Why become a member? ×

Hi from Bangkok

cedricvandermeulen

Hi,

I'm not only new to Basschat (which is not just .UK hopefully), but also new to playing bass - well, since a year now.
My work brought me and my family to Bangkok, where, after spending the last 20 years on the African continent, I am finally in a town where I can learn to play music. When my wife told me "do something else than just working" I grabbed, at the tender age of 44, my first bass guitar and subscribed at the Mahidol University - college of music for individual lessons in learning on how to play the bass guitar. Counting rhytm. Learning strings. Learning notes. Realised I had to follow a course in reading music. Had to buy a metronome.
Bangkok is a great place to be. Every self-respecting bar has at least one live band playing - every evening. Some bars even three bands. There are bars for hairy heavy metal freaks, classic rock, jazz - whatever you want. And sometimes even an artist comes to Bangkok for concerts. In a year, I've seen Sting, Megadeth, Joe Bonamassa, Billy Sheehan (with Mike Portnoy etc). Great !
Let me know when you're in the area !

Cedric

Following a course in reading music? Sounds like you're going pretty hard core with "doing something else other than working"!

But I wish you luck, and am jealous of where you live, if only for seeing Megadeth and Billy Sheehan in the same year. :P

Hi Cedric, welcome aboard. I have a house in Chumphon and will be moving out there in a couple of years time. I stop over in BK often. Bangkok is a mad place and I love it. The local guys are fantastic musos and they really can play. A great place to live. Good luck with the bass.
Sam.