Why become a member? ×

For people with more than 1 bass...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1369059696' post='2084359']
Synchronicity!
I was just about to start a thread asking folks about that.
As a keyboardist, I'd routinely choose special sounds or different instruments during preparation, to see where the differences would lead me in my playing.
So I wondered if the same goes for bassists. I guess it does then.

Is this playing different things an important argument for people to keep different basses?

b,
b
[/quote]

I'd be interested to know the answer as I'm not really a bassist. I just happen to play the bass :)

I have a few basses that have been bought as birthday presents or have some link to a special occasion with my wife so wouldn't sell these ones.
Others i have like my Peavey 5 string i bought for a specific band and particular sound. The band fell thru and i would probably sell that if i needed to.
I like a collection of basses as sometimes its good to put a new slant on your band sound. My 6 string custom Overwater fretless was a special i had always wanted and was able to afford for my 50th. Wouldn't do that too often.

Currently looking at a Korean made Epi Thunderbird for a very good price from a friend who needs the cash.
My goto bass is generally my Jazz.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Love the three I have - consider myself lucky to have three custom instruments all made for me - my single cut 5 string is the main bass but the other two are pretty special as well...

Edited by urb

I'm well into double figures bass wise.
I have specific instruments for specific bands. I always carry at least two instruments too - one to play and one as spare/ drop tunings
Playing for a living I find things can sometimes get a little 'stale' , so when it does I pick up another instrument and I'm off again!
I'm a bass addict- I love the look, feel and sounds of different instruments too. No two sound exactly the same, and this is why I will always be looking for the next 'thunderchild'

I've currently got 4 , which is the most I've ever had.
1 is for sale is it isn't really required anymore - the Squier Silver Series

I need 2 as a minimum as I have my main 'gigger' which is now my 1974 Jazz (for selected gigs) - if it's a bit rough or outdoors then it'll stay in the van as a back up and I'll use my....
......75 RI Jazz, which was my main player for 7 years but has just become the backup - though its now got flats on it, plus I keep it tuned to Eb, but with the 'E' string down to C#.
My stingray, which was my main gigger for 5 years has been retired to home practise and recording. Though if I joined another originals band, depending on the style, it may become a gigger again.
In an ideal world I'd have a decent Precision, but tha then would be 'me' done.

I like the idea in principle of owning and using one bass, however in practice I like the idea of options e.g. active / passive, round / flats, pickup combinations etc. Also musical instruments have their own separate appeal aesthetically.

Therefore in some future time I might manage to get down to one fretless and one fretted bass, but there could very easily be one more just in case...

Edited by ead