Why become a member? ×

Frustrated with setup - Sorted thanks!

MarkG3

The holes, the top right one is the biggest by far and it's easy to see how the screws aren't doing their job.

[IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/74C4413A-E954-4436-B0E3-BE3D926EF563-6510-000007B0D88B8BE8_zps2f35a71e.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='OBT1000_S12' timestamp='1364890838' post='2032130']
Excellent thanks Gary I may well take you up on that, I'm going to give it a go first today but if I don't get anywhere I will let you know, I'm sure it could do with a decent setup anyway after all of this.

When are you free to have a look at it?
[/quote]

I'm home most days. Just pm me and we can make arrangements.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1364903375' post='2032330']
You could try something like these.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-set-Guitar-Bass-Neck-Joint-System-INSERT-SCREW-i-/390343756347?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ae24d0a3b"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ae24d0a3b[/url]
[/quote]

Both the bolt on Gibsons I've had (Victory, G-3) have had this fitted as standard and the RD Artist has these sort of things for the battery compartment screws. Threaded inserts are nice, especially for situations where frequent removal and replacement are required.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1364903375' post='2032330']
You could try something like these.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-set-Guitar-Bass-Neck-Joint-System-INSERT-SCREW-i-/390343756347?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ae24d0a3b"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ae24d0a3b[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks I'm going to get Gary to have a look at it and he has said he can sort it out so I'm 100% sure he will do a better job than me

So had a trip down to Gary who sorted out the holes for me so thank you very much again!

Unfortunately sorting this problem caused another problem, the neck sticks out towards the strings 2-4mm more than the stock neck so even with all the string saddles on max all the strings were getting choked so no notes could be played.

Really frustrating and even without the shim it was still basically unplayable.

I even tried taking the BadAss off and swapped with a standard Fender bridge but no real difference.

I am taking it to a luthier tomorrow for some of the neck heel to be shaved off so it is the same size as the stock neck then a setup so fingers crossed this time tomorrow it'll all be sorted and playable.

Really frustrating that its currently unplayable but thank you to Gary for sorting out the holes and doing a good job at trying to fix everything!

Edited by OBT1000_S12

Mark, I'm guessing you probably know this but just thought I would mention it anyway. Having the neck altered will possibly affect it's value as a vintage item. Probably not an issue if you plan to keep it but worth thinking about if you were planning on selling it on at some point.
Maybe the tech/luthier could advise you further or maybe rout out the neck pocket.

Anyway good luck, hope it gets sorted for you.

Thanks Gary yea I have thought of that, the bass is with the luthier at the moment and we matched up the necks and they appear to be the same thickness so he doesn't think we need to do any shaving off the neck which is good however he is stumped as to why it's doing what it is doing but is going to take a look at it in the next few days.

So I am waiting to hear back what he thinks and I really hate waiting :blink:[size=4] makes me think I shouldn't of bothered in the first place but lets hope its fixable[/size]

Edited by OBT1000_S12

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1365061987' post='2034614']
Mark, I'm guessing you probably know this but just thought I would mention it anyway. Having the neck altered will possibly affect it's value as a vintage item. Probably not an issue if you plan to keep it but worth thinking about if you were planning on selling it on at some point.
Maybe the tech/luthier could advise you further or maybe rout out the neck pocket.

Anyway good luck, hope it gets sorted for you.
[/quote]

I would have thought that the state of the screw holes and the fact that there are two that shouldn't be there would have already devalued the neck as a vintage item.

Well had a surprise call from the luthier and its all done, no shaving was needed.

Basically some of the wood in the pocket wasn't flat and some of the paint from the refinish was in the way so just needed a light sanding around the pocket.

All properly set up and ready to roll, very happy it's all sorted and thanks to everyone for their help and input