Why become a member? ×

Wren&Cuff Tall Font Russian

Ghost_Bass

I always liked W&C fuzzes and until recently i owned a Pickle Pie B. It is without a doubt the best fuzz i ever owned but my current band wasn't giving it enough use so i ended selling it to a friend who needed it more than i. Ever since i've sold the pedal i started looking for cheap alternatives but having tried a bunch of stuff in the past nothing would sound so good so i started GASing for the PPB again and in one of my trips to their site i spotted this:
[media]http://youtu.be/0VD5nac_eU8[/media]

Now i have GAS for the TFR instead of the PPB. Anybody knows of any stores selling this pedal in UK? Only dealer i've found were in Sweden and Denmark, both sell the pedal for around 210€ plus shipping. Just want to know if there's anybody else stocking them to compare prices.

Cheers

i don't think anyone in the UK sells W&C pedals. I think your best bet is to buy from prymaxe in the US. They always have a sale on (currently 15% off the retail price), which will make it much cheaper than the prices you state (with shipping, minus the discount, it would be about $190 US)

Edited by GazWills

It's an awesome fuzz, the best muff clone I've ever tried, but I wouldn't go for the one with the built in blend - it sounded like the clean was out of phase with the fuzz, with a big volume drop somewhere in the middle of the blend knob travel. Not sure if they're all that way, Matt at W&C insisted they were not out of phase but my ears told me differently, having owned various fuzzes with blend controls as well as standalone blenders in my time.

I've been tempted by this pedal but I'm on a strict no-pedal-purchases regime right now.

I have the Phat Phuk B which just sounds so effortlessly 'big' that I expect I would love any Wren & Cuff pedal!

Had dealings with the guys themselves recently and the company are super helpful to boot :)

Edit: Also, +1 for Prymaxe, Gaz recommended them to me in another thread and I will definitely use them again!

Edited by plunkrock

I got mine from Prymaxe's eBay store.

I used to have a PPB and I still have a Tri Pie 70. This is all in my humble opinion but I think the TFR is the best out of the three for bass. The PPB was a pretty sick fuzz but a bit too... not harsh, but synth-like? Amazing pedal but it didn't really fit with my current projects. The Tri Pie 70 is also great but it shines more with guitar than bass. Certainly not unusable by any means.

The TFR has a special something in the low mids. When I tried it out on a recent gig I could feel the low end punching the back of my knees with each note (pretty much the same as when I was playing clean) while the fuzziness just filled everything else. It was perfect for making the whole band sound bigger.

TFR and B3K??? Can you please tell me where you live and what's the time of the day that you're away from the house??? :P

Great clip, love the sound, the B3K is another of my goals, in the end i want to end up with Pitchblack, MXR Octave, B3K, TFR, 3Leaf GR, MXR Comp.

Can i ask you why did you used the B3K after the TFR (i usualy ise drive before distortion/fuzz)? What would you say are the main diferences between both arrangements?

Cheers

I found that running the B3K into the fuzz produced a fuzz that was more prone to glitchy sounds due to the accented high end. I like to treat the B3K as the front end of an amp; for some applications I use it as an always on tone and then the fuzz's reaction to my playing remains the same but colour is changed by the B3K. That said, I like to run the B3K into a BB sometimes to add some mids and warm up the sound while maintaining the B3K's grind (sounds more muddy running the BB into the B3K).

I wouldn't use the TFR and B3K for the gigs I'm doing as the sound is too extreme and scooped. It would make an awesome tone if I was playing in something heavier, or as a two piece.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1366740954' post='2056718']
I like my TFR, but I'm just not really into FUZZ, I love distortion and OD more, probably gonna whack mine on eBay so I can buy myself a zoom b3
[/quote]

Must... not... follow effects for sale forum... again...

I would recommend looking at the Arc Effects Big Green Pie, excellent tall font clone with a superb enclosure and a couple of switches inside offering more than just the stock muff sound. Haven't tried the W&C Tall font but it certainly blows the pickle pie out of the water for me.

ha - started browsing this thread at half time in the footy and had to go play my TFR!

i think i'm the opposite to Ant, love low gain o/d and muffy fuzz, but distortion doesn't do that much for me. why the hell did I just buy a sodding rat tail!!! another pedal heading to the classifieds soon!

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1366748729' post='2056910']
ha - started browsing this thread at half time in the footy and had to go play my TFR!

i think i'm the opposite to Ant, love low gain o/d and muffy fuzz, but distortion doesn't do that much for me. why the hell did I just buy a sodding rat tail!!! another pedal heading to the classifieds soon!
[/quote]

Without sounding creepy, I've noticed that we've shared a similar taste in pedals and dirt for quite a while lol.

I like my B3K set to low-medium gain but I do like to crank it up along with the treble with a P bass, pick and fresh rounds for those Takeshi Ueda moments ;)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1366747066' post='2056860']
Good comparison of them here: [url="http://pedalsandeffects.com/fuzz-wars-round-5-weezer-bassist-scott-shriner-and-dot-hackers-bassist-jonathan-hischke/"]http://pedalsandeffe...nathan-hischke/[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting. Kinda sad that he brushed over the Arc so briefly without messing with the dip switches. Also seemed to have the volume lower than the Wren & Cuff which made it sound like it had less 'umph' in the video, but you can at least get from the video that the clarity on the Arc seems better, assuming they have the tone knobs equal. I'd like to try the Wren & Cuff but the Arc is truly my favourite muff clone i have tried and certainly the closest to the original, allbeit with much more low end and tone options. Umcoo, i'll be interested to hear how you get on!

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1366749041' post='2056915']
Without sounding creepy, I've noticed that we've shared a similar taste in pedals and dirt for quite a while lol.
[/quote]

so this means you [i]won't[/i] be buying my fuzzrocious rat tail, or you [i]will[/i]? ;)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1366751378' post='2056972']
Interesting. Kinda sad that he brushed over the Arc so briefly without messing with the dip switches. Also seemed to have the volume lower than the Wren & Cuff which made it sound like it had less 'umph' in the video, but you can at least get from the video that the clarity on the Arc seems better, assuming they have the tone knobs equal. I'd like to try the Wren & Cuff but the Arc is truly my favourite muff clone i have tried and certainly the closest to the original, allbeit with much more low end and tone options. Umcoo, i'll be interested to hear how you get on!
[/quote]

Yeah I'll post my findings. Going on videos from Youtube, it seem the W+C has a bit more of a gritty sound and is less gain that the BGP (which is what I'm looking for) so we'll see!

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1366752288' post='2056997']
Yeah I'll post my findings. Going on videos from Youtube, it seem the W+C has a bit more of a gritty sound and is less gain that the BGP (which is what I'm looking for) so we'll see!
[/quote]

Sounds good! I run my B3K into the BGP and i get a good level of grittyness in the tone that way, but the temptation to pick up a W+C to compare is pretty high!

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1366751828' post='2056983']
so this means you [i]won't[/i] be buying my fuzzrocious rat tail, or you [i]will[/i]? ;)
[/quote]

Alas! Unfortunately I've never heard a clip of a Rat, clone or otherwise that I've liked :(

*For diplomacy's sake, not that there's anything wrong with Rats, just not my bag of tricks :)

Edited by BigBassBob

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1366751378' post='2056972']Interesting. Kinda sad that he brushed over the Arc so briefly without messing with the dip switches.[/quote]

Oh yeah, there's a follow up vid going over the dip switches!

http://pedalsandeffects.com/arc-effects-big-green-%CF%80-vs-sovtek-big-muff/

had another go with the TFR russian last night, pretty cool but still not for me
the russian muff style is still my favourite from the fuzzes, but i just dont see a place to use it in my music, plus if i ever did get a fuzz, i'd just grab a Fuzzrocious because Ry has always been a dude to me (brand loyalty haha!)

if anyone has a Zoom B3 and wants to trade, hit me up

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1366785846' post='2057175']
had another go with the TFR russian last night, pretty cool but still not for me
the russian muff style is still my favourite from the fuzzes, but i just dont see a place to use it in my music, plus if i ever did get a fuzz, i'd just grab a Fuzzrocious because Ry has always been a dude to me (brand loyalty haha!)

if anyone has a Zoom B3 and wants to trade, hit me up
[/quote]

I'll buy your TRF straight away if we agree on the right price ;) PM on the way!