Why become a member? ×

Throbbing thumb!!

SpaceChick

I know there is the anti slapping brigade here :P

However, I want to be a holistic bassist, so I am learning such wonderful techniques as slap bass, double tapping, pinched harmonics etc etc.

Well, I have been working on my slapping today.... I am getting much better at it, although I am very slow in tempo. What I do find is that give me 15 mins of slapping and I get a very sore thumb!! Then I have to stop and do some traditional playing.

I'm hoping that my thumb will get used to it, as the only way I am going to get my tempo up is if I can practice, however, due to my throbbing thumb, I am restricted to about 15 mins a day!!

So for fellow slappers, any tips for my thumb? Or is it a case of no pain, no gain.

(and yes, anti slap brigade, I do think there is a definite gain in slapping!!)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1368539199' post='2078178']
It's natures way of protecting the rest of us... :D
[/quote]

Damn you anti slappers :P

Don't get me wrong Ian, it's not my aim to go to the next London Bass show and slap at 20 miles an hour and show off ;)

However, to change dynamics in a song, some slapping is very useful..... And being in a Floyd tribute band, if I want to be authentic in "One of these days" I need to slap the start :D

If your thumb is hurting after 15 minutes then you're hitting the strings to hard with it.

How is slapping the start of "One of theses days" being "authentic" BTW?
The original was played with a pick (in fact I seem to recall reading that it's two basses, being played by Roger & David).

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1368540268' post='2078195']
If your thumb is hurting after 15 minutes then you're hitting the strings to hard with it.

How is slapping the start of "One of theses days" being "authentic" BTW?
The original was played with a pick (in fact I seem to recall reading that it's two basses, being played by Roger & David).
[/quote]

The live versions (which we are trying to copy) is one bass, played slap with a delay.

I started off really heavy handed with slapping, it was close to an assult to be honest. I get better results now with a more restrained technique, it'll be something that becomes more natural. Not sure a lighter approach is universal, in the C2B3 DVD you can really hera Claypool bounding the strings, this might be that envelope filter he uses but a noticable attack/strike noise sat on top of his tone.

Are you striking the string with your thumb knuckle? I knew someone who struggled pronoucing notes because he was almost palm muting as he did it, which made the whole thing muddy and awkward to hear and watch.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368540689' post='2078204']

Are you striking the string with your thumb knuckle? I knew someone who struggled pronoucing notes because he was almost palm muting as he did it, which made the whole thing muddy and awkward to hear and watch.
[/quote]

The pain is around my knuckle so I guess so :P

Doesn't help that I have teeny tiny thumbs, they really are rather mutantly small compared to my fingers :lol:

My teacher says that my technique is improving, but I want to be able to practice it for longer before I have to give in to the throbbing!!

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368540689' post='2078204']
[/quote]
I was just about to ask this too.
Also, are you getting your left hand in on the action? Getting a good slap rhythm going needs almost as much input from the left hand as the right.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1368540534' post='2078202']
I'm not actually 'anti' slap - it's fine and good in the right context. :)

At a rough guess, I'd say that you're probably hitting the string harder than you actually need to.
[/quote]

I think he's right there, more of a tap than a slap. :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1368540989' post='2078217']
The pain is around my knuckle so I guess so :P

Doesn't help that I have teeny tiny thumbs, they really are rather mutantly small compared to my fingers :lol:
[/quote]

Just start off playing open strings to find a balanced attack between manic and mousey. Im sure my technique is not perfect but: make sure theres enough space between your slap hand and the strings for a little wrist movement that can drive the thumb. I dont attack long the string, I do it across the string (not sure if this is text book good technique), with my thumb pointing up like a thumbs up position.

Unless you have unusually high action on your bass , you really shouldn't need to hit the strings very hard at all with your thumb . Roundwound strings hitting steel frets don't need much of a hit to make them to audibly slap against each other . There are loads of slap technique videos on You Tube - have a look at a few and consider if you are hitting a bit too hard in comparison to the players in the videos . Mark King famously puts a piece of gaffer tape on his slapping thumb to stop it from splitting , but that is a bit excessive for mere mortals such as ourselves . Slap is actually a very useful and relevant technique to learn , it's just how you use it that needs careful judgement .

Edited by Dingus

What gauge strings are you using?? Most of the slappers that I know (careful now!!) prefer finer gauge strings - personally I prefer 0.35s - but I'll even go to 0.30 gauge (thanks Rob at Status) if I can get them. MB1 sold me 2 sets of 30 gauge Status Double ball strings recently - cheers Martin..

The finer gauge strings are more sensitive and so you don't have to hit them as hard - also allows your left hand action to be more responsive.

Which part of your thumb you use isn't necessarily relevant - Victor Wooton actually favours using higher up on the thumb for his "Double Thumb" action. I had to do something similar when I first bought my Roscoe 5er as I found I was hitting too many bum notes when using the knuckle of my thumb. Using the higher part of my thumb encouraged me to be more accurate/precise.

It's like most things, with perseverance the skin on your thumb will toughen up and you'll get to where you need to be..

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1368547364' post='2078350']
I'm an up slapper :D
[/quote]

My thumb is pretty much parallel with the strings, being an up / down slapper can result in thumping more than one string whereas lining up your thumb with the strings makes this less likely.

As for the throbbing, as has been said you're probably hitting the strings too hard. There are two approaches (that I know of anyway!):

1: Thumbing the string into the neck: it's important to thumb fairly lightly and bounce off the string so that it doesn't get muted. Kinda like watching a rubbish drummer burying his drumstick into the drum versus of a good drummer bouncing off so quick you barely see it. I've found thumbing into the neck works fine for notes fretted low down the neck but as you move up the dusty end it can sound a bit weak as you can't get the string moving so much.

2: Thumbing through the string: where your thumb hits the string and continues down to rest on the next string. I find this gives the string more side to side motion and allows you to get more energy into the string, so it also helps solve the problem of playing high notes cleanly. It's also the starting point for double thumbing, bring the thumb back up and catching the string again.

Hope that helps!

You can slap on any gauge string - I used to use Superwound Funkmasters 30-90 when I was in my serious slapper days.
Now I use 45-135s & I can still play all the same slap stuff I did on the ultra light strings.

If you're only going to be playing the occasional bit of slap then I'd say stick with heavier strings because really light ones sound pretty thin for finger style or pick playing IMO.

are you keeping your forearm still or moving it?

the way i (try) to do it is point your index finger out and imagine a line thorugh your finger all the way up to your elbow joint

all the movement and effort comes from hand/wrist/forearm rotating around this axis allowing the thumb to bounce against the string the same way a piano hammer strikes a string - effectively the thumb itself can remain fairly passive its your arm that is using your thumb as a hammer :D

hope that makes sense