Why become a member? ×

Value for money or what? Steve Hackett at Apollo. Whoop!

Clarky

Not a huge Genesis fan but going with a mate and his brother (who apparently [i]is[/i] a huge Genesis fan) to the Sheffield gig on Wednesday. Pomeroy always does a solid job, seen him a couple of times with It Bites. Bit worried if the vocals are a bit cack, it's a significant part of the overrall performance for me. Should have got the guy from The Watch in, he's got Gabriel off to a tee.

Just saw them in Manchester. After seeing them in Newcastle earlier this year I had to go again. Amazing. I was so impressed with the Sage, its a really incredible venue sound-wise.

I can see where wateroftyne is coming from - Nad is a bit shaky at times, but he did a pretty good job overall, I think. The support act was a million times better in Manchester too (Alan Reed of Pallas' solo project)

Edited by MonkeyTrick

[quote name='MonkeyTrick' timestamp='1383036284' post='2259247']
I can see where wateroftyne is coming from - Nad is a bit shaky at times, but he did a pretty good job overall, I think. The support act was a million times better in Manchester too (Alan Reed of Pallas' solo project)
[/quote]

Even if his vocals were spot-on, I'd still struggle to warm to him. He's like a camp pantomime villain. I actually had my head in my hands once or twice.

On top of all that, the bloke in the seat directly in front of me thought it would be funny to put on a fox mask and stand at the foot of the stage in front of Hackett during the quiet bit before the climax of The Musical Box. Totally took the momentum out of it. Idiot...

Good gig last night in Sheffield and got there early enough to catch the last few numbers of Alan Reed's set. It said 'no support' on tickets so it was handy we went in as early as we did. Nad's voice is probably closer to Collins at the time of this material rather than Gabriel but as there is post PG stuff in the set then I guess it made sense to get someone who could adequately cover all bases, didn't forget any lyrics and the drummer did a decent turn too on some lead vox. Agree with WOT the theatrics don't really come off but a lot of the time I was just listening with eyes closed to the full band sound. Pomeroy absolutely bang on with everything he played, git... ;)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1368224767' post='2074780']
Met up with BCers Molan (Barrie) and Garythebass and saw Steve Hackett at the Apollo. Not only did it bring a huge lump to my throat as he played songs from my first ever gig (Genesis at Earls Court 1977, 13 year-old Clarky) but he played for 2 and three-quarter hours. Bloody hell. What a star. Some nice guests too, best being John Wetton who sang on one track and sounds fantastic still

That was a great gig! One happy Clarky
[/quote]

That was my first big gig too! As a 15 year old Lonestar
I wish id known about the Steve hackett gig too.

Oh my that's great thanks Clarky.
I cant tell you how much i enjoyed that concert. Even if my luminous glow ring necklace leaked and didn't last six weeks like the bloke said it would if I put it in the freezer. The whole adventure of me and my mate Ian schlepping up to Earls Court on the train from Kent at 15, a quick burger courtesy of the newly launched beef clown restaurant, and then Genesis live with two drummers, lasers and everything. Life has never been better
Aah Nostalgia isn't what it used to be