Why become a member? ×

Wizard 64s!

JamesXP

Looking for some proper feedback I've done a good search but most posts are pretty brief in their descriptions and experiences!

I'm looking to get some replacement pickups for my squier jazz and I've seen the Wizard pickups range..

anyway I play classic rock and I was thinking about getting the sixty fours.. so basically I'm looking for your opinion on them... and even more specifically how much more did you like them compared to what you replaced them with?

Thanks!

I've got them on my cij fender 75 reissue.

I was sceptical initially, for the same reasons as yourself, there is little information about the 64's online, and I was concerned that at the very reasonable price they may be more of a sideways step; simply because my bass already sounded great, I couldn't have been happier with the sound.
Infact it was an unfortunate failure of one of the standard US Fender units I had fitted that started me reluctantly searching for replacements.

I'd had incredible results previously with a bespoke set of wizard jazz replacements; the fantastically meaty, humbucking Wizard 'gaffers' (sadly no longer available') So when a set of 64's came up at a price I couldn't resist, well, I couldn't resist!
Luckily for me it was a good call.

Compared to the originals the tone has more overall 'character', less of a dry, generic jazz bass voice and is more steeped in tonal and harmonic complexity; its a deeper, more expressive sound with a more tangible, authoritative '3d' edge to it.

The bottom is warmer with a pleasing mid punch, which retains a musical quality rather than a peaky bark.
The top end is solid and present, yet maintains a sense of body with no unpleasant 'spikyness' or 'glassiness'.
The bridge pickup in particular has been a great improvement, it seems to carry a little more volume and weight now, giving more depth and authority to the classic jazz bass bridge biased 'burble'.

The wizard 64's have a healthy output without being overly 'hot'. I find they respond well to height changes and varying dynamics, changes in playing style and touch are handled deftly with no undue noise or unwanted creaks, pops or handling noise. There is no hint of microphony and the pickups are very quiet in operation, although my bass does have extra shielding, which is always worth considering on a passive jazz.
As a purchase the wizards inspire confidence, arriving nicely presented with cloth wrapped wiring and the model number inked by hand in marker pen, this gives a feeling that you've parted with your hard earned to a company that really does put care and attention into each and every pickup that leaves the building.
The casings look the part too, with their smooth edges giving a subtle clue to only the most trained eye that something non-standard is 'under the hood'
All in all the Wizards are a great improvement which has sweetened the tone of my jazz and added girth and authority without sounding overblown or scooped.
But remember, everyone's ears and rig are different and pickup changes often tend to be perceptible only to the player, but to play your best you need to feel confident in your tone, give them a whirl and see what you think, if they aren't for you you'll be able to sell them on here in no time :)
Hope that helps.

Edited by gafbass02

A few years back, I replaced the seymour duncan pups in my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz with 64's.

Money well spent and a very worthwhile upgrade.

Actually the Seymour Duncans were a decent enough pup, although I just felt that the Wizards had a bit more to say for themselves and allowed me to be heard more clearly in the band that I was involved with at the time (five guitars and keys). :blink:

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1364282364' post='2024164']
A few years back, I replaced the seymour duncan pups in my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz with 64's.

Money well spent and a very worthwhile upgrade.

Actually the Seymour Duncans were a decent enough pup, although I just felt that the Wizards had a bit more to say for themselves and allowed me to be heard more clearly in the band that I was involved with at the time (five guitars and keys). :blink:
[/quote]
Five guitars? Bloody hell fire lol.

And yeah, nice bit of wordsmith-ing from Gafbass

I seem to be one of the few that did not really like the 64's. I bought a pairt to compare to a pair of Fralins in a CIJ 70's RI Jazz I had. The Wizard's seemed to be rather mid-scooped to my tastes, and extended in the lows. THe Fralin's sat very noticeably better in a band mix for me. In particular I did not like the neck 64, which sounded woolly and simply rather flabby in the bass I put it in.
Probably just a case of a poor match of pickup to the bass and rest of my rig (and of course, to my tonal aims).

In 2012 I experimented with fitting a few pickups; dimarzio model Js, wizard 64s, Fender Mex Standard into my bass. Of all of them the 64s sounded most specifically Jazz Bass like. They made my Japanese Squier growl like an early 60s Jazz Bass and I liked them a lot. ultimately, I ended up going back to the original Squier pickups because they had a bit more bottom end. But if I ever bought another Jazz I'd have no problem fitting it with a set of 64s as they are very classy sounding pickups for not a lot of cash.

+1 on gafbas02's review.

I have them in my Fender AVRI '62 - well I had them made custom with raised pole pieces to accommodate the 7.25" radius better. I was very pleasantly surprised for 2 reasons, cheapest custom pups I have come across and they sound every bit as good as some of the other more "boutique" renditions of a classic.

To my ears they are "hotter" than most single coils and are a bit darker and beefier. Not a lot of top end sparkle (which you should not have in a 60's reissue) but good highs, nice mid register without becoming too boomey and very solid bottom.

I also have and older (purchased 2nd hand off BC) paid in my Vintage Jaco Fretless, cheap as chips bass that with these boys and CTS pots/oil capacitor sounds better than most US standard Fenders.

I am very very pleased indeed and will certainly buy them again.