Why become a member? ×

Bloody beginners left hand fingers

The Hat

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1364306368' post='2024574']
Thanks for all the advice peeps, much appreciated. My Bass Collection is now in for a set up and different strings so will stick with it when she's back
[/quote]

NOOOoooo!!!!! :shok: You can set up your bass yourself. You'll save loads of cash and not have the wait. Also, worst set-up I ever had was a "Pro set-up".

There is loads of info online to tell you how to do this. Try Youtube as a start:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdhCeD9R5qM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdhCeD9R5qM[/url]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1364295474' post='2024374']
Play your exercises (and even songs..!) on the part of the neck you're happy with, and gradually move down (or is that 'up'..?). You'll find it to be easier over time (perhaps one fret down every couple of weeks or so..?). Don't strain yourself to play where it's too uncomfortable (ever..?). Patience; it's the first 40 years or so that are the worst, after which things get (slightly...) better.
Hope this helps; subject to correction and contradiction from others...
[/quote]

sounds good to me you would also be playing your stuff on different parts of the neck as you progress so fretboard knowledge should come at the same time

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1364320411' post='2024863']
OK, so that's not actually a stretch from F to A.
[/quote]
Jeez! 1st finger playing F with a stretch to A with the pinky ending on a slide (down), I also play some tunes in a simliar vein on the B string where I am using the tone of the fretted E rather than an open E string but in the tune I am thinking of the stretch is only from the C#, still a reasonable distance on a 5er :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1364297724' post='2024438']
Don't just anchor your left thumb and stretch from there.

Of course you need to cover the maximum distance with the spread of your left fingers and a lot of practice is needed to achieve that, but you should also be moving your thumb/hand to cover the ground and get your fingers into the right place.

A static left hand is not good. Your left hand should float up and down and across the neck.

Watch Fracis Rocco Prestia and Esperanza Spalding, when she's playing her Jazz. It might not be your style of music but they play fantastic bass parts and don't stretch at all.
[/quote]

Everything I was going to say...([i]in unison[/i]... "of course you were..")

If you get a squash ball, place it between your thumb and fingers and squeeze, do that for 5 reps, as if you were in the gym doing weights and then change finger and work your way through that a few times, you'll be surprised at how much stronger your fingers will get and the quicker you can do it the better as well for agility on the fret board.

Also adjust your strap so that when you are playing stood up your left wrist isn't bent too much as you'll cause some problems with RSI and the like. As with anything make it comfortable for you and just practice and practice and practice! A good exercise I do/came up with is running up the neck on the G string i.e; 1st finger 1st fret up to the 4 fret, then jump 4th finger 4th fret on the A and proceed down, then 1st finger 1st fret D and up the neck, 4th finger 4th fret on the E and down the neck, try and make it OFPF if you can't then just do it till you can, do that a few times in your warm up and you'll soon have the hang of it! :)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1364340057' post='2025261']
If you get a squash ball, place it between your thumb and fingers and squeeze, do that for 5 reps, as if you were in the gym doing weights and then change finger and work your way through that a few times, you'll be surprised at how much stronger your fingers will get and the quicker you can do it the better as well for agility on the fret board.

Also adjust your strap so that when you are playing stood up your left wrist isn't bent too much as you'll cause some problems with RSI and the like. As with anything make it comfortable for you and just practice and practice and practice! A good exercise I do/came up with is running up the neck on the G string i.e; 1st finger 1st fret up to the 4 fret, then jump 4th finger 4th fret on the A and proceed down, then 1st finger 1st fret D and up the neck, 4th finger 4th fret on the E and down the neck, try and make it OFPF if you can't then just do it till you can, do that a few times in your warm up and you'll soon have the hang of it! :)
[/quote]
~+1 This. You can also buy a finger strengther aimed at climbers I think which will help. I've flirted with tennis elbow (that's where it hurts on the o/s of the elbow) which I'm pretty sure was caused by going hard a a finger per fret with the guitar slung too low. I guess the answer is to keep the position comfortable and stretch gradually.

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1364392922' post='2025808']
~+1 This. You can also buy a finger strengther aimed at climbers I think which will help.
[/quote]

Sorry, but I disagree here.
Finger strengthening gadgets, are not necessary IMO. A minimal amount of strength is required to fret a string. This strength is in us all from a very young age. Stamina and dexterity are what's required and these are completely different from strength.

Here is what Gary Willis has to say on finger strength.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHEqQzbGAc[/media]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1364398942' post='2025949']
Sorry, but I disagree here.
Finger strengthening gadgets, are not necessary IMO. A minimal amount of strength is required to fret a string. This strength is in us all from a very young age. Stamina and dexterity are what's required and these are completely different from strength.
[/quote]
I agree, no need for finger strengthening gadgets, that's just another RSI waiting to happen.

If you need to strengthen fingers then play bass, that's the practice that's needed not some other irrelevant practice.

I'm going to echo what people have said about patience. I started playing around a year ago - from scratch, not from guitar - and it took me a good few months to play a minor scale at the nut end of the neck OFPF. You probably already have the finger independence thing from guitar, so you've already got a headstart. Just take it easy and practice scales and exercises where it's comfortable, say, below the 5th fret, and then work back from there. I'll also add it can be useful to find yourself a good instructor for at least a few lessons to advise you on technique - it's saved me no end of time.

Little and often's the thing. If you start to feel strain, make a cup of tea and come back to it. It's easy to overdo it and get sore (been there!). Once your fingers have become used to the stretch then you'll be able to relax and you won't feel like you're throttling a chicken every time you attempt an arpeggio. That's how it's gone with me anyhoo. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Get a shorter scale bass? :)

I have all sorts of issues here, as I have the last third of my index finger missing, and really small hands to start with.
Avoiding the question about why I took up bass the fact is nearly anyone can do it.
I can play scales anywhere, although around the first threat I do move my thumb pivot point quite a bit, as threat using the side of my index as the bone like tip isn't possible.
So it is possible, but much easier on a 32 inch neck.

As for finger stretchers/strengtheners. Really, don't.

Years ago, when I took up the bass, I remember the my fingers aching and feeling stretched, this hardly ever happens now. This is a combination of using less pressure, stronger muscle memory and a REALLY loud amp, which does the work for me.