Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1490874517' post='3268665']
If i started gigging again i just wouldn't bother with the cabs at all unless i had to have one. Even for a pub/club band having a PA doing the legwork will give you a much better sound than trying to mix everyones amps.
[/quote]
Exactly. But nobody ever seems to want to invest in a decent PA. :( Surprising really, because PA cabs components typical far exceed the components found in a lot of boutique cabs. Likewise, the EQ and compression options on modern, low price digital desks, will blow away the offering from your typical bass amp or dedicated bass preamp.

Go figure!

Its amazing how much cleaner and less swampy an ampless band sounds!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1490815153' post='3268318']

So if you are one of these guys that don't want to go digital but want to explore IEMs further, I remembered that if you have a desk with direct outputs as above, then there is the nifty P16-i from Behringer for just short of 200 notes.

[/quote]
Ah, so could you also use this with a desk with no direct outputs, using one Aux mix instead?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1490981256' post='3269624']
Ah, so could you also use this with a desk with no direct outputs, using one Aux mix instead?
[/quote]
You could - but there would be very little point as if you are summing to just one aux mix, it would mean that you would lose the ability to mix the individual channels separately to front of house. If you wanted lots of people to share one common monitor mix, something like this would be the way to go.

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-MicroAMP-HA400-Headphone-Amplifier/6M0

Edited by EBS_freak

OK, I've read through the last 25 pages and loads of different names (or should I say, letters and numbers that don't make any sense unless you actually know what you are talking about - which I don't) of different systems have been mentioned.

I know the gear4music system ( http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Wireless-In-Ear-Monitor-System-Pack-by-Gear4music-3-Receivers/164T plus 2 extra receivers ) is cheap but there are 5 of us in the band and can't afford much more. Is it adequate for most general uses ie. pubs and weddings

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1491293881' post='3271800']
OK, I've read through the last 25 pages and loads of different names (or should I say, letters and numbers that don't make any sense unless you actually know what you are talking about - which I don't) of different systems have been mentioned.

I know the gear4music system ( [url="http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Wireless-In-Ear-Monitor-System-Pack-by-Gear4music-3-Receivers/164T"]http://www.gear4musi...-Receivers/164T[/url] plus 2 extra receivers ) is cheap but there are 5 of us in the band and can't afford much more. Is it adequate for most general uses ie. pubs and weddings
[/quote]
What desk have you got? I would wager that doing in-ears on such a tight budget is not going to result in a good experience but if you can tell us more about your current desk and setup, I may be able to help you out.

I would say that with such a tight budget, a wired solution is going to yield much better results.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1491301770' post='3271897']
Depends on the venue - we don't have a desk so we either get one in or use whatever is available
[/quote]
Ok so it sounds like you've got a bit of an impossible entry at the moment. The first thing I would suggest to you is that you save for a digital mixer as a basis to then build upon at a later date. Something like a xr18, 1608 or m18 would be a good call.

Edited by EBS_freak

• 3 weeks later...

Whoop, paid a visit to Paul at CIEM in Stanstead Abbots today and had the ear impressions done for re-shelling my UE900s. Nice guy and very professional. 6 week wait now whilst my UE900s are sent to California to be transformed into custom moulds.
Anyone considering doing this should be aware that the £199 quoted for reshells will rise to £300 by the time you factor in the required impression work and new cables (existing ones won't fit once they are reshelled.

Just posted a review video discussing an ambient mix solution I am using for my IEMs.

Let me know what you think on the thread. I'm sharing it here to cross link with this thread.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/304769-ambient-in-ear-mix-on-a-budget-zoom-h2n-recorder-and-in-ear-monitors/

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1493142534' post='3286027']
Whoop, paid a visit to Paul at CIEM in Stanstead Abbots today and had the ear impressions done for re-shelling my UE900s. Nice guy and very professional. 6 week wait now whilst my UE900s are sent to California to be transformed into custom moulds.
Anyone considering doing this should be aware that the £199 quoted for reshells will rise to £300 by the time you factor in the required impression work and new cables (existing ones won't fit once they are reshelled.
[/quote]
They used to rehouse the existing connector :-/ Looks like they are standardising with the two pin. Impressions will normally cost you 30-40 quid if you can't blag them for free.

Let us know when they arrive... I think that you will be suitably impressed with the transformation!

Hello again. Only me.

So, it's often hard for me to describe how good IEMs can be with regard to getting a monitor mix in your ears. I know I've put up an IEM mix previously in the thread but that was just a snapshot in time of what I had going to my inears on that gig and may not be mixed to your own personal taste.

I was playing with some Klang stuff recently and didn't appreciate that their controller app now comes with a demo mode... which is really powerful for showing people how full stereo mixes (or 3d in Klangs world - although that 3d element does mean investing in their (expensive) hardware (it tracks your position on the stage!)) can sound in their ears.

Basically, the app has a little demo with a mixer built into with a 3d option that allows you to place objects around you to create the stereo mix in your ears... Have a play with it and if you haven't experimented with IEMs yet, it may help shine a light on what we are all going mad over. What you are mixing in the app, is effectively what you would be mixing on your own mixing desk out on a gig.

Anyway, have fun - and here's the link...

https://www.klang.com/en/downloads#klangapp221

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those guys that are looking at capable desks for running their inears...

The new QSC TouchMix updates are pretty outstanding... so it should defo be a contender, especially as you don't need any sort of existing iPad to use it and it's a lot more smaller and lightweight than some of the comparable products that have physical sliders.

So here are the details -

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Announcing TouchMix Version 3.0[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]On June 6, we will be introducing TouchMix V3.0 for TouchMix-8/16. Version 3.0 includes twenty significant enhancements, making these models far and away the most powerful and comprehensive, yet easy-to-use compact mixers available. Many features previously available exclusively on the TouchMix-30 Pro are now implemented, including:[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Anti-Feedback Wizard[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Room-Tuning Wizard[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Real-Time Analyzer (RTA)[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Copy-and-Paste[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Playback of MP3 files on a USB drive[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Input Delay[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Output PEQ[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• 15 dB Digital Gain[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Channel Overview[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• USB Drive Formatting[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Improved graphics and screen layout (similar to TM-30 Pro)[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]A number of additional, all-new features in Version 3.0 are also provided including:[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Channel Safe[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Tap Tempo[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Tablet Follows Mixer[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Four additional User Buttons (on connected tablet)[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• Ability to configure Aux 7/8 and Aux 9/10 as balanced, mono outputs (TouchMix-16)[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• K.2 Series Preset simulation[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• System check, offering direct download of updates when the mixer is connected to the Internet.[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]• More...[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]The first two points are pretty interesting - that sort of feature set usually requires some sort of outboard. Looking forward to the release and testing it out.[/size][/size][/font]

I was a very early adopter of wireless IEMs but after many years of generic silicon earpieces and lately Shure SE215 IEMS, I've decided to take the plunge and go for a set of 64 Audio A3 custom fitted IEMs. Paul at Custom IEM has been excellent with his comms etc and confirmed that the A3 will suit my needs very well - I tend to have a very balanced mix, almost like an engineer's FoH mix with the bass and my lead vocals just pushed forward a touch.

Now I just have to arrange for an impression and then a 3-4 week wait once I place the order :)

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1494928376' post='3299590']
I was a very early adopter of wireless IEMs but after many years of generic silicon earpieces and lately Shure SE215 IEMS, I've decided to take the plunge and go for a set of 64 Audio A3 custom fitted IEMs. Paul at Custom IEM has been excellent with his comms etc and confirmed that the A3 will suit my needs very well - I tend to have a very balanced mix, almost like an engineer's FoH mix with the bass and my lead vocals just pushed forward a touch.

Now I just have to arrange for an impression and then a 3-4 week wait once I place the order :)
[/quote]
Good work - I think you will notice a huge improvement in the fit and performance over the 215s. The 64s are lovely - exceptionally well made - I bought a pair of triples for my gf for the gym (she couldn't find anything to stay in here ears), she can't get enough of them.

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOHHHHHHHhhhhh.
Want!

http://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/av/lectrosonics-to-debut-duet-digital-wireless-monitor-system-at-nab/

Digital at last with latency figures that will work! 4 hours is pretty chuff though.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1495811785' post='3306821']
OOOOHHHHHHHhhhhh.
Want!

[url="http://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/av/lectrosonics-to-debut-duet-digital-wireless-monitor-system-at-nab/"]http://www.prosoundw...-system-at-nab/[/url]

Digital at last with latency figures that will work! 4 hours is pretty chuff though.
[/quote]

I'll have to check that link!

You wouldn't happen to know of any battery powered (possibly even belt clip mount) IEM headphone amplifiers that can accept two STEREO signals for mixing, rather than just the usual single stereo or dual mono?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495820114' post='3306899']

I'll have to check that link!

You wouldn't happen to know of any battery powered (possibly even belt clip mount) IEM headphone amplifiers that can accept two STEREO signals for mixing, rather than just the usual single stereo or dual mono?
[/quote]
I know what you are up to (been there myself) - and nope.

I think this is about the closest - http://www.rockonaudio.com/?page=past_news

Edited by EBS_freak

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1494931237' post='3299629']
Good work - I think you will notice a huge improvement in the fit and performance over the 215s. The 64s are lovely - exceptionally well made - I bought a pair of triples for my gf for the gym (she couldn't find anything to stay in here ears), she can't get enough of them.
[/quote]

Well - the A3s arrived and it was straight upstairs to try them with some audio - my word! It's like seeing an Imax cinema screen after watching a black and white TV. I can hear things in a mix that were just background noise before - bass lines pop out and become easy to distinguish, vocals sit pretty much in the front of the mix too. I really can't wait to try these at a rehearsal soon. Worth every single penny. I never had a problem with the fit of the 215s and the generic olives but these are something else. The Custom IEM Co turned the order around inside 2 weeks too.

I've back to back tested them with my 215s and I'm not even sure I want to use those for audio either - I feel very spoiled!

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1497885754' post='3321112']
Well - the A3s arrived and it was straight upstairs to try them with some audio - my word! It's like seeing an Imax cinema screen after watching a black and white TV. I can hear things in a mix that were just background noise before - bass lines pop out and become easy to distinguish, vocals sit pretty much in the front of the mix too. I really can't wait to try these at a rehearsal soon. Worth every single penny. I never had a problem with the fit of the 215s and the generic olives but these are something else. The Custom IEM Co turned the order around inside 2 weeks too.

I've back to back tested them with my 215s and I'm not even sure I want to use those for audio either - I feel very spoiled!
[/quote]
Nice one. I'm pleased that you get it. Its really hard to describe how night and day a set of customs are compared to the 215s. Not saying the 215s are bad per se, it's just that as soon as you get into the custom multi driver realm, things REALLY start to take off. Enjoy!!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1497887465' post='3321136']
Nice one. I'm pleased that you get it. Its really hard to describe how night and day a set of customs are compared to the 215s. Not saying the 215s are bad per se, it's just that as soon as you get into the custom multi driver realm, things REALLY start to take off. Enjoy!!
[/quote]

It would be impossible NOT to get it once you put a set of these in your ears!!!!

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1497885754' post='3321112']
Well - the A3s arrived and it was straight upstairs to try them with some audio - my word! [b] It's like seeing an Imax cinema screen after watching a black and white TV.[/b] I can hear things in a mix that were just background noise before - bass lines pop out and become easy to distinguish, vocals sit pretty much in the front of the mix too. I really can't wait to try these at a rehearsal soon. Worth every single penny. I never had a problem with the fit of the 215s and the generic olives but these are something else. The Custom IEM Co turned the order around inside 2 weeks too.

[/quote]

Congratulations! I just wanted to chime in and say that this is exactly how I have described my own IEMs. The subs in the low end are a wonderful thing. I also really love the detail of music and how connecting it feels with a great set of IEMs vs generic buds. Yes, some buds are great, but a custom set of quality IEMs is a huge leap up.

In my ongoing attempt to go fully ampless but on the cheap, I've just pulled the trigger on an EHX headphone amp. Not overly keen on the downward facing input jack but I might just have to run the cable under my strap to keep it under from popping out. I'll post my thoughts once it arrives and if I remember!

[url="http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp"]http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp[/url]

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1498073314' post='3322395']
In my ongoing attempt to go fully ampless but on the cheap, I've just pulled the trigger on an EHX headphone amp. Not overly keen on the downward facing input jack but I might just have to run the cable under my strap to keep it under from popping out. I'll post my thoughts once it arrives and if I remember!

[url="http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp"]http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp[/url]
[/quote]
I've looked at these before - but I'm pretty sure that they are mono (with the signal split between the two ears on the output)

Cool pedalboard attachment though.