Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan

andy67

[quote name='Jase' post='206302' date='May 26 2008, 01:34 AM']What don't you like about it?[/quote]

I was kidding really and I do have a lot of respect for his playing, but I'm not too fond of how Sheehan's style emphasises technique over musicality. I'm a big fan of advanced bass techniques but I prefer artists who perfect them and look for ways to make them original and above all musical such as Michael Manring and Jean Baudin. As far as fast ensemble bass playing goes I'd rather listen to Geddy or Entwistle who both do/did all that and so much more, with so much more musicality to what they play.

I really like the look of those sea foam green Attitudes - how cool to have a signed one as well.

I saw Billy play with Vai in LA at a big charity gig at the House of Blues. We got to stand a few yards away from him & his playing was awesome.

My poor wife endured about 3-4 hours of almost completely instrumental guitar rock - not a single vocal until the second jam session encore. Mind you, it was my birthday and we were on out honeymoon so the poor ever sufferin' thing was generally OK about it all :)

[quote name='Josh' post='206413' date='May 26 2008, 10:57 AM']I've still got the advanced techniques DVD and still watch it time to time, as it did help a good deal to set me on the right tracks, both soundwise (Compression etc...) and technique wise. I tried the 3 finger approach after heavily modding my P'Up positioning on my old bass to match his, and it resulted in just being a case of not feeling natural and really found that wasn't right for me and started to take a back seat and become more associated with the groove. I still use ome of those exercises still, just with 2 fingers instead and has really helped to no end.

Ummm I think it's Danny Growl, I can respect he has learnt a great deal from Billy but in the end he just sounds and looks like a copy to every extent so to me he looses his appeal as an original player.[/quote]

Danny Growl, thats it!

same as me, the exercises and generalities help fine tune your own motor skills.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='206449' date='May 26 2008, 11:48 AM']I was kidding really and I do have a lot of respect for his playing, but I'm not too fond of how Sheehan's style emphasises technique over musicality. I'm a big fan of advanced bass techniques but I prefer artists who perfect them and look for ways to make them original and above all musical such as Michael Manring and Jean Baudin. As far as fast ensemble bass playing goes I'd rather listen to Geddy or Entwistle who both do/did all that and so much more, with so much more musicality to what they play.[/quote]

Not sure I agree with you there Oscar, although Sheehan is known for his solo's, techniques etc, I think he is also an accomplished "bass player" and is without doubt capable of the supporting role, understands song and melody....c'mon, he's got to be one of the most respected bass players in Rock music.....I don't think it's fair comment to say he's just a technician :)

[quote name='Jase' post='206995' date='May 27 2008, 12:58 AM']Not sure I agree with you there Oscar, although Sheehan is known for his solo's, techniques etc, I think he is also an accomplished "bass player" and is without doubt capable of the supporting role, understands song and melody....c'mon, he's got to be one of the most respected bass players in Rock music.....I don't think it's fair comment to say he's just a technician :)[/quote]

Of course (aside from being self a confessed 'theory illiterate'), but from what I've seen of him when he does get his turn in the spotlight he just does all his technique stuff, I really do love a shameless show of technical ability but thats just all I've seen of Sheehan, maybe I need to look into him more to see what he's really about but technique alone just doesn't keep my attention.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='206999' date='May 27 2008, 01:15 AM']Of course (aside from being self a confessed 'theory illiterate'), but from what I've seen of him when he does get his turn in the spotlight he just does all his technique stuff, I really do love a shameless show of technical ability but thats just all I've seen of Sheehan, maybe I need to look into him more to see what he's really about but technique alone just doesn't keep my attention.[/quote]

Youtube - Mr Big

He's not exactly showing off there, nuff said :)

I can't deny that Billy had an influence on me and I did Start to use some of the solo techniques but slowly realised that it wasn't me at all, like many others I still love it. This is what happens when a player concentrates on only one aspect of Sheehan, I just think it's utterly useless.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY3aPIQ2Q9Q&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY3aPIQ2Q9Q...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='andy67' post='206385' date='May 26 2008, 10:17 AM']billy's style is not quite everyone's bag but...his performance, craft and skill is second to no-one!

he has fun when playing, lines are in the bag before the flashy stuff and what a career!

andy[/quote]
I agree, i don't like billy's style, but i'll admit, technically he's a good player. Plus i have to admire what he did for you there, that's really cool. It's rare for that sort of thing to happen these days.

I feel honoured to have my hero sign my bass.

It's also great, that in this day and age a legend would take the time to do this and send such a nice sentiment - not many do!

I've mailed billy a few times over the years and had a response/discussion on many occasions. He loeves to talk bass, more significantly the attitude series, and really, really loves feedback on his solo stuff - positive or negative!

I had a discussion with him over the split of Mr Big and the last album. I said the last album was souless and lacking fire and passion he and paul gilbert displayed when playing. Billy agreed and said this was the worst mr big album and he hated it.

personally i thank that last mr big album with Kotzen is very good - as is alot of Kotzens solo stuff. You can tell Billys not feeling it though by this video!! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVUl2wpipo"]Mr Big - Shine[/url] - definitely not his usual self in the few shots there are of him!!!

peace

c

[quote name='Jase' post='207008' date='May 27 2008, 02:00 AM']I can't deny that Billy had an influence on me and I did Start to use some of the solo techniques but slowly realised that it wasn't me at all, like many others I still love it. This is what happens when a player concentrates on only one aspect of Sheehan, I just think it's utterly useless.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY3aPIQ2Q9Q&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY3aPIQ2Q9Q...feature=related[/url][/quote]

As I said before, I can respect the amount of influence he has gotten from Sheehan but ultimatley he has very little originality about him. Send in the clones.

Though I've always wondered if an Atittude is a good all around bass, as I've always loved the look, what say you Andy??

[quote name='Jase' post='207008' date='May 27 2008, 02:00 AM']I can't deny that Billy had an influence on me and I did Start to use some of the solo techniques but slowly realised that it wasn't me at all, like many others I still love it. This is what happens when a player concentrates on only one aspect of Sheehan, I just think it's utterly useless.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY3aPIQ2Q9Q&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY3aPIQ2Q9Q...feature=related[/url][/quote]

I love Billy's song work and his dexterity and technical prowess... I have to agree with ya Jase.

[quote]gordonprice (1 day ago) Reply: I think that's the perfect bass for you, you've nailed Billy's feeling but you add so much of your own style - you're awesome![/quote]

I have to disagree with that comment.. it's derivative and blatantly made up on the spot... Where is he actually going?

[quote name='Josh' post='207335' date='May 27 2008, 04:14 PM']As I said before, I can respect the amount of influence he has gotten from Sheehan but ultimatley he has very little originality about him. Send in the clones.

Though I've always wondered if an Atittude is a good all around bass, as I've always loved the look, what say you Andy??[/quote]

This will be predictable! :) :huh:

I absolutely love the attitude bass so much so I would recommend it to any pbass player!

I have played mostly pbasses but always found them to be lacking in real whooomfff. I had the pleasure of playing a telebass and then an eb3, both had the whooomff factor but not the definition I wanted! When I played my first attitude (cheaper special edition) it felt right in terms of sound and feel! I saved enough to buy a signature model it surpassed my expectations and has been a wonderful instrument to play as well as feeling right at home with me and my chubby body shape! :huh: lol!

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='207507' date='May 27 2008, 07:53 PM']This will be predictable! :huh: :huh:

I absolutely love the attitude bass so much so I would recommend it to any pbass player!

I have played mostly pbasses but always found them to be lacking in real whooomfff. I had the pleasure of playing a telebass and then an eb3, both had the whooomff factor but not the definition I wanted! When I played my first attitude (cheaper special edition) it felt right in terms of sound and feel! I saved enough to buy a signature model it surpassed my expectations and has been a wonderful instrument to play as well as feeling right at home with me and my chubby body shape! :huh: lol!

andy[/quote]

Yeah, using sig bass is great, I was really made up with my Geddy, a guitar player I know uses a Kotzen Tele and an Eric Johnson Strat...great guitars and I bet The Attitude is a brilliant bass to play, I'd love to try one :)

definitely in the rock context!

Am i suggesting it is a on trick pony? maybe? anyone use an attitude bass for other music styles?

former band members have used Vai's Ibanez Universe and Gem while my buddy at work has a Steve Morse sig. Musicman guitar which is real sweet.

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='207897' date='May 28 2008, 11:01 AM']definitely in the rock context!

Am i suggesting it is a on trick pony? maybe? anyone use an attitude bass for other music styles?

former band members have used Vai's Ibanez Universe and Gem while my buddy at work has a Steve Morse sig. Musicman guitar which is real sweet.

andy[/quote]

I definetly be sold on one if they ever added a jazz pick up by the bridge, that would open up it's full amount of tones!

[quote name='andy67' post='208147' date='May 28 2008, 04:00 PM']you could do that yourself josh, not a difficult task unless you are me and crap at woodwork! lol

andy[/quote]

Ohhh I am, so it be down to a luthier. Though I wouldn't know to get a Di'Marzio to match them up but then again their a tad too much on the treble side of thing.

the 'normal' attitudes have a J pickup at the bridge:

[url="http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/images/stockImages/DSCN3786-MSS%20616.JPG"]pic[/url]

never tried one but i kinda like em - they also did one of those with a single MM pickup too which is [i]very[/i] nice. Pity they never did them with a maple fingerboard mind you.

peace

c

By the way, inspired by this story, last night I've wrote an e-mail to Mr. Steve Bailey, asking for a few advices about exercises in his bass book..

Hope to get an answer soon. At least, an answer...
Anybody got any 'contacts' with him before, maybe? :)