Why become a member? ×

1979 pre EB Stingray SOLD PENDING THE USUAL

stingrayPete1977

Hi everyone, I picked this up last year from a BC member but via eBay, it has also belonged to at least one other member on here, I stripped it down and cleaned it all up, resoldered the dodgy earth and fitted it with EB 40-100 strings before setting it up just how I like with no issues at all, the truss rod and microtilt neck adjustments are working as Leo intended. I only wanted it as a collectors item really as I am mainly a five string player these days but it was so good I started gigging it straight away where a 5 string was not needed and took it to any jam nights etc that I could until disaster struck, I broke my wrist! :( After that I switched to electric upright bass as it meant less twisting of the wrist to be able to play, of course as time has passed it has given me gas for a proper upright bass and as this is my least used bass it is with sadness that I am putting it on here to fund one.

OK 1979 is the year I have dated this bass at as it has a 1978 date on the neck and a 3 bolt neck and the correct sting thru bridge for that era but the preamp pots are dated 1979 hence the newest thing on it, it has plenty of mojo and an awesome worn patch around the main playing area on the rear of the neck, it makes it feel much more special and old feeling than a mint Stingray bass (which I also own that is not for sale!), the body has knocks and dings inline with the age and wear on the neck but I would hate to see it refinished really, there are a few layers of paint but after much deliberation I think it is a factory refin probably due to a flaw or knock when being built, it is hard to say and I am the first owner to even suggest that may be the case so I am being picky yet honest. The fingerboard has been relaquered at some point probably after a refret who knows but its all done well and the frets are all dressed nicely and this has been done many years ago and aged nicely, It realy does feel the business to play and look at, nothing like a new ClassicRay from EBMM and not going to go down in value like one either ;)

It has the muted string thru bridge.
Three bolt micro tilt neck.
Tantulum capacitor preamp rather than the later electrolytic ones.
Original preamp.
Original control plate and knobs.
Original string tree.
Original 3 bolt plate.
Original pickup.
Original pickguard.
Original tuners.
Working bullet truss rod. (sometimes an issue on early Rays)
Earlier Logo higher up the headstock rather than near the edge, correct for a '78 neck.
[b]Sounds epic.[/b]

[b][/b]

[b]£1375 ovno or possible trade for an upright bass [/b]with a bit of money either way possible, As you can tell this is a reluctant for sale thread and if nothing comes of it I wont be too upset :) If I find the money for an upright from somewhere else this will be pulled ;)

I dont really want to post this and I would rather someone try it first and see it in the flesh as its a 34 year old bass not a new ernie ball bass! meet half way is possible within reason and I am based in Stafford (not button moon).

Of course my feedback and remember after all I am stingrayPete!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/139610-feedback-for-stingraypete1977/page__p__1450321__hl__feedback%20stingraypete1977__fromsearch__1#entry1450321"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1450321[/url]

Any questions or specific photos please just ask :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

amazing! makes me regret having just bought my SR5 as I may have had enough for this............... :(
absolutely fab looking bass and at that price........hmmm if I sold my Jazz and Ray 4 string...........

i dont expect you'll have long to wait for this to go.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1362160047' post='1996662']
pete

is that my old bass?

did you get it from anthorp?

i seem to remember that ding
[/quote]

Yes, Yes and you remember correctly :D

As a known BC man of knowledge on all things bass I am happy to hear your thoughts on this particular beast?