Why become a member? ×

Keyboard players - poor timing?

mingsta

I suppose KB players are no different from any other musicians. There are good ones and not so good ones. Re timekeeping, there are so many musicians that rely on the bass and drums to keep time/swing etc whereas I always feel that every man should be his own rhythm section with an inate sense of swing/groove/whatever.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1361877253' post='1992184']
I suppose KB players are no different from any other musicians. There are good ones and not so good ones. Re timekeeping, there are so many musicians that rely on the bass and drums to keep time/swing etc whereas [b]I always feel that every man should be his own rhythm section with an inate sense of swing/groove/whatever.[/b]
[/quote]

Bang on, if you don't have that there's not much you can say on your instrument.

I have played with one particular KB player for years, and it never fails to shock me how ham fisted, un swinging and groove ruiningly bad his playing is. On a gig I have to try hard to pretend he's not there. What is odd is this, he has a superb ear. One of the best I've ever come across. It's a funny old world......

The good Keyboard players I know keep away from the bottom end of the keyboard. In fact the best of the lot only has a truncated 'itty bitty' keyboard (not the usual 88 keys) which means he can't play the bass end even if he wanted to.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1362420911' post='1999467']
I have played with one particular KB player for years, and it never fails to shock me how ham fisted, un swinging and groove ruiningly bad his playing is. On a gig I have to try hard to pretend he's not there. What is odd is this, he has a superb ear. One of the best I've ever come across. It's a funny old world......
[/quote]

Not using his superb ear very well then is he :)