Why become a member? ×

RIP Phil Kubicki

TomRichards

I know this may not be the correct forum, but I am sad to inform you that Phil Kubicki has passed.

He was a friend, and one of the true masters of bass and guitar building. He was the kindest of souls and a great conversationalist as well.

The Ex-Factor, Factor and Key Factors were years ahead if their time, and one of the few never imitated. A tribute to his genius.

There is so much more I want to say, but my heart aches too much.

Please raise a glass to him today. Godspeed Phil, I will see you again one day.

What a shame. He had kept on working until just a couple of years ago and went into semi-retirement, moving from California to New Hampshire or Viriginia, or somewhere like that. He was a superb craftsmen and one of the most innovative bass designers ever. In fact, he might be the greatest bass visionary ever. The Ex Factor was so, so advanced at the time and pioneered ideas that still put it head and shoulders of most basses made today. And that was in terms of design, materials used and how he used them, electronics and fantastic ergonomic ideas.

He was also a Fender R&D man in the 70's before setting up on his own too.

I felt extremely lucky to get a Kubicki Ex Factor when I was 16, after months of hard saving at work. I've had two, #1777 and #1659, both 1989 'cross over' basses with the Fender custom shop stamp but made to the original spec with 18v electronics and 6 position preamps. Fabulous instruments, and without a doubt the ones that will hold the dearest place in my heart. I've had basses come and go since (such is my way) but the Kubicki Ex Factors were among the best. Only my old Status could compete with them.

Phil was also a fantastic guy. Always willing to offer advice by email or over the telephone, despite the fact that I had bought the basses second hand and he never saw a penny from me. He also shipped me some replacement parts free of charge once when I enquired about where I could replacement parts. A great guy, no doubt and a hard worker until the end!

Chris, he moved to Colorado briefly then to New Hampshire a couple of years ago. Phil passed away in NH. Funny, because Phil and I would joke about how he spent nearly 60 years living in Southern Cali where 60 degrees is considered "bitterly cold" then moved to a state where 60 degrees is a " heat wave."

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1363799674' post='2017880']
What a shame. He had kept on working until just a couple of years ago and went into semi-retirement, moving from California to New Hampshire or Viriginia, or somewhere like that. He was a superb craftsmen and one of the most innovative bass designers ever. In fact, he might be the greatest bass visionary ever. The Ex Factor was so, so advanced at the time and pioneered ideas that still put it head and shoulders of most basses made today. And that was in terms of design, materials used and how he used them, electronics and fantastic ergonomic ideas.

He was also a Fender R&D man in the 70's before setting up on his own too.

I felt extremely lucky to get a Kubicki Ex Factor when I was 16, after months of hard saving at work. I've had two, #1777 and #1659, both 1989 'cross over' basses with the Fender custom shop stamp but made to the original spec with 18v electronics and 6 position preamps. Fabulous instruments, and without a doubt the ones that will hold the dearest place in my heart. I've had basses come and go since (such is my way) but the Kubicki Ex Factors were among the best. Only my old Status could compete with them.

Phil was also a fantastic guy. Always willing to offer advice by email or over the telephone, despite the fact that I had bought the basses second hand and he never saw a penny from me. He also shipped me some replacement parts free of charge once when I enquired about where I could replacement parts. A great guy, no doubt and a hard worker until the end!
[/quote]

You got that first Kubicki from me Chris.

I'd just just like to echo whats already been said, I exchanged a few emails with Phil and he was always helpful, generous with his time and very patient.

I think he was also involved with the building of George Harrison's famous Rosewood Telecaster in the late 60's.

Anyway, RIP Phil and thanks.