Why become a member? ×

Advice please!

In my opinion, mostly snake oil. More expensive pots ought to be able to withstand more twiddling over time and maybe feel a bit smoother in their operation. The tolerance of the more expensive pots ought to be smaller than cheaper ones, which simply means it's more likely that a 500k pot is closer to 500k actual value. Other than that, I don't buy that using a paper in oil capacitor of the same value over a, say, polyester one is going to unleash some mythical tone beast that was lying dormant inside your bass. Also bear in mind that when your tone control is at 10, the cap is (pretty much) out of the picture anyway.

Pretty much as above really. Although I always have CTS posts and orange-drop capacitors put in my basses, it`s more to do with keeping them all having the same insides and my ocd than anything my ears pickup. Plus, they are reliable parts, so I`m less inclined to have cause for concern that my bass may develop an issue.

Nicer components are nicer components...and well made kit is well made.
You wont hear it though.

I think it would be better if your amp was better made. I think you would likely see the benefit of that over a period of time..but if nothing goes wrong, it is like insurance..you ask what price the premium..!!

Replacing the pots/caps with good quality ones is so cheap that its worth doing, but I'd probably only bother if I was also replacing the pickups and output jack at the same time.

For capacitors, don't buy into the ridiculous snake oil. Orange Drops are more than good enough and they're only a couple of quid.

Where is the weakest link in your signal chain? It's probably not the pots.

What will benefit the most from throwing cash at it? Most mods aren't great value.

I'd start with new strings and a set up and then an outboard preamp.