Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bass Terror issues

jaydentaku

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Helvetica]I emailed this to Orange, but I thought I would share and see if anybody has an idea of what is happening here. I am no expert. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Helvetica]"I have a bass terror 500 and I am having some issues with it. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]The first time was with a mark bass 210 traveler (102p - 8ohm), it was playing fine and then I heard a loud short noise, electrical, like a squeal/buzz. That was last week. It was set at 8ohms on the head. (via speakon cable). This was with volume at 12, gain at 12, using a passive custom bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Second was tonight with my OBC410, same noise. Its last's about a second, very loud. Ohm's set correctly, via speakon. Using a Warwick corvette $$ (active)[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]So, it can't be either of the cabs. I have tried different cables. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Secondly, when I was playing through the mark bass, I decided to try it with 2 cabs for the first time. The OBC410 and the mark bass 210, both 8 ohms, so I switched the head to 4ohms. Both cabs via speakons.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Only the mark bass was working, nothing from the OBC. I switched the cables round. Just the same. I used jack cables on both and just the same. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Given the simplicity of the controls and the inputs, I am not sure that I could have been doing something wrong and I am concerned that there is a fault or potentially two faults with the head" [/font][/color]

[font="Helvetica"][color="#000000"]etc[/color][/font][/size]

Is the Orange jsut amking a nosie sometimes but otherwise works? And the trouble is with two cabs/being on the 4 ohm setting? The ohm settings jsut shifts the internal limiter so no scenarios where it can cause breakage without extreme volume.

Open it up and check to see if one of the caps has exploded.little battery looking things, one might have popped off its cover and ejected what looks like a roll of soggy carboard,, if it went really well, might just be bulging if not.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1360482780' post='1970944']
Is the Orange jsut amking a nosie sometimes but otherwise works?
[/quote]

The first scenario was at the NE bass bash, it was on from 11:00 till 4, but only being played intermittently.

Last night was a 40 minute set.

Yeah, it works fine other was, just a 1 second burst.

i will open it up. i hope its not a batch of rip off caps.

Might be a bit random, but I had the same problem with my Mesa and bass terror amps.
As a coincidence I had just bought a new set of planet waves guitar cables. I kept getting short loud screeches.
I changed back to my trusty old whirlwind cables and never heard the sound again.
I never really got to the bottom of the problem and I have not had the problem since.
I gave the leads to my guitarist and he never had a problem with them.

Cheers

Thebassman

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1360672200' post='1974237']
thanks for that. Additionally, the orange bulb light isn't working. It was intermittent at the gig on saturday and now nothing. Not best pleased, plus, Orange have yet to reply.
[/quote]

That's disappointing to hear, I always thought Orange had good customer service.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1360672200' post='1974237']
thanks for that. Additionally, the orange bulb light isn't working. It was intermittent at the gig on saturday and now nothing. Not best pleased, plus, Orange have yet to reply.
[/quote]

Its a car type bulb, so auto shop should be able to sort you

Thanks Happy Jack. No, its treat with great respect.

I rang them just now. It is a 2010 according to the serial, but he didn't think twice about getting it fixed gratis. He said from the symptoms it is likely that the PSU is on its way out. I expected an expensive trip to the PO, but they are sending a courier out to get it.

Really impressed!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1361535132' post='1987069']
So, TNT were woefully bad, but once they finally collected it on Friday, it was with Orange on Monday, fixed Tuesday and with me on Wednesday.

He put a new PSU unit in there, a new bulb and new screws as they had been chewed up.

All free, it wasn't even discussed.
[/quote]

That is stunning service. Half the reason I went with Orange is because they are easy to deal with and respond/sort out repairs quickly.

You wouldn't get that with other manufacturers, apart from perhaps Genz...but as they are through Fender UK, I doubt they would repair out of warranty gear for free.

Edited by Musicman20

So, TNT were woefully bad, but once they finally collected it on Friday, it was with Orange on Monday, fixed Tuesday and with me on Wednesday.

He put a new PSU unit in there, a new bulb and new screws as they had been chewed up.

[/quote]

That is really good service! Does it all work now?

[/quote]

I've had my Terror Bass now for 3-4 years and never had any complaints, but stories like yours set my mind at ease, even though the amp had initially failed Orange sorting out makes me think I've got a good product.