Why become a member? ×

Which replacement neck?

badboy1984

My P bass currently is using a rosewood P bass neck. Altho it got a fender decal on but is not a fender so i treat it like part bass instead. I love the bass and it sounded good but I would prefer a maple neck bass instead. After searching on ebay i found the following:

1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-P-Bass-Neck-Maple-Fingerboard-Satin-finish-Vitage-Color-free-shipping-/221077232821?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item33793adcb5

2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jazz-bass-maple-neck-20-frets-black-dots-nitro-finish-top-quality-brand-new-/121057369867?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c2f94df0b

3) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330901797864&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Not sure which is trust worthy actually.

Hiya, I am no expert but can certainly share my own recent experience.

I bought a fretless neck from eyguitars (the first seller). Neck turned up a few weeks later. Overall, no problems fitting it to bass although the machine head holes were a bit tight and took a bit of work to be able to fit machine heads. The neck itself was slightly longer than original Squier neck and the side markers (remember fretless) were in the wrong place (assuming markings matched for fretted) but I have since re-marked them. So a few little issues but all sorted with a bit of work and for the price I'm happy. The neck plays fine and looks great.

Having seen the second seller's auctions when I was looking, I'm fairly confident that these are the same necks as first seller (possibly bought from Hong Kong by Dutch seller) but of course with extra postage costs hence why I went with buying the neck direct myself.

I did contact the third seller at the time but he had no fretless necks so that ended that avenue for me.

Hope my experience helps a little.

I have the maple MM Jazz neck fitted onto my P.Bass and it is gorgeous - nice snug fit, feels really nice to play - as nice as a nice Fender neck. Be aware that the vintage tint arrives looking like turmeric - it is VERY yellow and, to these old eyes, looks nothing like a warm pale caramel aged tint.

Damn the might mite neck is sold and no more available =.=

The next line down i was looking at was this one:

http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/Maple-Precision-Bass-Guitar-Neck/dp/B0013NDVAY?field_availability=-1&field_browse=1592972031&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Maple+Precision+Bass+Guitar+Neck&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=color_map%2Cbrandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=1592972031&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

What are the quality like on these necks? The price seems pretty cheap and by looking at the photo is pretty nice looking neck. Remind me of my old stingray 1 piece maple neck in natural finish i used to own.

Since i can't get the mighty mite in vintage gloss i went for the first seller and got this neck instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-Bass-neck-Vitage-Color-Gloss-Finish-Maple-Fingerboard-free-shipping-20F-/221149976082?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item337d90d612

I prefer jazz neck on my precision bass but the might mite one have the fender jazz decal on but i prefer not to have any decal and be proud of no logo lol.

I hope the neck is alright in terms of quality. Will keep you all updated when it arrive and fitted onto my bass. Mostly likely will get my guitar tech friend to install the neck for me and do any minor work if needed.

I like my precision bass because is simple and I'm getting very lazy these days now but i like the neck on my jazz bass alot. So thats why i bought the jazz neck to fit onto the precision lol.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365295424' post='2037837']
Mighty Mite replacement necks (third seller) are second only to, er... Allparts.
They're licensed by Fender too, so you need feel no 'decal guilt'.
[/quote]

I had a MM fretless neck on a Precision Special, it had a composite board and it was fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best photo but here they are, straight out from the package. Neck feels good and no rough edges on the side as well. Fret seems ok but not sure till is fitted and play. The headstock is not 100% like the fender but i'm ok with that since this is a project bass to suit my taste and the shape of the headstock does not bother me.

Edited by badboy1984