Why become a member? ×

1980 Yamaha BB1200 SOLD Pending

Ashborygirl

Sold Pending the usuals.

[s]Hello Folks!

As my Dingwall isn't moving I'm offering up my Yamaha BB1200 for sale too.

This is the bass that was made famous by Chris Cross in Ultravox, the blokey out of Herbie Hancock's band, Hooky & some fella called McCartney. Yamaha's take on the P Bass but with a through neck & the pickup reversed. Alder wings, 5 piece maple/walnut neck, quality bridge & tension adjustable machine heads.

The bass is in superb condition for a 33 year old instrument, a few pin head sized impressions, one larger dink through the finish is pictured - that's the worst mark on the bass. At some point a bespoke scratchplate has been fitted, it's a very professional job, properly shaped & even has the cutout to access the truss rod. Frets are as new, truss rod turns in both directions & its got a brand new set of Chromes on it. Included is the original Yamaha case (well worn!) &, remarkably, the original booklet, cleaning cloth & tool kit are all intact.

If you've been looking for one of these you'll struggle to find a nicer one. It's a through neck Japanese made bass from Yamaha's golden period for less than £500, nothing to touch it at this sort of price. I have a suitable box & packing and am happy to ship at your expense.[/s]

Edited by Ashborygirl

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1361098826' post='1980925']At some point a bespoke scratchplate has been fitted, it's a very professional job, properly shaped & even has the cutout to access the truss rod.[/quote]
The scratchplate is standard. These were included with the kit, but you don't often see them fitted, I guess because it meant drilling four holes in the surface.

I think Hooky's was the cherryburst version.

This is exactly like mine, but mine doesn't have the pickguard. As Noel said, it's unusual to see them fitted. My only fretted bass now and I love it :) It's great to see this has the tool kit included ;)

A great price too! BCer Mojo was asking about buying mine recently, maybe he'll fancy this one...?

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1361135116' post='1981727']And to think, tomorrow, someone somewhere will go out and spend that much on a Mexican Precision![/quote]
There's also the point that if this were a 70s Precision it would be double, if not triple, the price (given condition, etc). That, and given the current exchange rate it would cost you circa £900 to get one as nice from Japan.

[quote name='basslondon' timestamp='1361217002' post='1983039']
Yamaha basses from this period were also funk machines..... check out this video at about 02:28 and see Sakuri going mental on his BB2000 (the two pickup version of this) : [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIK1Vn6Va3w[/media]
[/quote]

Great video mate ;) and nice to see a white 2000 in action.

These basses are the mutt's nuts - someone come and get it!!

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1361215172' post='1982991'][H]adn't realised quite how many people were aware of how good these basses are.[/quote]
There are a few of us. We lurk in the shadows. You should check out the BB thread http://basschat.co.uk/topic/126553-yamaha-bbs/page__hl__bb