Why become a member? ×

Buckeye Lightweight 5 String Build

Rumple

Bridge and tuners arrived today, I didn't realise black Hipshot bridges are matte not shiny :(

Pick-ups will be finished today and Allan will send them out on Tuesday, I'll take some pics once they arrive.

Pups arrived today from Allan at Catswhisker Pickups, they look great so I thought I'm take a quick snap of them along with some of the other hardware, a Gotoh tuner and the Hipshot bridge.

[attachment=135772:Parts.jpg]

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1369823698' post='2093031']
Pups arrived today from Allan at Catswhisker Pickups, they look great so I thought I'm take a quick snap of them along with some of the other hardware, a Gotoh tuner and the Hipshot bridge.

[attachment=135772:Parts.jpg]
[/quote]

Hey :)

I'm really glad you went with Allan in the end.

He does a fantastic job and is very reasonably priced too!

Pic looks great!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I'm very excited by the build, I'm so glad Dave managed to cut the control cavity so the same wood could be used for the cover it will mean the back will be pretty special looking to.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1370882898' post='2106852']
That is looking fantastic :D Loving the back just as much as the front!
[/quote]
[quote name='owen' timestamp='1370883794' post='2106867']
I love the back even more than the front. It is just a slab of open and honest wood. It is lush beyond.

Don't misunderstand, the front is very nice.
[/quote]

It is a very nice piece of timber, almost a shame to be covering it up on the front.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1371047011' post='2109061']
It is a very nice piece of timber, almost a shame to be covering it up on the front.
[/quote]

I saw a quote of yours from 2011 and it said I'm not too fond of Buckeye Burl :P Made me chuckle!

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1371049037' post='2109108']
I saw a quote of yours from 2011 and it said I'm not too fond of Buckeye Burl :P Made me chuckle!
[/quote]

Busted :lol: - I'm so fickle! I also avoid red things like the plague but now have and love a Fiesta Red Jazz Bass.

In my defence does it not go on to say I like the burl on a particular Roscoe though?

It's this that changed my mind.

[attachment=136746:SKBBEtop.jpg]

[quote name='RichValentine' timestamp='1371055710' post='2109261']
Bass is looking lovely. Really nice light top, I imagine you cant wait for it to be finished!
[/quote]

Yes and no, I do enjoy the whole process of going from the seed of an idea to a finished bass so I'm not in a busting rush for the experience to be over although I'm very excited about finally getting to play the beast.

Dave has done really well and the build has come on in leaps and bounds recently but progress will appear to slow down now while he finesses the body and also holds down a day job :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've updated this thread and as Dave has made a lot of progress recently and supplied some new pictures yesterday I thought it time to rectify that.

I think it's looking really nice and the additional good news is it's only 7lbs 2oz without the tuners, knobs, frets and finish so it's going to be sub 8lbs for sure when it's finished, hopefully with the small headstock and lightweight tuners it will balance nicely as well.

Since the pictures were taken the dots have been added to the the neck and Dave is going to be putting the frets in this week.

[attachment=140184:DSC05744.JPG] [attachment=140185:DSC05745.JPG]

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1375183118' post='2157659']
That looks wonderful!
[/quote]
[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1375186129' post='2157747']
+1 on that ...love the woods and the shape, nice touch on the FB too.. :)
[/quote]

Thank you, Dave is doing an absolutely fantastic job of bringing my ideas to life.

Dave popped in this morning on his way to Poole!

He had my bass with him, it's now been fretted and the dots added to the side and front of the neck, it's really starting to come together and although it wasn't set up as such it was playable and felt great, it's about 8lbs now but that's without any knobs or electrics so will edge over that with varnish as well.

I'm still planning on keeping the bass passive to start with and the diagram below is the way I'm thinking of going, there are probably better ways of doing it but I think this will work well for me.