk often do for computers.

(Disclaimer) I know nothing about this sort of thing.[/quote]

hmmm...now that's prolly a more sensible suggestion :)

well, i've just swapped the original fan for one i discovered in a box of pc bits, and it's turned out to be noisier !!

so i'm going to run it without a fan for a bit and see what happens...hopefully not the china syndrome !!

Edited by ahpook

Is this a "BiPolar Bear" power amp or MOSFET?

BiPolars, as they get hotter will run into thermal meltdown trying to sink more and more current. MOSFETs sink less current as they get hotter so will pose less of a risk of complete failure running without the fan.

Don't know if this is of any use but, as you say you tried a "fan from a PC" I assume the fan is a 12volt one?
If that's correct then you could try using a Panaflo fan. These are really quiet and commonly used to sort out noisy fans in PCs.
You can get them here: [url="http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/"]http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/[/url] I've bought a few and the service is great.
Another trick is to put a resistor in series with the fan to drop the voltage down to around 7 volts.

HTH
Steve

On the same sort of note…I’ve been trying to sort out my SV-CL head to replace the fan with a ‘silent’ one for a while now but it is quite unclear as to how I would get to the fan that’s positioned right at the front. Does anyone else own one and know how to get to the fan? Anyone with any advice?
It’s not bothering me too much so I’m rather disinclined to pay a pro for their expensive time to do the job for me as the job is a very simple one…if only I could get to the bloody fan! :)

[quote name='muzzer' post='212312' date='Jun 4 2008, 09:28 AM']Don't know if this is of any use but, as you say you tried a "fan from a PC" I assume the fan is a 12volt one?
If that's correct then you could try using a Panaflo fan. These are really quiet and commonly used to sort out noisy fans in PCs.
You can get them here: [url="http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/"]http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/[/url] I've bought a few and the service is great.
Another trick is to put a resistor in series with the fan to drop the voltage down to around 7 volts.

HTH
Steve[/quote]

yes - it's a 12V fan...i just stripped the power connector off and ran it into the screw terminals on the board in the amp/

i'll have a look at that site later...

and i guess they are Bipolar transistors, but I'm going to see how they go. I can't see a major meltdown happening before i get a silent fan.

Edited by ahpook