Why become a member? ×

Full stack or half stack?

badboy1984

Doing a gig tomorrow as support band, we definite going via the PA for support, so the amp and cab is mainly for stage monitor for myself.

Shall i lure the whole stack or just use half stack instead?

Last time i'm lucky to use the bass amp from the bass player in the band we supporting but this time I'm not allow so have to use my own.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1366372402' post='2051624']
the venue is not really big ...... max around 200-300 ppl.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366372414' post='2051625']
There you go - two contradictory views. :lol:
[/quote]

Getting a third may be awkward though.

Seriously, with a venue of that size, with FOH and everything going through it, I can`t see the stage being so big that a 212 isn`t enough.

I usually play at little places that are far too small to *need* both cabs (BF Compact and Midget, TC Classic 450) but I prefer the sound of using both together and so usually take them both. Whatever floats your boat, really.

I played in the venue before but never really use my own gear since I always lucky to use other people's gear. Last couple of times i play all bass player uses a full stack and is insanely loud and he still require to DI to the PA for the overall sound. so basically he have a large fridge for stage monitor.

Since I gonna get DI to the PA anyway and the sound guy will mix me in, i see i don't really need a full stack of 4x12. I can probably use 2x12 cab for stage monitor or just use my MXR bass DI and go straight into the mix?

The problem using the MXR will be if they refuse to give me a stage monitor then i'm stuff really because i can't hear myself playing ......

This is not my band but the photo shows the same venue.

Edited by badboy1984

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1366372402' post='2051624']
the venue is not really big ...... max around 200-300 ppl.
[/quote]

I'd go for a stage rig that can handle 400 good watts for that sort of sized venue... and that is assuming that the mon rig will
not have many mixes so you wont be in it..??
People may say keep the stage sound down...and there is argument for that...but having a good stage sound
means you'll play better.
If the band is going for it on stage..it is of no use trying to do battle with a 112 cab, IMO.
You can turn the thing down more effectively that you can eak out volume from a stressed bass amp and cab

hmm, lots to think about now. my TC rig isn't exactly heavy so i could actually lure the 2x BC212 cabs without a problem. Is just i trying to take less as possible.

The main problem is setting up the gear and sound check because my experience from last time (supporting the same band) is that the main band take up all the time to sound check and left us with no time to setup or sound check.

We only playing 8-9 songs on the time we been given and last time the guitarist guy had no sound check at all and me and the drummer couldn't even hear the guitarist and we can barely heard the vocalist.

Edited by badboy1984

You`ll certainly have a fuller sound on-stage with the two cabs, so if the monitors don`t push out enough of your bass, there`s a better chance you will hear yourself, not due to volume, but the depth of sound. But really, on a stage that size, a 212 is more than adequate.

However in my 7-piece band, I always said I would only use my 112 combo. All the band have small combos so this keeps our on-stage sound down to a good level, all working with approximately the same gear. So if your genre is rock/metal, and the guitarists have half or full stacks, again, you may need both 212s to not be overwhelmed by the depth of those.

So after all this, base your gear on the rest of the bands - loud drums and half-stacks, get some plentiful on-stage monitoring with your own gear, you can`t always rely on venues systems to provide this.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1366379852' post='2051824']
hmm, lots to think about now. my TC rig isn't exactly heavy so i could actually lure the 2x BC212 cabs without a problem. Is just i trying to take less as possible.

The main problem is setting up the gear and sound check because my experience from last time (supporting the same band) is that the main band take up all the time to sound check and left us with no time to setup or sound check.

We only playing 8-9 songs on the time we been given and last time the guitarist guy had no sound check at all and me and the drummer couldn't even hear the guitarist and we can barely heard the vocalist.
[/quote]

This is not a good working relationship. You should have sound check slots and pretty much stick to them.
Of course, any overuns are going to go against you guys...but there is nothing to be gained in being unhelpful to the point of
making the support sound poor. IMO.

Thanks Lozz, it give me something to think about tonight whether to take half or full. We play new wave rock so not uber metal or classic rock sound.

The guitarist in our band just use a 100watt ish guitar combo (not valve, all solid state). So stage volume will be ok.

JTUK: Regarding about the sound check slot, it seems they will have as much time as possible since people paid money to watch them and not us ........... Last time we had 10min before or less before the show starts to sound check .........

Ah the Witchwood if I'm not mistaken? That takes me back! It was a hole 20 years ago and I doubt it has got better.

Seriously, take 1 and stick it on a beer crate, its only so you can hear yourself, its less to carry and less to set up. PLus the engineer will probably be your friend if you have a smaller rig. You'll get all the bottom end you need from the FOH, in a place that size you just need some mids in your ear for definition.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1366381301' post='2051864']
Ah the Witchwood if I'm not mistaken? That takes me back! It was a hole 20 years ago and I doubt it has got better.

Seriously, take 1 and stick it on a beer crate, its only so you can hear yourself, its less to carry and less to set up. PLus the engineer will probably be your friend if you have a smaller rig. You'll get all the bottom end you need from the FOH, in a place that size you just need some mids in your ear for definition.
[/quote]

Good eyes mate, you are right is the Witchwood in Ashton Under-Lyne (Manchester). The stage is packed with stuff. Our band only consist drum, bass, guitar and vocal. So not much to setup, the other band have keyboard etc. which will take up space. I'm kinda like the 1 cab idea so play my bit and just pack my bag and go lol.