Why become a member? ×

ampeg mains plug

paul torch

Hello all, apologies in advance if this sounds like a dumb question.

I've just purchased an Ampeg PF-350 :-).

Got it home and out the box and the mains plug is one of those 2-pin affairs.

My question is, what is the best thing to do here? Remove the 2-pin plug and replace with a uk 3-pin plug (and if so, what size fuse should I use), is there some kind of adapter available or just get a complete new mains cable?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Edited by paul torch

Read the manual carefully. A 2-pin mains lead could be for the US or Europe. Changing a European mains plug for a UK one is unlikely to do any harm, as long as you know what you're doing. Changing a US mains plug for a UK one (even if you know what you're doing because the cable colours will be different to UK/European ones) could result in a damaged amp unless it can accept UK mains voltage. And if it is damaged in that way then I doubt it would be covered by the warranty. An unlikely occurence if the amp was bought from an approved dealer, but mistakes can happen.

Did I mention about reading the manual carefully?

Or call the supplier you bought it from and demand a UK mains lead.

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1361223141' post='1983188']
The PF-350 is a dual voltage unit, US and UK/Euro voltage, so probably comes with a two pin as standard. If you need a lead, let me know and I can send you a spare :)
[/quote]

Thanks for all the advice guys. Just didn't want to do anything rash and end up screwing something up. When I tried it in the shop I think they must have just unplugged one of the other amps.

That's very cool of you Yorick. I'll PM you my address.