Why become a member? ×

Gretsch GAS

cocco

Has anyone played any of the gretsch hollow body range? Specifically the 34" G5440 LSB and the 32" G5123 B . They're roughly the same price (from guitar guitar), only the 32 has TV Jones pickups while the 34 has Gretsch's own. My main question is does the 34 balance well? And does it feel really long because of where the strap button is? Would the 32 feel more normal?

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1369136118' post='2085187']
I fancied the 34 and I'm going to take a look at one at Wunjo in London in a couple of weeks but more than likely I'm going to get a Warwick pro star bass instead.... Check it out at Thomann for £910 :-)
[/quote]

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/warwick-pro-series-starbass-4-bass-guitar-black--107314?gclid=CJaD28W6p7cCFUzHtAodu1wAgg £799 from DV24/7

I looked at a gretsch hb bass yesterday at guitarguitar in Glasgow. The pick ups pole pieces and strings didn't line up with no way to adjust the string spacing that I could see. I didn't even bother to plug it in. At £800+ you'd expect the QC to be better. You might find one which is better set up so good luck.

Got my Gretsch earlier in the year and just had it set up, strings changed, intonation, bridge pinned etc. It is a thing of great beauty - a bonny piece of work. A few observations...
It does feel long and it is a big body. Doesn't bother me as I'm 6 ft 5 though. There is neck dive and I guess you could move the strap button from the body to the heel of the neck (the Thunderbird ruse), but there's no way I'm taking a drill to it. The strings do not centre over the pole pieces but other than it might look better if I cared to look closely, I'm not bothered. Don't think tone/volume/whatever is affected either. Don't think this is a QC issue, it would be a design issue if anything. The build quality in general is just about flawless. Nice chunky neck which suits my big mits.

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1369338023' post='2088110']
Got my Gretsch earlier in the year and just had it set up, strings changed, intonation, bridge pinned etc. It is a thing of great beauty - a bonny piece of work. A few observations...
It does feel long and it is a big body. Doesn't bother me as I'm 6 ft 5 though. There is neck dive and I guess you could move the strap button from the body to the heel of the neck (the Thunderbird ruse), but there's no way I'm taking a drill to it. The strings do not centre over the pole pieces but other than it might look better if I cared to look closely, I'm not bothered. Don't think tone/volume/whatever is affected either. Don't think this is a QC issue, it would be a design issue if anything. The build quality in general is just about flawless. Nice chunky neck which suits my big mits.
[/quote]

Which one do you have?

I tried a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]G5123 today and loved it, thought it was 30inch scale not 32?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd have to run a closer eye over it before I bought one but I didn't see any issues fit and finish wise, I've also tried the Gibson Midtown and loved that but it doesn't have that proper hollowbody vibe (because it isn't it's a hollowed out solid body) I'd certainly be looking at the Gretsch before I buy a Guild Starfire.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TV pups for the win, they also work beautifully in that Fender Cabronita[/font][/color]