Why become a member? ×

How do you pronounce it?

squire5

[quote name='Viajero' post='209448' date='May 30 2008, 10:23 AM']There was a thread on this about a year ago, if I remember correctly.

I always say Eye-ban-ez, but there's a case for pronouncing it the Spanish way (as it presumably originated), either Ee-ban-eth or Ee-ban-yeth (though there's no ñ so the chance of the latter is slim).[/quote]

I believe i started that one! Although it was on amps and cabs methinks.

bergantino? berjantino?
epifarrniee? epiphany?
batch-us? Bacchus?
bay-ring-er? Be-rinj-er? POS? ( :) )
Sad-ow-ski? Sad-ow-Sky?

[quote name='ste_m3' post='209459' date='May 30 2008, 10:37 AM']batch-us? Bacchus?[/quote]

I always thought Bacchus was pronounced "back-us" since thats how I thought the name of the Roman God "Bacchus" is pronounced.

[quote name='lwtait' post='209991' date='May 31 2008, 08:53 AM']how do you pronouce the plural of ibanez?[/quote]
Like sheep: one Ibanez, many Ibanez.

Strictly speaking, you wouldn't pluralise it at all. You would say e.g. "three Ibanez basses", pluralising the specific "instantiations". Ibanez is a brand name, not a tangible "thing" that you can pluralise.

[quote name='bnt' post='210088' date='May 31 2008, 12:53 PM']Like sheep: one Ibanez, many Ibanez.

Strictly speaking, you wouldn't pluralise it at all. You would say e.g. "three Ibanez basses", pluralising the specific "instantiations". Ibanez is a brand name, not a tangible "thing" that you can pluralise.[/quote]

so are you saying you shouldnt say "ive got three fenders" it should be "ive got three fender basses"?

I know I posted this on the previous thread, but its worth mentioning again,

Larry Hartke says 'heart-key' on his voicemail.

Still haven't got to the bottom of Epifani yet. I sent a mail to the man himself, but didn't actually get a reply.

[quote name='lwtait' post='210136' date='May 31 2008, 02:49 PM']so are you saying you shouldnt say "ive got three fenders" it should be "ive got three fender basses"?[/quote]
You'd say "three Fender basses", using Fender with a capital F. (A "fender" is a car part!)

Sure, we know what you mean here on BC, and we can get away with slang, but if you're trying to communicate with someone outside BC, it will pay to be precise. A non-bassist might think you're talking about guitars. A non-musician would think you meant car parts, or just not get what you're trying to say. :)

[quote name='lee4' post='210126' date='May 31 2008, 02:34 PM']How about collective nouns?A thump of P-basses?A growl of Stingrays?[/quote]
A rumble of Thunderbirds? :)

(My all-time favourite collective noun: "a Wunch of Bankers".)

[quote name='bnt' post='210142' date='May 31 2008, 03:00 PM']You'd say "three Fender basses", using Fender with a capital F. (A "fender" is a car part!)

Sure, we know what you mean here on BC, and we can get away with slang, but if you're trying to communicate with someone outside BC, it will pay to be precise. A non-bassist might think you're talking about guitars. A non-musician would think you meant car parts, or just not get what you're trying to say. :huh:[/quote]

How can you say "Fender,with a capital 'F'"....."I've got 3 Fenders with capital 'F's" Like that,you mean? :) LOL.

[quote name='squire5' post='210171' date='May 31 2008, 04:44 PM']How can you say "Fender,with a capital 'F'"....."I've got 3 Fenders with capital 'F's" Like that,you mean? :) LOL.[/quote]
No, that's not what I said. Look at where I put the quotation marks. I don't know whether you're having a laugh here, but either way you're making a different kind of point about the importance of punctuation in clear communication. Get it wrong, and the meaning is distorted. :huh:

It's interesting.

I think we normally interpret foreign words according to our pronunciation of our alphabet, and change the word accordingly. Thus Paris becomes "Pa-riss."

However, I would pronounce a 'j' in a German word as a 'y': 'jagd' becomes "yahgd," (I think).

I have no idea how or why, or even if there is any rules. It probably just ends up with cultural acceptability, like most things.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='210967' date='Jun 2 2008, 10:19 AM']moog is a good one

iv always said mooooooooooooog, but its said moag or moge[/quote]
They even named a synth Moog Rogue, just to get the point across. :)

There was a similar thread on Talkbass too, [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-311554.html"]here[/url]. Any [i]Peh-Dool-La[/i] players here?