Why become a member? ×

Download dilemma.

Believe it or not, I still have albums on vinyl that have not been purchased on cd , or even mp3. Thing is, I'm getting a craving for some certain albums /tracks.
For example ,Cause Of Death by Obituary is in my mind at the moment. Also , Cyclone by Tangerine Dream , and the first Roxx gang album. Bearing in mind, I listen to my sounds mainly commuting these days.

My turntable is not linked up to anything at the moment. Come to think of it, I'm using my Mac mini or ipad through monitors , and am listening to Canadian radio at home quite a lot . I was just wondering if I really need to buy the downloads or just link up the hifi again. Does anybody else have this kind of dilemma?

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1368733252' post='2080932']
Believe it or not, I still have albums on vinyl that have not been purchased on cd , or even mp3. Thing is, I'm getting a craving for some certain albums /tracks.
For example ,Cause Of Death by Obituary is in my mind at the moment. Also , Cyclone by Tangerine Dream , and the first Roxx gang album. Bearing in mind, I listen to my sounds mainly commuting these days.

My turntable is not linked up to anything at the moment. Come to think of it, I'm using my Mac mini or ipad through monitors , and am listening to Canadian radio at home quite a lot . I was just wondering if I really need to buy the downloads or just link up the hifi again. Does anybody else have this kind of dilemma?
[/quote]

Well you are AFAIK entitled to make copies of music you have already bought so so long as it solely for your personal use. Personally I have no qualms about downloading free copies (e.g. using one of the many youtube audio ripping sites) of material on albums I already own on CD /record/tape on the basis that my original purchase was essentially a licence to enjoy the music in perpetuity, but that is probably dodgy from a legal point of view.

I caught the vinyl bug about four years and very hastily sold all my cds to fund the addiction.
Then found that quite a few albums never got vinyl releases or were released in small numbers and now sell for loads of money.
I do spend more money on music now as I do enjoy collecting vinyl more than cds and the listening experience is more enjoyable.

[/quote]

Not since I converted all my vinyl. Only you can really decide but I'd recommend conversion on the basis that I listen to my old vinyl stuff far, far more since I digitised it all. I guess the choice is either to spnd the time on doing the conversion or spend the money on buying digital versions (which I wouldn't recommend because of the compression issues etc).

Go on, go along the conversion route - at the very least it'll force youto listen to all your old favourites at least one more time!

Does anybody else have this kind of dilemma?
[/quote]

Yes.
I've got 100s of LPs, 12"s and 7"s that have never had a digital release.
Last year, as I was packing up to move house, I took the opportunity to digitise lots of them.

Turntable ---> phono stage ---> USB audio box ---> iMac (running Audacity)

When I start doing this again I shall invest in a Pro-Ject Phono Stage with a built in USB port.

Loving all the replies ;) looks like I will just dig out vinyl and play when I want to. Some of you may know about the brother situation. Once he goes, I can move things around again and be settled ;) also, I don't believe in buying the same things in multiple formats. In the '80s I replaced a lot of vinyl with cd. If I want anything new, it will be cd.

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1368820453' post='2082056']
Loving all the replies ;) looks like I will just dig out vinyl and play when I want to. Some of you may know about the brother situation. Once he goes, I can move things around again and be settled ;)
[/quote]

I have to wait until I can afford to convert the loft.... :(

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1368818879' post='2082034']
The way I rememer listening to vinyl was through a haze of marijoo-anna and joss sticks. Its kind of hard to replicate these days without upsetting certain folk :unsure:
[/quote]

Haha, this is familiar. I'd say we were in the same room, just lost in the haze :lol: