Why become a member? ×

Victor Bailey Jazz

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1366059121' post='2047957']
I'm probably in the wrong thread and will get bollocked, but hey ho.

I have an amazing 1978 Jazz, all original with plates and original case and tags. I've suddenly had the urge for a now discontinue Victor Bailey bass. Am I crazy? Anyone got one?
[/quote]
Do you mean that you are selling the 1978 Jazz to buy a VB?

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1366115134' post='2048444']
Maybe I'm going crazy? :blink:
[/quote]
The VB a lot different to a 78 Jazz isn't it? I have a 1974 Jazz and wouldn't part with it for a VB.

I might swap it for this.............. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

I used to have one but I didn't keep it...it lacked a bit of warmth imo..it had that sort of trebly thing going on which you find in active basses but takes the character away in your tone. I have a '77 jazz now and that's the real thing..I wouldn't get rid of your Fender..This is a clip of something which I recorded with the Bailey.. Controls were also fragile, didn't give me the impression that they were sturdy and the tuning pegs needed adjusting frequently. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urXChi_seWE&list=UU6TDVZgyRrcbQHRtTGW3I0g&index=4[/media]

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1366141556' post='2048953']
I'm sure that when i saw Weather Report in 1982/83 Victor Bailey was playing a plain old Fender Jazz Bass. So there you are, who needs a Victor Bailey signature model anyway? :)
[/quote]

Of course he was, but then that was 1982. Signature models weren't exactly all the rage then (though they soon would be). So Fender said to Victor: "hey, we'l make you a cool bass with your name on, and you'll do a few adverts. Are you happy with that?". Did you expect him to say no?

Mind you, no Victor Bailey thread would be complete without this awful video:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSnps-iIzQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSnps-iIzQ[/url]

Such a hokey song. No doubt meant as a heartfelt tribute to a hero of his, but it is dire.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1366147548' post='2049057']
Of course he was, but then that was 1982. Signature models weren't exactly all the rage then (though they soon would be). So Fender said to Victor: "hey, we'l make you a cool bass with your name on, and you'll do a few adverts. Are you happy with that?". Did you expect him to say no?
[/quote]
.....and there was i thinking that Fender put his name on the bass just because they liked the sound of it. Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1366147548' post='2049057']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSnps-iIzQ[/media]

Such a hokey song. No doubt meant as a heartfelt tribute to a hero of his, but it is dire.
[/quote]

I loved it, I thought it was really beautiful, such unfettered emotion and love for Jaco in that song "Do you know who he WAHAAAAHAAAAHHHHZZZZZ?!" Gorgeous.

• 1 year later...

I spent a long afternoon trying our a load of fender basses out in a shop in Brighton about 5 years back and this was the only one that felt and sounded like a bass i could spend my money on.
If in the future i need a fender bass sound I'll start by seeking out one of these.