Why become a member? ×

applying decals

bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='211679' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:54 AM']I've got a decal coming for a new neck I'm putting on my project - does anyone have any tips for applying them?

Will I need to lacquer over it?

ta

John[/quote]

Hmmm. I've often wondered this too. I'm considering trying my hand at a Warmoth build at some stage in the next twelve months or so and would like to add a decal or two, so I'm also interested in replies.

Also, what's the best manner in which to get custom decals made? I'm not building a genuine Fender and won't pass it off as one of theirs so buying a Fender decal off the net isn't an option for me. How do you make / obtain custom decals, folks?

[quote name='Hamster' post='211703' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:17 PM']You'll find a few links to decal suppliers in the spare parts sticky above, and IIRC there's an application guide on the Axesrus website :)

Hamster[/quote]

Cheers, Hammy! Thanks for that.

OK.... (years of modelling experience coming thru...!)

waterslide transfers need to be applied onto a clean (no dust) fingermark and greasefree surface. Take some time doing this as one piece of dust can ruin the whole effect.

soak the transfer in shallow warm water unitl it seprates from the backing paper, and carefully lift it out of the water with flat faced tweazers. hold vertical over a piece of KITCHEN towel with the lower end just touching it to soak any excess water from it.

hold over your bass the same way (vertical) and slowly roll it onto teh surface from the dangling end unitl it is in place (this needs to be thought about before application).

Once in place gently apply a rolling pressure to it with the kitchen towel enusring you are rolling out any trapped water NOT pressing it in to place.

Once in place leave it at least overnight at room temperature to harden and dry. Dont rush it.

Once dry you can either spray pver the whole transfer with Acrylic laquer or carefully (depending upon your skill with a paint brush) paint a band 5-6mm wide all around the outside edge of teh transfer to seal the edges.

Complete overspaying with the appropriate laquer is the method that gives teh best results tho'

[quote name='The Burpster' post='211719' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:27 PM']OK.... (years of modelling experience coming thru...!)

waterslide transfers need to be applied onto a clean (no dust) fingermark and greasefree surface. Take some time doing this as one piece of dust can ruin the whole effect.

soak the transfer in shallow warm water unitl it seprates from the backing paper, and carefully lift it out of the water with flat faced tweazers. hold vertical over a piece of KITCHEN towel with the lower end just touching it to soak any excess water from it.

hold over your bass the same way (vertical) and slowly roll it onto teh surface from the dangling end unitl it is in place (this needs to be thought about before application).

Once in place gently apply a rolling pressure to it with the kitchen towel enusring you are rolling out any trapped water NOT pressing it in to place.

Once in place leave it at least overnight at room temperature to harden and dry. Dont rush it.

Once dry you can either spray pver the whole transfer with Acrylic laquer or carefully (depending upon your skill with a paint brush) paint a band 5-6mm wide all around the outside edge of teh transfer to seal the edges.

Complete overspaying with the appropriate laquer is the method that gives teh best results tho'[/quote]

Burpy forgot to say that it's also essential to stick your tongue out during the careful bits of the above process :)

Hamster

[quote name='Scoop' post='211682' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:02 PM']Hmmm. I've often wondered this too. I'm considering trying my hand at a Warmoth build at some stage in the next twelve months or so and would like to add a decal or two, so I'm also interested in replies.

Also, what's the best manner in which to get custom decals made? I'm not building a genuine Fender and won't pass it off as one of theirs so buying a Fender decal off the net isn't an option for me. How do you make / obtain custom decals, folks?[/quote]

Warmoth's smoked chrome decals look great, stick like sh*t to a blanket and don't need lacquered over.

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/supplies/supplies.cfm?fuseaction=stickers"]http://www.warmoth.com/supplies/supplies.c...action=stickers[/url]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='211719' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:27 PM']OK.... (years of modelling experience coming thru...!)

Complete overspaying with the appropriate laquer is the method that gives teh best results tho'[/quote]

Whoah there!

Lucky I bought 2. :)

So are these the same things that come with airfix models?

I got my decals from brauskoh off ebay. He does custom ones... He's done me a 70s TV precision logo but with a silver instead of gold outline.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='211808' date='Jun 3 2008, 02:12 PM']If its waterslide then yes...

Its slightly more sophisticated these days, you can buy the slide sheet in A4 size and print your own using your PC..[/quote]
Been looking into this myself - any recommendations for a good (ie cheap!) supplier of these?

Jon.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='211808' date='Jun 3 2008, 02:12 PM']If its waterslide then yes...

Its slightly more sophisticated these days, you can buy the slide sheet in A4 size and print your own using your PC..

But essentially big Airfix sets.....

Oh Aye, dont forget teh tongue... its essential! :)[/quote]

I shall use the tongue method. I usually suck my bottom lip but I will defer to your greater knowledge of the subject.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='211827' date='Jun 3 2008, 02:49 PM']Been looking into this myself - any recommendations for a good (ie cheap!) supplier of these?

Jon.[/quote]

Jon,

How much do you want?

I bought some off an ebay shop. if you only want one sheet to try I can sell one of mine!

here you go....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Inkjet-Waterslide-Decal-Paper-Pack-5-A4-Sheets_W0QQitemZ360046983702QQihZ023QQcategoryZ86728QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Inkjet-Watersl...Q2em118Q2el1247[/url]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='212155' date='Jun 3 2008, 10:32 PM']Jon,

How much do you want?

I bought some off an ebay shop. if you only want one sheet to try I can sell one of mine!

here you go....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Inkjet-Waterslide-Decal-Paper-Pack-5-A4-Sheets_W0QQitemZ360046983702QQihZ023QQcategoryZ86728QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Inkjet-Watersl...Q2em118Q2el1247[/url][/quote]

Cheers! One sheet just to see how it goes would be great - headstock transfers aren't exactly huge, are they! Is yours inkjet or laser?

J.

See my avatar image - that's what I'm planning to put on a clear plastic trc for my Rick copy proj:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19592"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19592[/url]

The idea being I print the design reversed onto a clear transfer & apply it to the underside of the trc. When it's dry, white spray over it to give it a background & seal it.

If that works, expect to see "Rickenfaker" & Rickenbugger" trcs on the bay. :huh: Until Big John Hall's death squads catch up with me... :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='212380' date='Jun 4 2008, 11:30 AM']See my avatar image - that's what I'm planning to put on a clear plastic trc for my Rick copy proj:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19592"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19592[/url]

The idea being I print the design reversed onto a clear transfer & apply it to the underside of the trc. When it's dry, white spray over it to give it a background & seal it.

If that works, expect to see "Rickenfaker" & Rickenbugger" trcs on the bay. :huh: Until Big John Hall's death squads catch up with me... :)

J.[/quote]

I imagine that you've already given some thought to establishing your own copyright / logo registration on [i]Rickenfaker, Rickenbugger[/i] and perhaps also [i]Matsumoku[/i], to avoid having your designs ripped off by unscrupulous manufacturers.

Then we could start a new thread drawing attention to eBayers trying to sell fake [i]Rickenfakers[/i] and you could employ your own Goon Squad of Ninja lawyers ...

:brow: