Why become a member? ×

Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who

bnt

Something for the VCR from BBC2 :

[quote]Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who

Fri 30 May, 11:35 pm - 1:35 am 120mins

Authorized by The Who, directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Murray Lerner and co-directed by Paul Crowder, Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who is a powerful documentary that is the definitive audio-visual record of this legendary British rock band. Telling The Who's story, the film also explores the development of the band today, following Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey as they record The Who's first new music in more than 20 years, and travels to the Far East for their first-ever live performance in Japan. Strong language. [S][/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' post='210353' date='Jun 1 2008, 12:45 AM']I've only seen part of it so far. Daltry seems an OK guy but Townsend.... what an arrogant and unpleasant person.[/quote]

There's certainly something of the tortured artist about him. He seems to have had so much responsibility for the Who in a writing/direction sense and plenty of critisism when he got it wrong. Hard thing to deal with.

I watched it - excellent show. Good too that the filmakers didn't dwell too much deaths of Moon and Entwhistle in that voyeuristic way that filmakers often do. It would make their death more significant than their lives. What a loss they were though , if only they could have curbed it a bit.

What did surprise me was the interviewed celebs trashing the Tommy movie. Sure it's OTT camp etc but I think it's superb. Ollie Reed - Moon's 'Uncle Ernie' - great stuff. They singled out Clapton's role for critisism but I thought it was an inspired choice , a swipe at the 'Clapton is God' stuff in the 60's.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='210419' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:43 AM']There's certainly something of the tortured artist about him. He seems to have had so much responsibility for the Who in a writing/direction sense and plenty of critisism when he got it wrong. Hard thing to deal with.

I watched it - excellent show. Good too that the filmakers didn't dwell too much deaths of Moon and Entwhistle in that voyeuristic way that filmakers often do. It would make their death more significant than their lives. What a loss they were though , if only they could have curbed it a bit.[/quote]

+1. well put doc.

i though it was great viewing too.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='210419' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:43 AM']What did surprise me was the interviewed celebs trashing the Tommy movie.[/quote]
It was the [i]Tommy[/i] movie, as much as anything else, that got me into music as a kid in the 70s. Quite telling that one of the slebs slagging it was Noel Gallagher - who I've always felt utterly failed to "get" The Who on any level beyond their 60s haircuts. :)

I thought it was a great documentary, some of the early archive footage was superb, & some great insights, particularly from Townshend.

Jon.