Why become a member? ×

April/May Mix Competition - VOTING COMPLETE!

51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1368185212' post='2074158']
At this rate thats only a matter of time!
[/quote]

Well then you'll be able to write a song about it and be the Johnny Cash of Brighton. :D Don't forget to slip in a few mentions about Kentucky red-eye whiskey.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368197348' post='2074382']Oh! I'm messing around with Logic atm, and I found a meter limiter thingy. Don't know if it's the same as the K-meter, but if I set it at 0db, it will do the same job, surely?[/quote]

Hey Milty. What you're describing sounds like a limiter - a device that rigidly restricts ('limits') the volume of a track. Think of it like a brick wall... your track gets squished up against it, making the track louder but losing its dynamics as a consequence (the difference between quiet and loud bits).

A K-Meter is different. It doesn't limit the signal - it's simply a meter that measures the volume of a track in a consistent and comparable way. By using a K-Meter to adjust the volume of our mixes, it allows them to be compared equally - because they'll all be set to the same relative volume (louder tracks otherwise sound 'better' to our ears).

I'm not sure whether Logic includes a K-meter as standard. If not:

1. Download this plug-in and install it on your computer:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

2. In Logic, set up the plug-in on the Master Bus of your mix (the main output channel - where the 'Master' fader is located).

3. Open the plug-in. Beneath the main window (bottom-right) you'll find a little button marked DBFS with the word 'Metering' written alongside it. Click the button and select K-14 from the menu. The button will change to read 'K-14'.

4. Hit 'play' on your track and the green meter bars on the right-hand side of the plug-in window will start bopping up and down.

5. Now adjust the master volume of your mix until the green bars in the plug-in are peaking at 0db or just below (don't worry about the upper red bars - they're just put there to deliberately confuse things!).

6. Et voila! Your mix is now metered at K-14.

...if you get stuck just shout - no problem. And if you get really stuck then I'm sure Si wouldn't mind metering your mix for you. Or if he's busy I'd be happy to (my mix is already in).

PS: forgot to say that you'll need the Audio Unit (AU) version of the plug-in... The VST version won't run in Logic.

PPS: your K-metered mix will sound quiet. Don't worry about it. It'll be just as quiet as everyone else's :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1368231847' post='2074846']
^ Ah ok, gotcha ;) In which case this video will help:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9hpM1o7scI[/media]
[/quote]

Sorry, I think I was on my way to bed when I saw this. Thanks for helping, Paul, I really appreciate it :) I'm such a n00b, it should be criminal. :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1368461836' post='2077360']
No worries Milty, happy to help!

As Confucius said, "we're all noobs on the path to attaining enlightenment..." :D
[/quote]

Ha! :D

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1368481824' post='2077687']
Getting very close now.....
[/quote]

I'll have mine in tomorrow at some stage :)

Hi,

Is there any reason why the k-meter would be showing at near 0 on the 'mix' session but only -16 on the rendered wav? both sessions sound approximately the same volume.

Also, just to double check it is the green meters were intrested in for this, not the floating white/red bars?

[quote name='TenLetters' timestamp='1368554331' post='2078515']Is there any reason why the k-meter would be showing at near 0 on the 'mix' session but only -16 on the rendered wav? both sessions sound approximately the same volume.

Also, just to double check it is the green meters were intrested in for this, not the floating white/red bars?[/quote]

I can't help with the first question... but regards the second one yep, it's a case of using the green meter bars and not the floating red bars above :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368605133' post='2078989']There's still time, isn't there? Is slept all day yesterday... so, yeah :D[/quote]

Go for it! I'm sure Si and others won't mind.

Latecomers get less time/opportunity to score votes, so it's a kind of self-imposed handicap if you're late to the party - ie. the free food and drink has gone, the toilet is in a mess and it won't be long until the police show up. That kind of thing ;)

[quote name='TenLetters' timestamp='1368554331' post='2078515']
Hi,

Is there any reason why the k-meter would be showing at near 0 on the 'mix' session but only -16 on the rendered wav? both sessions sound approximately the same volume.

Also, just to double check it is the green meters were intrested in for this, not the floating white/red bars?
[/quote]

The K14-meter effectively recalibrates 0db to -14db (this is over simplified explanation) so although @ 0db on K14-meter it is -14db on a 'normal' metering

and yes, green meters

Sorry this is taking soooo long, but Soundcloud is being an unadulterated pile of horse 5h1t and will not upload all the tracks properly. No idea why, there is nothing wrong with them at ll.

Been trying all day and getting nowhere with the two that it has taken a dislike to.

Doing my head in so it is (grrrr)....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1368626740' post='2079399']
Sorry this is taking soooo long, but Soundcloud is being an unadulterated pile of horse 5h1t and will not upload all the tracks properly. No idea why, there is nothing wrong with them at ll.

Been trying all day and getting nowhere with the two that it has taken a dislike to.

Doing my head in so it is (grrrr)....
[/quote]

Don't we upload them ourselves to sound cloud?

Nearly all ready for the big reveal.

Some interesting takes on this one I think chaps. Good stuff!

Clearly still some confusion over the K Meter idea, most people have got their levels really close, but there is one really loud pumpy one, and one rather quiet one. Never mind though most of them are very close. Well done everyone who has had a go, really impressed with the effort and turnout this month (6 weeks) :D

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1368613435' post='2079122']
The K14-meter effectively recalibrates 0db to -14db (this is over simplified explanation) so although @ 0db on K14-meter it is -14db on a 'normal' metering

and yes, green meters
[/quote]

Thanks Twig. I actually have K-meter on the rendered WAV and its showing as lower than on the mix project so im not sure whats up but going to put it in anway if there is still time?

Not had long to spend on this so it wont be 'interesting' as Si seems to be hinting that some are!

Edited by TenLetters

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1368629413' post='2079452']
Nearly all ready for the big reveal.

Some interesting takes on this one I think chaps. Good stuff!

Clearly still some confusion over the K Meter idea, most people have got their levels really close, but there is one really loud pumpy one, and one rather quiet one. Never mind though most of them are very close. Well done everyone who has had a go, really impressed with the effort and turnout this month (6 weeks) :D
[/quote]

Hopefully I'm not one of those... (obviously you can't say though). :D

Thanks Simon for running the competition! It's been fun (Apart from that whole K-meter business :( )

I've managed to get mine's uploaded (I finished it a couple of days ago).

I've used all the instrument tracks given (though I was liking what I did with it most with just drums, bass, acoustic guitars & the other guitar & vocals).