Why become a member? ×

Best value for money Studio Monitors

cheddatom

I dont like bookshelf monitors for anything other than really accurate mids, so if they dotn deliver in the mids they are utter gash IMO.

I have an old pait of Rogers for really dialing into a mix's mid range area, they dont do much below 80Hz, but above therethey are really accurate to my ear, and if I can get a mix to 'pop' on those I'm doing pretty well.

In truth I can do as well on cans (Studiospares H1000 - excellent value for money, highly recommended) with plenty of reference to the laptops internal speakers (in mono usuallly) for the much over emphasised reference to a really awful system.

No mix is complete without it being tweaked on the big old RTLs though, and thats because they are pretty flat down to 25Hz, and I know them really well, they arent officially studio monitors by any means, but to my ear they are flat 'enough' have great midrange definition and a yweeter that will show up anything nasty in the top couple of octaves, and most importantly I know them very well....

Why the long rambling post? Because if you dont really know your monitoring situation inside out it is all irrelevant IME, you can have great monitors in an average room and not have a clue how your mix will translate, so spend hours and hours really critically listening to CDs and commercial releases on whatever monitors you have, learn what is good sound [i]in your listening/mixing environment[/i], refer back to these tracks when mixing and you will be doing pretty much all you can outside of a commercially designed and contructed studio.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1365150601' post='2035876']
Because if you dont really know your monitoring situation inside out it is all irrelevant IME, you can have great monitors in an average room and not have a clue how your mix will translate, so spend hours and hours really critically listening to CDs and commercial releases on whatever monitors you have, learn what is good sound [i]in your listening/mixing environment[/i], refer back to these tracks when mixing and you will be doing pretty much all you can outside of a commercially designed and contructed studio.
[/quote]

Pretty much in a nutshell, and good advice.

Garry

[size=4][quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1365150601' post='2035876']
I have an old pair of Rogers for really dialling into a mix's mid range area, they dont do much below 80Hz, but above therethey are really accurate to my ear, and if I can get a mix to 'pop' on those I'm doing pretty well.
[/quote]

The analogue studio we did our recent recordings in had a lovely old pair of BBC LS5 and another of Rogers LS3/5A, and they didn't sound fantastic to me - great news apparently, as this meant they were reproducing the sound of the band is it was and not how the monitor manufacturer thought we wanted it to be! :D We're very pleased indeed with the mixes, so there it is.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1365150601' post='2035876']...if you dont really know your monitoring situation inside out it is all irrelevant IME, you can have great monitors in an average room and not have a clue how your mix will translate, so spend hours and hours really critically listening to CDs and commercial releases on whatever monitors you have, learn what is good sound [i]in your listening/mixing environment[/i], refer back to these tracks when mixing and you will be doing pretty much all you can outside of a commercially designed and contructed studio.
[/quote]

Another BIG +1 to this! :)[/size]

Edited by discreet

the Rogers look to me out of my league!

Well I have done extensive listening in my current room with that set up, and I'm happy with how my mixes translate these days...

when I move to my new room, maybe I should just take my current system, get used to the room, and then see if I still fancy new monitors

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1365150601' post='2035876']
Because if you dont really know your monitoring situation inside out it is all irrelevant IME, you can have great monitors in an average room and not have a clue how your mix will translate, so spend hours and hours really critically listening to CDs and commercial releases on whatever monitors you have, learn what is good sound [i]in your listening/mixing environment[/i], refer back to these tracks when mixing and you will be doing pretty much all you can outside of a commercially designed and contructed studio.
[/quote]
another +1 from me great advice
Equator have been around for years doing more high end stuff which is used widely in film, which i assume is why they reproduce the vocal range so well.

• 3 months later...

Yams are a good shout, as are Adams; personally I'm using a pair of HHB Circle 5s that would have been about a grand and a half new, got 'em secondhand for less than two hundred quid and they're amazing - definitely mooch around eBay/Gumtree before you pull the trigger on new.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1373628405' post='2139814']
Yams are a good shout, as are Adams; personally I'm using a pair of HHB Circle 5s that would have been about a grand and a half new, got 'em secondhand for less than two hundred quid and they're amazing - definitely mooch around eBay/Gumtree before you pull the trigger on new.
[/quote]

Love the Harbeth HHB Circle 5s, great sounding, and, well, soooo purple ;)