Why become a member? ×

Finger players - do you always use the same fingers for a given riff? Example - ZZ Top La Grange

Max Dread

Hi all

I'm just having a look at ZZ Top La Grange. In the solo section (key of C) the end of the riff plays some notes on the D string (a D# and F). As a beginner on bass, I'm not sure whether I should always use the same fingers on the right hand for plucking those notes, or whether I should use whatever comes naturally, even if it keeps changing?

[b]And that leads me onto thinking more generally with bass whether you learn specific finger patterns for the "picking" hand, or just or just go with the flow.[/b]

A bit of background.... I've been a 6 stringer for over 20 years and with guitar I always learn the correct pattern to my mind for picking (IE the order of Downs and Ups when alternate picking). Hence my curiosity as to whether it's the same with bass.

I'm going to put a poll on to get a general overview, but comments would also be very interesting and helpful.

Many thanks

Max

Strange timing! Earlier today, I emailed a mate who's going to do some plastering for me. I've booked him in for the 4th May. Literally 7 minutes before your response he emailed me back and said "Star wars day is fine with me... (May the fourth be with you)".

So the force it is I reckon!

And just to be sure here, by that I'm guessing you mean "Go with the flow"?

[quote name='Max Dread' timestamp='1366495525' post='2053316']
Strange timing! Earlier today, I emailed a mate who's going to do some plastering for me. I've booked him in for the 4th May. Literally 7 minutes before your response he emailed me back and said "Star wars day is fine with me... (May the fourth be with you)".

So the force it is I reckon!

And just to be sure here, by that I'm guessing you mean "Go with the flow"?
[/quote]

Exactly!

Not something you will be thinking about, in time.

You want to get to an even regular alternate stroke.. so all you should really concentrate on is that at slow speeds.
This is good practice...and when you speed up, your brain will process things at speed but only highlight a
certain section as a thought process..and therefore you are aware of it..

That process will be highlighted and printed 'front of screen, as it were, whilst everything else is hammering away in another part of your brain

Hi guys

Thanks for the helpful responses Seems like going for the flow (or using the force, if you will) is the recommended approach.

I have been reading a lot about strict alternate picking VS raking, and it seems that that debate is also relevant to this query. If I "go with the flow", it seems that I'll sometimes play it SA and at other times play it with a small amount of raking OTOH, if I work out what fingers to use prior and then practice using just those fingers, I get to choose whether to SA or rake.

I can certainly see the sense in going with the flow. But I wonder whether those players in other threads who strongly back either SA or raking, would do the same here and say you should choose how you will finger it depending on what your chosen favoured technique is.

Just thinking allowed really, and would be most interesting to hear what others think.

Many thanks

Usually, go with the flow. If you're over thinking it, it can distract you from your playing. However with some very tricky passages it can be helpful to sit and work out the best fingering for it, and go over it a few times until you get it right. Eventually you'll be able to go with the flow on it once you're used to it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It can matter on very intense passages etc but, in reality, rarely does. I know nth tune La Grange and, although I have never played it, would be surprised if a range of options won't work (Dusty ain't no Alain Caron :lol:)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1366494144' post='2053292']
....Use the force Luke....
[/quote]

+1

I have no idea what my right hand is doing. It just magically goes to the same string my left hand is on.

I have more important things to worry about, like "what the hell did the guitarist just play, and will he attempt a bar of 5/4 in the next verse as well".