Why become a member? ×

London Bass Newbie

jmchich

I'm John, currently living in West London, training to be a nurse.

I've been playing for a little under a year. Currently taking lessons, but still a good way from being able to play in a band.

My musical interests include punk, ska, reggae, metal, blues and jazz

I own a tanglewood rebel bass (bought 2nd hand cus it was so much better than anything else available new for the same money) and a cheapo practice amp.

So hello everyone :)

Hey John,

Welcome from another noob. You came to a really informative site. Lost of stuff to read, and lots of people to answer your question, or to guide you towards the right gear to fit your needs.

A good way from being able to play in a band? Bollocks! You like jazz, don't you? Just join AMM or Evan Parker, and you'll be alright. ;)

Enjoy the site!

best,
bert

Welcome to the Forum John. This is the best BASS website forum on the entire interweb. There are some great people, there are some very talented people, and there are just some people. The one thing we all have in common is we all play/try to play/learn the worlds coolest instrument. :D

You have made a big step forward just by joining this forum. In time you will reaslise the truth of it :)

Welcome :D

I'd say join a band now..... Best way to develop.... I joined a band after 2 months!

I've been playing a year, and have moved from my first band to a much better band.

I honestly think that being in a band teaches you something you can never learn from lessons.... Playing with other musicians makes you really focus on what's being played and timing and dynamics. Don't get me wrong, my lessons are amazing and teach me everything I need to know about technique, theory and they are great fun, but to develop holistically, you need to play with other people too, as lets face it, the bass was never meant to be a solo instrument ;)