Why become a member? ×

can anyone sugest cheap bass synth pedal ?

catsoupone

Hello , I'm looking for a synth pedal , just a cheap one to get me started , one of those 30 quid jobs .
Any sugestions ?
I'm quite interested in getting a woble bass sound . like those used in dudstep.
e.g. "wob wob wobwob" ?
And also some nice funk type noises .

as I understand it , the woble type noise can be achieved via distortion and some sort of envelope filter ?
I only vaguely grasp this to be honest , I know how to do it on a akai sampler and other equipment , but it would be easier for me to to play basslines on my bass as aposed to a midi keyboard.

if anyone can explain the the proccess in laymans terms that would be helpfull too , becouse mayby I can do it with the stuff I allready have ... ?
I have a cheep multi effects unit - GP120 , made by gear for music , it has various distortions , its mostly a hum generater , but its ok if you fiddle about with it to kill all the mess it makes.
and a - Ibanez PC10 prime dual chorus , wich I rarely use , but is well made , encased in mettal instead of cheap plastic , still working after a good ten years.
and a - Behiringer DD400 digital delay , not too impresst with it. plastic junk.

can I create any synth like effects with those some how ?
any advise is much appriated .
cheers :)

It can be done using a Boss SYB5 and an expression pedal to control the speed of your 'wobb'. I actually prefer the Behringer BSY600, as it does some stuff better than the Boss (for my needs anyway).

This video (from about 1'12") is a pretty good demo of what's possible. It's a Drum and Bass clip, but you'll get the idea.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMbP3Yr2nmk[/media]

Edited by paul_5

Thanks for the help , the BSY600 looks like what i'm after .
I'm sure I can fiddle about with that and come up with something. ..I wonder what it does to a vocal sighnal ...
a few reveiws mention the build quility being a bit flimsy but I suppose thats what you get for the price.
After messing about with the Behiringer DD400 digital delay pedal I bought recently I realise its actuely pretty good once you get the hang of it , slapback sounds good , just looks flimsy when you put it next to one with a mettal case.

so yeah I think I'll get a bsy600 and see what noises I make .
I apriaciate the advice , nice one folks : )

Edited by catsoupone

i tried the syb5 and like it but was struggling with it - the reason i found out afterwards is most likely the tracking issues with inconsistent input levels

if you have problems with either pedal tracking accurately try something like the boss limiter/enhancer in front of it perhaps

Have to admit, I've never got on with synth pedals, I've never got them to track as well as I'd like. The digitech synth wah is an excellent option too. Perhaps about £40-45 second hand, and you dont get the option of an expression pedal, but it can do some excellent things! Its decent for getting a simple envelope filter type sound too, so its really versatile.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ricksflynn' timestamp='1362207602' post='1997100']
+1 for the BSY600!

Just got myself a Behringer BSY600 synthesizer pedal! Still playing but seems great for the money!
[/quote]

I also have one of these, it does wobs. Quite well.
Only real problem I have had with it is the switch often doesn't want to turn off, so I use a bypass looper to flick the whole chain off, problem solved.
If you have tracking problems, stick a boost or a fuzz in front of it, and it behaves itself a lot better.

As for the expression pedal, it would be useful, but a quick tweak with your hand will get the speed you want if you're skint, like me.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1363258184' post='2010488']

I also have one of these, it does wobs. Quite well.
Only real problem I have had with it is the switch often doesn't want to turn off, so I use a bypass looper to flick the whole chain off, problem solved.
If you have tracking problems, stick a boost or a fuzz in front of it, and it behaves itself a lot better.

As for the expression pedal, it would be useful, but a quick tweak with your hand will get the speed you want if you're skint, like me.
[/quote]

To solve the switching off issue, take the battery cover off, it's the little rubber 'poker' thing that sometimes misses the little button thing. Stick a rubber foot on the end of it or something to widen the footprint so it doesn't miss the little button thing. !!

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1363271359' post='2010782']
To solve the switching off issue, take the battery cover off, it's the little rubber 'poker' thing that sometimes misses the little button thing. Stick a rubber foot on the end of it or something to widen the footprint so it doesn't miss the little button thing. !!
[/quote]

It's more annoying than that, it has a hold function as well, so sometimes when you try to turn it off, it holds instead.
Bypass box is good, plus it saves tap dancing when am running it at an octaver as well.