Why become a member? ×

TC electronic or peavey amp?

skydivepaul

I am looking to change my ashdown 300 210 for a similar amp ( i dont get on with the ashdown tone - it will be for sale soon)

whilst browsing the net for a new amp I have shortlisted two for now that meet my budget

1: TC electronic BG250 - looks like a good amp, has plenty of features and I like the tone of the TC gear
[url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250/"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250/[/url]

2: Peavey tour TNT115 - I like peavey gear and this class D amp seems really good value for money - either 400W or 600W would be great

[url="http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/811/116915/Tour%26nbsp%3BTNT%26reg%3B%26nbsp%3B115"]http://www.peavey.co...3B%26nbsp%3B115[/url]

or go for an old school peavey MKVI head with seperate cab?

does anyone know how a tc BG250 would compare with the ashdown mag 300 in terms of power (i know the BG250 is 50 watts shy on paper, but in the real world is there much difference)
Anyone have any experience of the Peavey TNT115?

many thanks

Paul

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1367102112' post='2061403']
The BG250 is only 16kg

The TNT 115 is 33kg

I like peavey but prefer TC !!!

It's got that cool toneprint thing on it which I am very interested in...
[/quote]

yes I like Peavey and TC!!
weight doesn't bother me, they keep me fit lugging them around :)

the toneprint thing looks interesting, I watched a youtube vid showing how to upload them to the amp by holding your phone next to the pickup on the guitar and via the app it sends a sound to the amp that changes the tone print!

It's been widely commented on already in this forum and elsewhere, but TC's model numbers do not relate directly to the output power when measured conventionally. Some of their kit has built-in tricks to make it sound louder (it works!) - this is the case for the 450s and 750, not sure whether it applies to the 250 and 50 models.

[quote name='skydivepaul' timestamp='1367102706' post='2061413']
the toneprint thing looks interesting, I watched a youtube vid showing how to upload them to the amp by holding your phone next to the pickup on the guitar and via the app it sends a sound to the amp that changes the tone print!
[/quote]

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me... :D

How many watts an amp is gives very little indication of how loud it'll run a speaker. TC kinda prove this with the RH amps as they all put out the same wattage.

Try both amps out & see what you like the best. :)

[quote name='skydivepaul' timestamp='1367102706' post='2061413']

yes I like Peavey and TC!!
weight doesn't bother me, they keep me fit lugging them around :)

[/quote]

Yeah! I saw the demo too.. Not sure how it works completely but it definitely separates it from the rest!! Hah! If you want a workout try getting some trace Elliot gear!! That'll give you a run for your money!! And drown out your guitarist too!!

I know nothing about TC, but that tone print thing just seems to have the potential to go the way of V2000 or Betamax. I own a Peavey Stereo Twin 400 chorus Combo (yes a guitard amp), I've had the thing for 17 years and it was old when I got it. Decent twin channel amp with dirty channel, spring re-verb and chorus. f*** loud and seems to thrive on being dropped down staircases. Stored in the shed outside an still breaking neighbours windows with the Les Paul.

I wonder if the TC could be so nasty?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1367102983' post='2061416']
It's been widely commented on already in this forum and elsewhere, but TC's model numbers do not relate directly to the output power when measured conventionally.
[/quote]

I've heard that this is also true of Peavey's current combos

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1367107430' post='2061443']
Yeah! I saw the demo too.. Not sure how it works completely but it definitely separates it from the rest!! Hah! If you want a workout try getting some trace Elliot gear!! That'll give you a run for your money!! And drown out your guitarist too!!
[/quote]

Funny enough trace elliot is also on my list of potential amps!

JapanAxe, on 27 April 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

It's been widely commented on already in this forum and elsewhere, but TC's model numbers do not relate directly to the output power when measured conventionally.

I've heard that this is also true of Peavey's current combos

yes the ashdown i have at the moment is rated at 307 watts, i dont beleive it is anywhere near that (maybe with an extension cab) one of our guitarists has a marshall valvestate 80 watt combo and that is loud. if he is on volume 4 - 5 I have to crank the ashdwon up to 8 - 9 to keep up

TC have a nice sound, and plenty of features, nice and light too. Peavey have a nice sound, are heavy, but virtually indestructable and are long-lasting.

I think I`d let the ears decide on this one. Plus, looking at power, whilst we all know that wattage isn`t always an exact, I would assume that a 600 watt amp would be louder than a 250.

[i]I had the TC combo for a while and couldn't fault it for it's price and features. Tone print worked fine although not something to be trying to change mid gig as takes a few seconds, but the feature worked perfectly with some very usable effects from the TC app.[/i]

the TC has all the features I want but not sure if it will be down on power and you cant plug an extension speaker in.
I dont think i would try to change the tone print mid gig, that sounds like a recipe for disaster!

The peavey will have plenty of power and you can always jack another speaker in.
The two things i dont like about it are - it doesnt have an aux or jack in for ipod (i like to practice along with the songs at home) (Although my ashdown doesnt so i have a120W behringer for home practice)
The kickback enclosue will be awkward to fit castors on if i wanted to

The TC does have DI socket so you can hook it up to the PA if you need more juice

Not sure if it has line out but if so then just hook it up to another combo hah!

I've got two trace Elliot combos and I chain them together... Makes you huff and sweat though when I'm humping 70kg worth of amp around...
Kinda worth it though for the sound it pumps out...

Still curious about the TC though for at home...

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1367157533' post='2061859']
The TC does have DI socket so you can hook it up to the PA if you need more juice

Not sure if it has line out but if so then just hook it up to another combo hah!

I've got two trace Elliot combos and I chain them together... Makes you huff and sweat though when I'm humping 70kg worth of amp around...
Kinda worth it though for the sound it pumps out...

Still curious about the TC though for at home...
[/quote]

what trace elliot combos do you have?

found this on gum tree http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/trace-elliot-series-6-gp12-bass-head/1015757144
Looks like another option for me :o

yeah the GP12 there looks ok.

there is another BCer here who's selling his trace elliot 4x10 combo, good price. worth investigating, its in the amps and cabs for sale section...

i've got a 300w GP12SMX 4x10 combo + 300w GP7SM 1x15 combo

the 1x15 covers the low end of the spectrum and the 4x10+hf covers the mid range honk and high end. sounds fat and albeit heavy!!

gotta love the trace elliot stuff, built like tanks!

on a different thought...all of my gear is built like tank...boss pedals/trace elliot amps...apart from my bass which is cheap and cheerful. i guess if that broke, i could always just buy another cheap one...(im not one for really expensive guitars...)

have a look around on ebaygumtree and here as well, some real good quality stuff to be had at great prices!!

yes will do some more searching ebaygumtree for these.

the old stuff is heavy but like you say built like a tank. good thing with the old stuff is you can fix it if it breaks.
I service and repair CCTV and access controls sytsems so can weild a soldering iron and test meter.

the new PCB's with surface mount technology can only be repaired by nano bots !!

i am used to heavy stuff - my new (to me ) old bass is a peavy t40 that weighs about as much as a tree!

Depends, if it is a hobby band, you can take a punt on amps, but if it's a pro band then you need the boring old, never breaks, works year in year out peavey.
When you take a walk out, much of a finely sculptured tone never makes it off stage and bass is bass.

Ignore the wattage of the amps & try them out yourself to see how loud they go. Watts tells you not how loud it goes, just how hot it can make a cone's coil.

I used to have an old Trace Elliot GP7 4x10 combo which sounded good in the house, but on stage it was useless. Farted if you wanted any bass at any volume. I'd happily gig my 30w Vox combo over it.
Maybe TE used guitar drivers in the 4x10s & that's why they led folk to believe you need a 15" for bass?