Why become a member? ×

Orange TB500C thoughts?

Valhalalf

Afternoon B'chatters

After appologising for hijacking another thread regarding lightweight bass combos to avoid multiple posts regarding the topic and being 'advised' to start my own I thought I would :P

*[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1364840770' post='2031581'] Pssst! Make your own thread, and you won't. :) best, bert [/quote]

Anyway here's my deal. I have a Hartke LH500 and 2x GK Neo 112 cabs, already pretty lightweight and managable to begin with, but with my current residantial setup I'm after a loud, lightweight combo that only requires one trip to the car. After a lot of looking about and checking out the GK, Mark Bass, Ampeg, TC combos I'm really taken by the design and potential of the Orange TB500C combo.

My band plays everything, from tiny pokey pubs to huge wedding venues and Holiday park stages. For the bigger weddings and holiday parks there is a bit of PA support for DI-ing but would love something that could handle it's own if it was required.

Has anyone had any experience of using the combo? I know there are a lot of people who use the TB500 head and really like it but I'm really very interested in how it all performs as a combo. I know I could buy the head and a sp212 cab seperately but that is a more expensive option and defeats the 'one trip' solution (I know I could use two hands but I have other things to carry).

Any help/experience/advice from orange owners etc would be most appreciated.

Alf

[size=2]*BTW I take that quote in the light hearted way it was intended [/size] ;)

I like the bass terror heads but I have never been impressed with the 'one speaker behind the other' Orange cab designs. It will probably do the job fine but I would be more inclined to use the head with a separate 2x10, 1x15 or 2x12. The head is so small you could probably fit it in a rucksack and just throw it the bag over your back when carrying the cab, which still makes it one trip to the car, albeit a slightly more cumbersome one!

I have heard bad reports on the terror combos, lack of volume being the common complaint. I use a terror head with 2 1x12's and I have so much volume/headroom it's unreal. I'd ne happy to gig with a single 1x12, so I'd say get the head and a cab.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1364937787' post='2033128']
The SP cabs only have the max output of a half the speakers you are paying for, so pretty much disregard them. Tried a latest generation Bass terror 500 and they seem to have sorted the headroom thing.
[/quote]

Ah yes but in the overiding scheme of things SWMBO thinks the combo is pretty well......pretty :lol: , this means that I wont get the grief of having a rig set-up or my old fender b25 in the house .
But I am a bit loathed to fork out on that basis alone , I realise the isobarik is not efficient, but somehow I have to work out if it is efficient enough.

It's always going to be a minimum of 2 trips otherwise you'd forget your guitar. My routine on arriving at venue is, trip 1 with cab of choice or both (15" and/or 410), trip 2 for my guitar with the Orange head over my shoulder in the man/handbag.

As for volume, I have ashdown cabs and with either it is amazing ( trouser shaking, chest thumping), very deep and rich but plenty of high if that's your thing on the eq; with both cabs it would cope with a stadium.

Top gigging tip: when packing up always leave the big cab unsupervised and lock the guitar and head up in car first, unless of course you are hanging around post gig, in which case keep them with you as they are very "walk off-able"

Edited by chapsimon

I played an open air festival yesterday with my Orange terror and sp212 cab,plenty loud.
I was DI out the amp-no problem with DI,the DI has been sorted on the newer ones and the on /off gain as well.
The sound through the PA was incredible-singing is the closest I can describe it.
I played a gig last night as well and left everything the same without PA support this time and just bludgeoned it,s way through the mix.
That,s what I love about this set up,it doesn,t cut through,just muscles it,s way through or it could be the frequencies plug all the gaps.
Forgetting all the physics and theory about SPL,s and R2D2,s,3CPO,s-it works where it counts-on the stage