Why become a member? ×

FS Hohner the Jack headless bass - *See update. now £150...SOLD.
£180

Dogz73

For sale is my active Hohner "the Jack" headless bass in reasonable condition.

A few dinks on the bottom and the pots are a bit crackly, but a great bass with a good tone.

Just restrung.

*Just rechecked and it doesn't seem to work in active mode. I havent got the time or interest to look into this so I'm letting go for £150. Still sounds great in passive mode and an ideal fixer for someone who knows what they're doing.

Cheers

Edited by Dogz73

Probably a dirty selector switch. I had a B Bass, which is one of these with a headstock, that had a flaky switch. I got the switch removed from the body and gave it a good squirt of switch cleaner and that sorted it.

Another vote for a great sounding, well made bass.

Having owned several Hohner Jack basses - & still own an original passive one - which is fab :gas:!! I can not praise these workhorses highly enough!! However, having also owned several Status basses & now being lucky enough to own a Washburn Status S1000 - in my very humble opinion, apart from them both being headless & both having through necks - in every other respect they are like chalk & cheese - i.e. Status pickups, Status active circuitry & the Status phenolic(?) fingerboard alone justify the extra cost of the S1000, plus being a 'low action' freak - I thought I'd got the action on my Hohner as low as I thought was possible on any bass - but I've managed to get the action on the S1000 'even lower'!!

However, please forgive my ramblings - this Hohner Jack is an absolute bargain at this price - so don't hesitate - just get it bought, you will not be disappointed & even if you were, you will always get your money back!!

Good luck with the sale, but I'm sure you need it - type burmp :D!!

ps - try rubbing the battery compartment copper contacts with a bit of emery cloth - worked on one of mine where the active circuity wasn't working!!

pps - I think this finish was very popular a couple of years ago due to the Guy out of Muse using one before he started using Status basses & friend of a friend sold his for £325 on that t'bay!!!

Edited by dodgnofski

Thanks for the advise.

Just rubbed down the contacts and the active light now comes on but still no sound in active !!

Also cracked the corner of the battery lid when doing it and then stuck my finger together with superglu during the repair & was almost on my way to A&E. :o

Thats why I leave these things alone.

Looks like an easy repair so probably still a bargain for someone at £150.

oops sorry :(!! - but if the light now comes on - you must be heading in the right direction? have you taken the control back plate of to see if any of the wires have become detached? - 'carefully' of course! Don't worry about the battery cover - they are a well known weak spot on the active Jack basses & more are broken - than intact.

If you can't see any loose contacts - a good squirt with switch cleaner in both cavities has worked wonders for me in the past.

Good luck with the sale - if of course it hasn't sold yet, as at that price - it should have gone days ago!!!! - come on Guys I'd have had this myself if I didn't already own one!!!!!

ps - a coupe of years ago I asked several guitar bulders for a quote for a lightweight, headless, thru neck bass, the average quote was around £1600 - albeit with more exotic woods, hardware & electronics etc & although I'm sure they would be superior in every respect to the Hohner - that was way out of my price bracket!!!

Edited by dodgnofski