Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Issues.

col2558

Does anybody have problems with Ashdown amps? I have been using 2 Electric Blue 180¡s and both have the same problem, they keep cutting out or partially cutting out and crackling, The controls have been cleaned so that isn’t the problem! I have just got hold of a MAG evo 2 500 and it has less power than the EB180 and the VU meter is constantly in the red, unlike the EB which is always with loads of headroom. Is it me ?

There are a lot of cheaper Ashdowns out there. A lot of them have been abused beyond all reason.

Of course with any brand there will be some failures. In the same pricerange, my perception is that Ashdown have no more and no less failures than most other manufacturers.

The board mount stuff needs resoldering, fairly easy job. Ashdowns are made sensibly so you can do it. I've done quite a few of them, better to do it early before it causes other problems. Same issue happens with anything with controls an jacks mounted on pcb, which is most modern stuff. Ensuring the muts on the front of the amp on jacks and sockets helps stop it happening, but ones it goes, it needs to be soldered.

Whomever cleaned the controls should have sorted the actual problem since getting at them to clean them involves the same opening the amp as fixing it.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Dont worry too much about the VU meter, it's just a show thing really, just ensure the input levels are not turned to 11!

The amp must be damaged if you getting less headroom through a lower range 180w EB compared to a mid range 575w Evo 2.
I would get it checked out or take a look yourself as Mr Foxen says

For the record I believe ashdowns are good amps, I and fellow bass player friends have always got a good sound out of them.

Cheers.

Edited by baseline9

it sounds like the amps you are using are a bit dodgy/have been abused. FWIW, I have had and used several ashdown rigs in my time (including an EB180) and I have managed to get a nice tone that can be heard and sits well in a mix with every single one, and they have never had any problems :)

I would actually put the MAG600 head up as one of the best bass heads I've owned, especially for its price.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1360761090' post='1975950']
I would actually put the MAG600 head up as one of the best bass heads I've owned, especially for its price.
[/quote]

I know where you are coming from. I still miss mine as a straightforward, powerful, reliable amp. The EQ frequencies are perfect too - more so than those on the ABM in my opinion.